I heart Rockbox
Apr 14, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #46 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This would be the folder supplied as a Zip file, which, under OS X, does not unzip. It acts as though it's decompressing, but nothing actually happens. I also started going the manual route with the installation on my 5G iPod on my Mac before switching over to the ThinkPad. The previous comments about Rockbox not being too OS X savvy are true, unfortunately.

Well, actually it decompress just fine (I just tested).
Its just that the output folder is named .rockbox and hence its hidden. Since folder/files starting with a dot (.) are hidden.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #47 of 57
Thank you! I really must have fallen asleep with that. The thought did cross my mind that the archives were decompressing and getting sent to invisible land, but I didn't take the time to check into it. Good thing I only seem to have tried to decompress it with the Finder 6 times... Secure Delete is busy shredding about 1,600 files related to Rockbox right now. Anyway, there certainly would not be any need for a third-party unarchiving tool for this then, as mentioned a couple of times elsewhere in this thread.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you misunderstand what i'm saying. the install selects the 30gb installas it recognizes all 5-5.5G ipod videos as being 30gb models, so it installs the 32mb version of RB and you CANT select any higher than 650mah aven if you have a 950mah battery in there.

the only way to do it properly is to do a manual install of the 64mb RB for 80GB

This is what's called a bug. Get a flyspray account at rockbox.org and report it.

Here's what's happening: There's a config header file for each hardware platform that contains a bunch of definitions, including the battery capacity limitations.

For the ipod video, the battery section looks like this:

Quote:

/* Type of mobile power */
#if (MEM==32) /* this is the 30GB-model */
# define BATTERY_CAPACITY_DEFAULT 400 /* default battery capacity for the 30GB model */
# define BATTERY_CAPACITY_MIN 300 /* min. capacity selectable */
# define BATTERY_CAPACITY_MAX 800 /* max. capacity selectable */
#else /* these are the 60/80GB-models */
# define BATTERY_CAPACITY_DEFAULT 600 /* default battery capacity for the 60/80GB model */
# define BATTERY_CAPACITY_MIN 500 /* min. capacity selectable */
# define BATTERY_CAPACITY_MAX 1000 /* max. capacity selectable */
#endif
#define BATTERY_CAPACITY_INC 50 /* capacity increment */
#define BATTERY_TYPES_COUNT 1 /* only one type */

What the code is saying here is that if you have a model with 32 megs of ram, the default battery is 400mah, and the minumum and maximum are 300 and 800 respectively.

But if you have a model with 64 megs of ram, which coincidentally has a bigger harddrive and thus a bigger enclosure, the default is 600mAh with minumum of 500mAh and maximum of 1000mAh.

This is how it is coded in 3.1 and 3.2 and it hasn't changed in the current SVN.

If the coded limitations are wrong because someone came up with a higher capacity rating of battery that fits in the enclosure, or if you're not offered a battery size that should be available based on the provided limitations but just isn't, you should submit a bug, and someone will probably fix it.

I'd do it myself, but, since i don't have the hardware, i can't troubleshoot it, so i'm not an appropriate person to involve in the fix process.

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

I think you misunderstand what i'm saying. the install selects the 30gb installas it recognizes all 5-5.5G ipod videos as being 30gb models, so it installs the 32mb version of RB and you CANT select any higher than 650mah aven if you have a 950mah battery in there.

the only way to do it properly is to do a manual install of the 64mb RB for 80GB

I was talking about the guy who was asking about his 850mah battery and what setting he is supposed to use.

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad Rockbox doesn't sound as good as iRiver IHP1xx firmware, and that it freezes far more often when using Rockbox.

When did you last try rockbox on an h1xx?

It does sound as good as the iriver firmware. unless by "good" you mean "SOS WOW ROXORS LOLOL". Because SRS WOW is in fact a superior bass enhancer. But geezum crow, if you're talking about SQ, bass enhancement doesn't enter the question.

And i can't remember the last time rockbox locked up on my H120.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what's called a bug. Get a flyspray account at rockbox.org and report it.

Here's what's happening: There's a config header file for each hardware platform that contains a bunch of definitions, including the battery capacity limitations.

For the ipod video, the battery section looks like this:

What the code is saying here is that if you have a model with 32 megs of ram, the default battery is 400mah, and the minumum and maximum are 300 and 800 respectively.

But if you have a model with 64 megs of ram, which coincidentally has a bigger harddrive and thus a bigger enclosure, the default is 600mAh with minumum of 500mAh and maximum of 1000mAh.

This is how it is coded in 3.1 and 3.2 and it hasn't changed in the current SVN.

If the coded limitations are wrong because someone came up with a higher capacity rating of battery that fits in the enclosure, or if you're not offered a battery size that should be available based on the provided limitations but just isn't, you should submit a bug, and someone will probably fix it.

I'd do it myself, but, since i don't have the hardware, i can't troubleshoot it, so i'm not an appropriate person to involve in the fix process.

interesting info, but I found out about the bug in...you guessed it... known bugs on the RB forum, so they are well aware of it.

the bug isnt to do with trying to install a larger battery in a 30gb ipod with a 32mb board, its a bug that the 64mb board is recognized as a 32mb board.
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis
I was talking about the guy who was asking about his 850mah battery and what setting he is supposed to use.

ah ok.. my bad
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal
Too bad Rockbox doesn't sound as good as iRiver IHP1xx firmware, and that it freezes far more often when using Rockbox.

sounds great to me
confused.gif
and also havent had one freeze on my H120 since aquiring it a couple months ago, maybe something else is wrong with your unit

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

the bug isnt to do with trying to install a larger battery in a 30gb ipod with a 32mb board, its a bug that the 64mb board is recognized as a 32mb board.

Ah. Well, IMHO the rockbox install utility is a big bucket of fail anyhow. I mean the sentiment is nice but it doesn't f'ing work, and big huge chunks of functionality are silently missing.

It'll cheerily inform you of it's success when it has in fact utterly failed to perform critical tasks. It will quietly fail to inform you that prerequisites were not met and march happily along as though nothing is wrong. It should never have seen the light of day in it's current incarnation - not without a lot of very frank warnings, at least.

(If it sounds like i'm being overly negative, it's because I complain about software professionally)

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #55 of 57
I just did a manual install on my 80GB Video, and it doesn't seem to be running 3.2.....even though I used the latest builds and things on the install guide.

Version r20710-090415. I'm just curious since all my other rockboxed players (30GB Video, H332) will flash 3.2 - etc at bootup, and the 80GB doesn't.

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #56 of 57
Yeah, the latest build will give you the svn revision number and the day it was built.

It's not a release, thus no release number.

It's not v3.2 - it's svn revision 20710 and it was built in 2009 in april on the 15th day. If you wanted 3.2 rather than an automated build, you should have downloaded 3.2 rather than an automated build.

Rockbox is under very active development and the full releases get some care put into them to assure that nothing major is broken. For example the usb stack for portalplayer targets is disabled for most DAPs in all the releases but enabled by default in svn for about 6 weeks now.

When you get the latest build, you get the absolute latest, which may have broken stuff. or may be just fine.

It's probably just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back