I have to come clean. I bought the Sennheiser HD800, AGAIN.
Mar 25, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #16 of 35
Not with headphones. But I've sure seen a lot of it with audiophile gear and other pursuits over the years.

The Internet does tend to concentrate sufferers of that malady all in one place. For safekeeping?

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:
Proving once again that for many Head-Fi'ers the joy is in the buying, not the owning.

STAGE 1: The Idea of an HD800
STAGE 2: The researching of the HD800 and alternatives
STAGE 3: The agonizing over whether to "pull the trigger"
STAGE 4: The buying of an HD800
STAGE 5: The honeymoon with the HD800
STAGE 6: The ineffable sense that the HD800 is not quite "All That" after all
STAGE 7: The selling off of the HD800

STAGE 8: Time passes, other headphones come and go...

STAGE 9: The Idea of an HD800
STAGE 10: The researching of the HD800 and alternatives
STAGE 11: The agonizing over whether to re-pull the triggerSTAGE 4: The buying of an HD800
STAGE 12: The honeymoon with the HD800
STAGE 13: The ineffable sense that the HD800 is not quite "All That" after all

Lather, rinse, repeat stages 1-7 until you run out of money or die of old age...
After almost a year, I'm still at stage 5. They surprise me every day. I've experienced the whole sequence with other gear though.

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #18 of 35

Quote:
Not with headphones. But I've sure seen a lot of it with audiophile gear and other pursuits over the years.

The Internet does tend to concentrate sufferers of that malady all in one place. For safekeeping?

Well, the damage they can do here is somewhat limited by the crappy software.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #19 of 35

Quote:
Proving once again that for many Head-Fi'ers the joy is in the buying, not the owning.

STAGE 1: The Idea of an HD800
STAGE 2: The researching of the HD800 and alternatives
STAGE 3: The agonizing over whether to "pull the trigger"
STAGE 4: The buying of an HD800
STAGE 5: The honeymoon with the HD800
STAGE 6: The ineffable sense that the HD800 is not quite "All That" after all
STAGE 7: The selling off of the HD800

STAGE 8: Time passes, other headphones come and go...

STAGE 9: The Idea of an HD800
STAGE 10: The researching of the HD800 and alternatives
STAGE 11: The agonizing over whether to re-pull the triggerSTAGE 4: The buying of an HD800
STAGE 12: The honeymoon with the HD800
STAGE 13: The ineffable sense that the HD800 is not quite "All That" after all

Lather, rinse, repeat stages 1-7 until you run out of money or die of old age...

Brent, you nailed it.  I would laugh, but I would be laugh at myself.  Instead of selling my HD800s when they don't do it for me any more, I put them away.  A few months later I try them again and fall in love again.  (This week, the T1 is my favorite.  Last month it was the HE-6.  The HD800 is on the lower rack, but as it ages I expect it will mystically improve in sound quality within the next few weeks.) 

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
Brent, you nailed it.  I would laugh, but I would be laugh at myself.  Instead of selling my HD800s when they don't do it for me any more, I put them away.  A few months later I try them again and fall in love again.  (This week, the T1 is my favorite.  Last month it was the HE-6.  The HD800 is on the lower rack, but as it is ages I expect it will mystically improve in sound quality within the next few weeks.) 

Wow! What did you say you do again?

But seriously, Brent has indeed nailed it, with a searing insight I can only envy. I have to suspect he's speaking from experience, not only with headphones but just about every material artifact in life.
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 35
so hd 800 from our friend sennheiser are that good?....

i was considering getting ones, with headstage arrow amp and cowon j3 as source, i know they are not that powerfull... what is the price for an amp for them, that to make them rock?.....

and also, are they that great, so that they will deserve the money? 1000 euros (1300$)  after all are not that low!

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #22 of 35

Quote:

Brent, you nailed it.  I would laugh, but I would be laugh at myself.  Instead of selling my HD800s when they don't do it for me any more, I put them away.  A few months later I try them again and fall in love again.  (This week, the T1 is my favorite.  Last month it was the HE-6.  The HD800 is on the lower rack, but as it ages I expect it will mystically improve in sound quality within the next few weeks.) 

I should have done what you're doing.  Live and learn right.  :)

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
so hd 800 from our friend sennheiser are that good?....

i was considering getting ones, with headstage arrow amp and cowon j3 as source, i know they are not that powerfull... what is the price for an amp for them, that to make them rock?.....

and also, are they that great, so that they will deserve the money? 1000 euros (1300$)  after all are not that low!

I don't put it in the great category, I put in special.

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #25 of 35
Sounds like me...but I'm much worse.

Bought the HD-650 twice in five years. One was the new white screened version. Hated the old one.
Bought the AKG K240 Studio twice. My first was plasticky sounding and had bloated bass. Probably a defect. Mine now is a keeper and I love it.
D2000 twice. First part was portable amped and hated it. Second time I had a desktop amp and loved it!
K701 and K702. Owned THREE times! Always loved the K701, but not so much the K702. How is that possible?!
DDT-880 32 ohm. Owned twice! My first pair had very harsh treble and too much sibilance. Maybe portables amps did it?
Owned the DT-990 twice. First pair I loved, but wasn't as educated when it came to sound. Absolutely hated it years later. Mine had cave-like mids.
SRH-840. Owned twice. This is the headphone I missed most after I sold it.

I think it's safe to say that the sound quality of different pairs of the same headphone can vary more than we think!

The headphone I really want to buy again right now the most is the K602. That thing was so comfortable. It just didn't have the clarity and detail of the K702, but still good.

Of course I miss my ATH-AD2000 a bit too.
happy_face1.gif
  It's not a good match for my head.
Oh and can't forget I've had the AD700 twice also. First time I loved it, but it wasn't good for me as my ONLY headphone. Luckily I got my 2nd pair to fit better.

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #26 of 35
I don't think I'll sell another pair of headphones since they all has their special spot in my heart. Oh no!, I've become a hoarder.

I had the AKG K702, but returned it shortly after due to lack of excitement in the sound signature. Now that I have been enjoying my K271 MKiii, I am itching to try the K701.

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #27 of 35
My experience has been different, Brent.

I bought the HD-800 in June 2009. I've been listening ever since. The "new toy" phase wears off around three months. At almost two years, I'd say that I'm happy with them. Same with the K-1000, but I've had those for almost five years.

I listen to speakers more often these days, but don't plan to change unless a serious new flagship emerges. AKG teases us with one, but I don't think we'll get another for a few years yet.

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #28 of 35
[size=small]I tend to think that you guys are crazy, but then I look at my wrist watch collection and my camera gear and I realize that this is a relatively cheap (and perhaps saner) vice. It is indeed amazing how the novelty wears off so quickly.  As I’ve been told, one can’t find fulfilment in shiny new objects… but it’s kinda of fun trying. 
wink_face.gif
[/size]

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #29 of 35
I would love a pair of AKG K1000.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #30 of 35
I think all of this re-buying could be avoided if the conditions were right. I have heard every elite level system/headphone you can name (orpheus, oII, sr-omega, r10 , e10, e7, l3k, hp2, ps-1 ...etc) outside of the new C32 and I really think people would be absolutely shocked what the hd800 sounds like on something like the apex pinnacle. The sound stage is incredible, and the level of detail unmatched. The only "problem" with the hd800 is it shows the flaws in a system and very few people have a flawless setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back