I have the upgrade itch, and a bit of money.
Aug 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6
So about 2 years ago when I got into hi-fi/audiophilia. I purchased a denon ahd-2000 and a nuforce icon mobile, and have been very content with them so far. But i've figured that it's coming time to take the next step up. There are a few phones i've been interested in, here are the ones i've  been considering:

- I've been very interested in the HD600, i was thinking of grabbing it and a vivid v1 amp to power it. It seems you can't really go wrong with the hd600, any thoughts on how it differs from the d2000 that I currently have?

- Also the dt990 250 ohm and 600 ohm both have raving reviews, and seem to have a more lively sound signature from what i've read. I don't know if a vivid v1 would power such a headphone though, and I know my nuforce icon mobil isn't powerful enough. My budget for both headphone and amp is around the $400 range, preferably less.

Any opinions on these phones or others and amps that run around 100-150, would be appreciated.

Just looking for opinions on those who have owned a denon d2000. Thanks as always, you guys are awesome, please guide my wallet to bigger and better things =]

P.S I'm no basshead or anything, I like my bass present but not overpowering. The d2000 after amping and burning have really tightened up. I also have heard the akg k 242, but I didn't like them very much, at least from my nuforce icon mobile, they seemed to suck all the life out of all the music, I feel like when impact was required or a hold in bass, the akg's couldn't deliver, also all the ranged just seemed to fade into 1 blob, and even when the artist intended for a part to come out, the akg seemed to keep them blobbed together.

(sorry i'm not so good with the audiophile lingo, hope you understand)

-Ambient Revolution

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 6
Recently I have thought of another choice, I could upgrade my denon's to LA2000's mark seems to do wonderful work. Any thoughts?

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 6
What is your source?

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 6
I just asked about the source in case it was more in need of an upgrade which it is not. The Nuforce should be able to drive the DT900 fine (2nd EDIT - looked at the wrong specs, actually, no it probably will not). I would upgrade either with your budget and not both. Since you don't like the AKG sound, I can't help much there, which is a shame as they do detail in spades and suit those who are not bass heads.

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 6
I find that the akg k 242 had about the same detail as my d2000's, but had very little seperation, everything just kind of blended together. The detail satisfied the perfectionist in me, but I just couldn't get into the music or tap my feet to it, and that's a problem, because ultimately this is about enjoyment.

I love my d2000's, and i'm inclined to upgrade to LA2000's because from what's reported it really cleans up the bleeding of the bass into higher frequencies, while not reducing it. I would go so far as to say my experience with the akg's were that it didn't have enough bass. I'm no basshead, but when I listen to a trip hop song that is meant to have a bassline, it just doesn't stand out enough on the akg's.

Any other suggestions are appreciated

-Ambient Revolution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back