I have my new $31 CD780s - compare notes in this thread if you like
Oct 16, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #16 of 231
The CD480 also has a really bad midbass hump, maybe they are better now (I listened to them when my friend opened the package), but I doubt it, they didn't seem to be the best, luckily they were only 40 euros or so, in which they are good 'phones, definetely not at 580 level though, maybe why it's not a US model.

Oct 16, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 231
I just got em today, as far as comfort goes.. these are the most comfortable headphones i have EVER used, i think i might just go to sleep with these.

sound wise, they sound good ( i really can't say much since im running em just off my maudio rev without a amp ) but the soundstage is ALOT better then my koss a-250s, and there's more "clarity" in my bass.

and im very pleased with the looks of these headphones, they look like two giant fluffy pillows you just wanna put ur head in
biggrin.gif

edit: at $31 these are a TRUE steal, they look brand spankin new also... no scratches, no smell, no damage as far as i can see.

Oct 16, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 231
after not using them for maybe 2 months or something, and lately me getting used to the sound of the hd600's. I decided to have a little test just then.

somehow the brightness went down from when I last remember using it (maybe it was the change of amps?), the sound wasn't too bad but it definately didn't have the detail the hd600's give.

the overall sound was kinda blured together, with the mids being slightly recessed. I also noted that these things were also a bit harder to drive from my amp and I needed to turn the bass up to full to get a more equivalent bass compared the my 600's.

These cans are ok, for the price u guys got em for they are definately worth every cent, but I still maintain they are a major rip off at retail
rolleyes.gif

Oh and they are uber comfylike I was wearing pillows on my head
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #19 of 231
Not sure if you're gauging the Sony's worth by your Senn's, but keep in mind at least in the U.S., the CD780's normal retail (street) of $100-$125 puts the HD600's normal retail at about 2.5-3 times more expensive. If you use MSRP it's still 2.25 times. If price is taken into account that's a pretty major difference (like comparing the Senn 497's to the Senn 580's).

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #20 of 231
Anyone who says they prefer the Senn HD600s to X, Y or Z has a leg to stand on, whether it's Stax or Sony R10s or, well, my $31 CD780s.
biggrin.gif

I happen to far prefer the Sony CD780s to my Senn HD580s, but the Senn HD580s were my first awesome phones, so I appreciate where you're coming from.
cool.gif

Please understand that I do not have a leg to stand on, I merely assert by my own personal taste, albeit very sincerely, that I prefer the CD780s to the Senn HD580s.
blink.gif

I happen to think you have two of the most devastatingly awesome headphones on the market, so enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

We here on Team CD780 welcome dissension!!! It only feeds the hysteria!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Nights_85
somehow the brightness went down from when I last remember using it (maybe it was the change of amps?), the sound wasn't too bad...

[Steve999 unfairly deleted your criticisms that were here in this quotation in order to better serve the CD780 hysteria.]

Oh and they are uber comfylike I was wearing pillows on my head
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:12 AM Post #21 of 231
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
Anyone who says they prefer the Senn HD600s to X, Y or Z has a leg to stand on, whether it's Stax or Sony R10s or, well, my $31 CD780s.
biggrin.gif

I happen to far prefer the Sony CD780s to my Senn HD580s, but the Senn HD580s were my first awesome phones, so I appreciate where you're coming from.
cool.gif

Please understand that I do not have a leg to stand on, I merely assert by my own personal taste, albeit very sincerely, that I far prefer the CD780s to the Senn HD580s.
blink.gif

Nobody has a leg to stand on, unless one considers selling price to be a leg (B.S. in my opinion).

Those who don't much like the sound of electrostatic cans would probably consider the SR-007 or Senn HE-90s to be a big ripoff. Those who prefer the "smiley EQ" emphasized bass and treble would probably turn gray after listening to a pair of Grado HP-1000s.

This stuff is all subjective, and no amount of rationalizing changes that. That said, I'll be happy to take the HD580s off your hands for $31.99, if you're selling... you could get a second pair of CD780s!
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #23 of 231
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
LOL, good one. I love my HD580s, they were my first great headphones. They'll be with me 'till they lay me in my grave. They're also a wonderful benchmark when I try out new phones. Many a phone has gone back because it didn't pass the HD580 test -- they make most phones sound like junk.

There's an interesting difference between you and me. The 580s were my first great headphones too, but I got a powerful, overwhelming feeling they would be my last too -- they fit my sonic tastes that well. I fell in love with the sound of these cans, up to and including all their faults (which actually increased their charms, just like a real love affair does). Because of this, I bought some HD600s... and I'm happy! OK, I've complained about drums sometimes sounding unrealistic, but it's a minor gripe and may have something to do with my sources.

I didn't even consider the CD780s when they came up for $31.99, because I wouldn't cheat on my true love with a hooker, no matter how cheap she came!
580smile.gif
600smile.gif

Edit -- not that I'm uninterested in going to meets and hearing stuff like $15,000 Stax and such... but guess what I come home to at night...
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #24 of 231
Fewtch, you already slept with her younger sister.

Seriously, price (as portability, isolation, etc.) should be a part of these discussions right? I mean not many are using the R10 or HP1000's as the standard/base zero are they?

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #25 of 231
I've never heard the HD600s, but I think the CD780s would complement the HD580s in a system. Wherever the one headphone falls short, the other picks up and does very well, and you could've gotten this for under $200, it's amazing, you wouldn't need HD600s, but I can't really back that up, since I've never heard them.

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #26 of 231
Absolutely, they are ying and yang, my HD580s and CD780s are a devastating duo, and cost me $150 total, thanks to head-fi. This place is so great.
biggrin.gif

And where else but head-fi could I share the joy and excitement of an awesome pair of headphones?
600smile.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
I've never heard the HD600s, but I think the CD780s would complement the HD580s in a system. Wherever the one headphone falls short, the other picks up and does very well, and you could've gotten this for under $200, it's amazing...

Oct 17, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #28 of 231
Quote:

Originally posted by mxs1030
the best thing is that they come covered with nearly 4 feet of bubble wrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not the small wimpy kind too, those giant bubbles.

Are they Sony Bio-cellulose bubbles? Was the packing box made of the heartwood of mature Zelkova trees? "Aura-nomic design" for the address label? Self-cleaning users manual?
icon10.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #29 of 231
Quote:

Originally posted by mxs1030 the best thing is that they come covered with nearly 4 feet of bubble wrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not the small wimpy kind too, those giant bubbles.

Between that and the extra cord the phones are like free.
wink.gif
For other bubble uses scroll here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back