I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #376 of 3,761
So soozieq, I am hurtling through the countryside on a train, eagerly awaiting your out of the box impressions... how long will i have to be kept in suspense? lol
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #377 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So soozieq, I am hurtling through the countryside on a train, eagerly awaiting your out of the box impressions... how long will i have to be kept in suspense? lol
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL! I have to go eat something solid. Ice cream is nice, but it's not filling the gap
ksc75smile.gif

Anyway, I plan to sit down in an hour or so and give them my very first listen, so around 8.30 I should have had half an hour with them at least. I'm looking forward to hearing them after your praise about how they sound with the X. They just better not leave any splinters in my ears
devil_face.gif

May 19, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #378 of 3,761
lol soozieq.

In that case, i'll check in after Holby City
wink.gif

I hope you enjoy the experience
smily_headphones1.gif

(Typed on my Sony Ericsson X1 whilst listening to FX1000s on X1000... i detect a pattern here!)

May 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #380 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by heliuscc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, First post woohoo. Looking to buy the X in the next day or so, trying to decide which will get it to me quicker, Play or Amazon.
Anyone tried this with it yet:
Sony VRC-NW10 Video Recording Cradle: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

To charge it and record from a Bravia TV. I'm wondering if I could hook this up to my AV amp and use it for recording from the Bravia, and also for playing music through the AV system? Any ideas???

Also the reviews are beginning to sound like the X is better than the 739. My wife has offered to pay half towards the X, so would you say it's worth £115 of my hard earned cash??
Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

Hi welcome!
ksc75smile.gif
well play shows it shipping the 22nd (friday) and amazon shows it shipping the 31st, but sooz says her pre-orders say processing. So my guess on amazon would be shipping same day as play?

And since they're both the same price?? I'm not familiar with play, but amazon is very good. As for the second question I don't have a clue
jecklinsmile.gif

May 19, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #382 of 3,761
mosso2000...

Without trying to steer this thread too far off course, what is wrong with the plug on the IE8s?

May 19, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #383 of 3,761
from what i've read the flaw that it doesn't support lossless may be fatal for hard core head-fi'ers but i know ones who don't give a crap on lossless music and can't even hear the difference between lossy and lossless
confused.gif

although sony is on the right track ... imo x1000 can't compete with s9, although it may be better in some parts ...
anyway the rumours of a 3g oled ipod touch with 64Gb are getting closer ... and nothing can beat lossless coming from a LOD to an ibasso d10
k701smile.gif
darthsmile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

... did any of you tried it with high impedance cans ? how does it act? does it have enough juice?
p.s. the chrome version is purely ravaging
evil_smiley.gif

May 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #384 of 3,761
Quote:

and nothing can beat lossless coming from a LOD to an ibasso d10

Yeah but who wants to be carrying around an amp
confused_face.gif

The S9 is good, but i gave up on Cowon ages ago...Poor build quality is something i just cannot live with

May 19, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #385 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrinceOfEgypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah but who wants to be carrying around an amp
confused_face.gif

The S9 is good, but i gave up on Cowon ages ago...Poor build quality is something i just cannot live with

I wouldn't be taking my new DAP seriously if I didn't do all the research into the competition. It'll be replacing my Ipod video as that's always plugged into the alpine IDX100 car stereo.

So I've just been checking up on the S9 and the P3. The S9 looks good in the 32GB version, a little more expensive, but is obviously extremely well supported on the firmware update side of things and also on the codecs. Processor seems powerful and so it's down to the build quality and the UI.

Size and weight has put me off the ipod touch so I assume that and poor build quality will also cancel the S9 off my list.

Don't know much about the P3.

Out of the X1060, S9 32GB and P3 32GB which is the best, I assume there are people here who have all 3?

smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #386 of 3,761
duncan... english is not my native language, so how to describe it... there are some intereferences coming from the jack as soon as it moves for one hear, you know like an old cord which starts to have a bad contact... it makes "scrrcchhh scrchhhh" if you see what i mean. Ad defect of soldering I guess.

Without continuing too far, they are very uncomfortable for me but i could ultimately find some plugs which are not too nad. but now its been 1/2hr i removed them and my head is a bit still"pressurised". and i have to move them upright so they fit properly, am i doing something wrong?

-sorry for hs guys-

May 19, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #387 of 3,761
For me the build quality and the sound on the Sony will win everytime...

Not a fan of Samsung...Looked into the P3 and again the poor build quality was a turn off

May 19, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #388 of 3,761
Hey Duncan, what tips did you settle for in the end? I've been rooting through my 'tip' storage for alternatives, and I've settled for the UE single flange ones for the moment. So after all the tip fiddling, I've only had about 20 mins proper listening time so far
redface.gif

Anyway, initial impressions are very good, they're very clear and focused but without being cold. They're not nearly as thick as the IE8 which is good, because despite the fact I loved the IE8, I did yearn for a little less thickness sometimes. The bass is the real surprise though, it kinds of comes out of nowhere and whacks you round the head with a baseball bat. I like that! Oh, and vocals sound especially clean after the IE8.

Okay, need to do more listening now
smily_headphones1.gif

erorax-

Before the X was released, I'd been reading up on the S9 quite a bit, and a couple of things put me off; this from ABI:

"Testing it with some lossless FLAC files against a few other players I did find that it started to fall apart at higher volumes"...

They also said the Clip handled louder volumes better - and then this from cnet, who said it sounded gorgeous, and then in the next breath said:

In an A/B listening test, using our ultra-high-end £2,000 test rig, the S9 proved to offer a gorgeous sound quality, although it's almost identical to that of the 160GB iPod classic.

I've never heard a Sony dap described as sounding like an iPod Classic and I hope I never do, because it's a sound I don't like. I tried one for a couple of days and returned it as fast as I could (although I like my Touch 2G, just not the Classic!)

So the Cowon will obviously have its own fans and the Sony will have its own fans too. Personally, I can live without compressed lossless formats because high-bitrate lossy files sound great with the Sony, and I can use WAV/PCM for albums that need to stay gapless. Sure, there are niggles, no on-the-fly playlists and stuff, but at the end of the day I use it to listen to music, and so long as the music sounds the best it can sound, that's all that matters. If all those other features were more important than the sound, I'd have given up on Sony after my A808
smile_phones.gif

Right now I can't imagine any sonic improvement I'd make to the X at all.

mosso2000
- can you plug the IE8 into something else to test them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back