I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Jun 1, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #781 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW!!! Massive pics P of E. Can you not shrink them a bit? I want your leather case but it's out of the question at the moment, the Easyi one is in the post....

Hey Neeley, did you get the one from Amazon that doesn't have a photo of the top of the case?? I bought one as a temporary measure, but it's going back. The X isn't usable in the case, you can't access the top buttons and if it's in youir pocket, you have to take it out, unplug the earphones, flip the cover, and use the touch screen, it's really crap!

spuddler-
No need for you to be so rude and to criticise cn11 for pointing out the facts. It's clear you're not interested in the Sony as much as you are about arguing and insulting people about UK consumer laws that you seem to know nothing about. Like Mark asked, are you even in the UK??? Please stop it.

Mark has also confirmed those laws do exist, so if you have anything more to say about them, go and start a new thread because the only thing you're adding here is bad feeling.

POE: I'm using the IE8 foam tips, but I like the UE single flange ones too. Oh, and maybe use a photo editor or something to shrink your pics, it's almost impossible to read the posts on that page. If you don't have one, check the program that you used to upload them, there's normally a resizing option in there
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #783 of 3,761
My friend sent them over from Japan...

Will resize the pics, apologies to everyone...

thanks Duncan, i have them playing some fm static right now...is that ok?

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #786 of 3,761
PoE...

Try them with music
smily_headphones1.gif
(although white noise is fine also)...

They may sound a little bright running through an iPod, if you're not used to them - but, will sound totally different animals once burnt in a bit, and plugged into the X
smily_headphones1.gif

(I do feel that the bass in mine has dropped off quite significantly of late... making them even more musical!)

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #787 of 3,761
Hi Duncan,

I have them plugged into a Cowon F1? They do sound bright on the Cowon also.

How long would you recommed i burn them in for?

Can't wait for the 'X'...If the size of the case is anything to go by, this thing will be tiny!

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #788 of 3,761
has anyone tried to record from a bravia tv yet?

my x1060 should arrive tomorrow morning.. can't wait

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #789 of 3,761
All excellent points. But it begs the question: Why even release a clearly inferior Wifi/browsing experience if your goal is to get people talking - positively? Sounds like a loser to me, if SQ really doesn't matter. That being the case, the X1000 is going to die on the vine when reviewers blast its pathetic browsing experience.

I am glad everyone is enjoying the SQ of the X1000. But as I said, and as Antony agreed, if Sony releases a simple DAP with the same SQ but sans the horrid Wifi/browsing (or greatly improves it somehow), I will be all over it. But to pay Touch prices with half the functionality - even if that half is clearly superior - just doesn't add up for me.

Maybe others have the scratch to go there, I don't.

And my main point initially was: why is it necessary to bash the Touch because the Sony has preferable SQ? Because the Sony sounds better hardly means the Touch is crap, which was how it was characterized ... and what started this entire thing. For the one billionth time, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't preclude a counter-view. If so, only one side gets to air their POV. Neeley stated that the Touch was pretty much crap on the SQ front, I disagree. Isn't that what these forums are supposed to be about, in part?

And, if you use a high quality amp and LOD cable, my guess is the Touch can compete with the Sony (too bad Sony doesn't offer that option), if not even outperform it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortanately that is where the market is heading. If Sony didn't have OLED or WiFi in this, would newspapers like The Guardian, The Times etc. made a passing note about it? Hardly.

The X-series isn't a service to the audiophile community - it is to get people talking about the Walkman brand again and try to gain back some of the marketshare Sony has lost to other brands due to years of mismanagement. Already most mainstream reviews I have read only touched on the subject of its other features and hardly (if any) about the sound quality. People do not give a hoot about SQ any longer. Instead they want OLED, WiFi, YouTube and stuff, and if Sony doesn't give them that people will chastised them for it. Humans will always find something to complain about.

The SQ on this is great and the discounted price in Amazon only makes the whole deal sweeter (for everyone else, I paid the full price at John Lewis, the sucker I am...).

As for OLED, this display technology is the future and may eventually replace LCD tellies in our living rooms. Having more devices with OLED will drive the cost down due to mass production, in addition to increasing awareness of the technology. Besides OLED brings some benefits including less power consumption and thinner profile (no backlit component).

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #790 of 3,761
I tell you what tstarn06...

At some point, I will rig up my iPhone 3G to a LOD, and connect it to an amp, and give it a good run... - I believe that the X1000 is in a higher league than the vanilla Apple products, but am not against trying out the two box alternative...

I do agree entirely though, if Sony had the internals of the X series (without wi-fi etc), with something like the profile of the S705 walkman, that would be a much more compelling buy (in terms of value)

...Then again, for a compact, minimalist rig.. NOTHING beats the Sony to my ears atm - Although, sucker than I am, I'm already lining up the next iPhone, and also the Zune HD...

...Pah, Head-Fi really does have some weirdly addictive ability to drain your wallet!

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #791 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Neeley, did you get the one from Amazon that doesn't have a photo of the top of the case?? I bought one as a temporary measure, but it's going back. The X isn't usable in the case, you can't access the top buttons and if it's in youir pocket, you have to take it out, unplug the earphones, flip the cover, and use the touch screen, it's really crap!

Sooz.

It's this one EASYi - Leather Wallet Case for Sony Walkman X Series: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Are you talking about the flip top case?

Oh here's one I made earlier, the Sony font is called 'Clarendon Bold'.

sony01_logo.jpg

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #792 of 3,761
Oh dear, I had no idea my Amazon returns question would turn into such a heated debate...

@ Spuddler, my only recommendation to you is whether or not you choose to accept the DSR, it is still something to bear in mind when one finds themselves in the unfortunate situation of wanting to return something having just purchased from the internet.

Yes, there are exceptions to the DSR, such as audio CD's and video games (if the seal/shrink wrap is removed) as well as software. I wanted to make a returns of an electronic device to Amazon and having taken Soozie's advice, as well doing my own little research, I was eligible to return the product, not only under the DSR, but also under Amazons 30 Day Policy.

Soozie was helping my situation by informing me about the DSR, that is all. Fortunately for me, I was also covered by Amazons great T&Cs too (which Soozie also kindley pointed out). If I had made the purchase from anywhere else, I truly would have been lost, and most likely, sold my device at a loss on eBay. Before I forget, I should also mention Amazon paid for the shipping too.

@ Soozie

Bless your kind heart.

<3

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #794 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodflowerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh dear, I had no idea my Amazon returns question would turn into such a heated debate...

@ Spuddler, my only recommendation to you is whether or not you choose to accept the DSR, it is still something to bear in mind when one finds themselves in the unfortunate situation of wanting to return something having just purchased from the internet.

Yes, there are exceptions to the DSR, such as audio CD's and video games (if the seal/shrink wrap is removed) as well as software. I wanted to make a returns of an electronic device to Amazon and having taken Soozie's advice, as well doing my own little research, I was eligible to return the product, not only under the DSR, but also under Amazons 30 Day Policy.

Soozie was helping my situation by informing me about the DSR, that is all. Fortunately for me, I was also covered by Amazons great T&Cs too (which Soozie also kindley pointed out). If I had made the purchase from anywhere else, I truly would have been lost, and most likely, sold my device at a loss on eBay. Before I forget, I should also mention Amazon paid for the shipping too.

@ Soozie

Bless your kind heart.

<3

Are you the first person not to like the device?
redface.gif
What is it that you dont like about it? Audio quality?

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #795 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sooz.

It's this one EASYi - Leather Wallet Case for Sony Walkman X Series: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Are you talking about the flip top case?

Yeah, the flip top case. It can flip off, it's rubbbish, and the HOLD button was inaccessible too. The one you've ordered doesn't show a picture from the top of it. Let me know if the controls are covered up, thanks
smile_phones.gif

Photoman-
I stopped transferring at 15GB because a load of albums got duplicated...
rolleyes.gif
- so I've trying to muster up some enthusiasm to sort those out first before transferring any more. But so far I've filled 14GB with 1750 tracks and they're a mix of WMA vbr highest setting, AAC highest setting and LAME v0.

Bloodflowerz-
Glad you got it all sorted. There are other things not covered by DSRs too, persihable goods, jewellery, services, etc - but I knew your X was covered. And yes, it's up to people to read and interpret the rules themselves, especially about how restocking fees are illegal during that time frame...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back