I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 3,761
Okay, I know everyone's excited to know what it sounds like, hell, I am too!!! So I'll give some really really initial impressions, but I've only listened to 2 tracks on each of the X1000, Touch 2G and A808, so bear that in mind.

All I know for sure is that it does NOT have a digital sound at all, not to me. It's warm and detailed, it's warmer than the Touch and the A808. It's also powerful, at first I thought some sneaky EQ setting had been applied, or that the Dynamic Normalizer was on, but it wasn't. Anyway, that's all I know for sure at the moment.

Oh, and I listened to all 3 daps with no EQ.

May 14, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #17 of 3,761
Wooohooo!!! Thanks for the quick initial impressions, Sooz. We'll be eyes open as you fill us more. Btw, also include comparisons on the Sony's synergy with your beloved iems compared to the touch/A829. Enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #19 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I know everyone's excited to know what it sounds like, hell, I am too!!! So I'll give some really really initial impressions, but I've only listened to 2 tracks on each of the X1000, Touch 2G and A808, so bear that in mind.

All I know for sure is that it does NOT have a digital sound at all, not to me. It's warm and detailed, it's warmer than the Touch and the A808. It's also powerful, at first I thought some sneaky EQ setting had been applied, or that the Dynamic Normalizer was on, but it wasn't. Anyway, that's all I know for sure at the moment.

Sounds like it'll be a great match with my new Ultrasones!! Yeaaayy, totally portable again!

More pics, more impressions... just, *MORE*!!!
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #22 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Warm detailed and powerful, I like that!
biggrin.gif
Sounds like it will match up good with PFE
wink.gif

May 14, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #23 of 3,761
Ok, I am listening to some favourite tracks by Joe Satriani, Mono, World's End Girlfriend, Camera Obscura etc. There is a very small hint of hiss, but nothing as bad as the A818. The sound is definitely warm. I can also confirm Soozieq's observation that it is powerful. With my S739, I tend to listen on a 14/30 volume level. Here I can comfortably listen at 11/30. 14/30 on the X1060 is too loud for me.

I am doing all my listening with all enchancements turned off (including Clear Stereo which was enabled by default) via my IE 8.

Usability wise, the UI refresh a bit slower than the S739. For example is draws the album art a fraction of a second after the screen switches. So far I like it. The OLED screen is just beautiful.

May 14, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #24 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I am listening to some favourite tracks by Joe Satriani, Mono, World's End Girlfriend, Camera Obscura etc. There is a very small hint of hiss, but nothing as bad as the A818. The sound is definitely warm. I can also confirm Soozieq's observation that it is powerful. With my S739, I tend to listen on a 14/30 volume level. Here I can comfortably listen at 11/30. 14/30 on the X1060 is too loud for me.

I am doing all my listening with all enchancements turned off (including Clear Stereo which was enabled by default) via my IE 8.

Usability wise, the UI refresh a bit slower than the S739. For example is draws the album art a fraction of a second after the screen switches. So far I like it. The OLED screen is just beautiful.

Wow, thanks to you both! I didn't expect warm, with the digital amp, thats good news. How is the instrument separation?? Hows the build quality? Sorry for the barrage of questions , I'm excited
ksc75smile.gif
Both of you enjoy!

May 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #25 of 3,761
I just did some comparison testing between the S739 and X1060. The bass is similar in quantity, but the X1060 is clearer. Everything is clearer with the X1060. I am very impressed.

Also, the WiFi is compatible with WPA2 (yay!). Text entry is via a mobile phone like numberpad.

May 14, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #26 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, thanks to you both! I didn't expect warm, with the digital amp, thats good news. How is instrument separation?? Hows the build quality? Sorry , I'm excited
ksc75smile.gif

Build quality is excellent. It isn't light (about the same weight as my Nokia E51), but it feels very very solid. The granite effect isn't just a paint job. It is texturised (at least the side), which allows for a better grip. Overall it makes my E51 and S739 feels like cheap toys in comparison!

I will get back on the SQ once I do some more listening.

May 14, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #27 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did some comparison testing between the S739 and X1060. The bass is similar in quantity, but the X1060 is clearer. Everything is clearer with the X1060. I am very impressed.

Also, the WiFi is compatible with WPA2 (yay!). Text entry is via a mobile phone like numberpad.

That is pretty amazing, because I consider the s639/739 very crystal clear.

May 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #29 of 3,761
Hey Folks, My first post here so pleeeaasseee be kind to me. I’ve always been a “Peeping Tom” on this Forum and finally decided to join. So I must say this “Welcome to Head fi, Sorry about your wallet” may not be as appropriate as significant damage has already been done long before I even dreamt of becoming an actual member.

First off though, something I should have done a long time ago is to Thank Soozieq along with the other folks who contributed to the Denon C700 impressions thread. The Denon’s were my first intro to how great music can really sound and certainly were an “ear opener”. Without reading that thread I may have well still been boasting to my friends about how nice my ibuds sound through my ipod touch 1G haha . So ignorant was I when I started reading the forums that when people said that X headphone has great lows and great highs that I actually thought it was how the headphones sounded when the volume was low and correspondingly highs were how the headphone sounded at “earth shatteringly” high volumes (I know, I know, I was really dumb but Imagine what I thought when I saw that a headphone could be described as being warm or cold ha-ha!!!).

OK I was gonna write a long story as am a pretty good story teller but enough with the digressions.

After many meticulous auditions of the (IE8, Westone 3 and UM3X). I decided to get the IE8. Among other things besides having the preferred sound presentation for my musical tastes. I chose the IE8 because I was also planning on getting the Sony Walkman X1060 and heard early reports of hissing. The IE8 sensitivity is listed as 125 dB (1 kHz, 1 Vrms). My calculations tell me that the corresponding sensitivity in db/mW is 107db/mW. (Cool Torpedo a very informative guy indicated 101db/mW; I wish he can clarify as I could be wrong. However, the denon c700 having the same impedance of 16ohms are 104db/mW and they are certainly less sensitive than the IE8.) I guess what I’m trying to say haha is that I’d like you to comment on hiss when using the IE8’s. Are you able to hear hiss during passages that are supposed to be silent?

Also you’ve indicated that it’s quite powerful. Is this efficiency more notable while using the IE8? as I can’t help but think this may be to better impedance matching with lower ohm phones. Alright guys am still a lowly and ignorant student so if my conjectures are way off then just enlighten me as to what the case may be.
Thanks in advance

Regards,
HONEYBOY

P.S I sure hope this post was relevant in this section as I don’t wanna
be treated like ……. = current * resistance (V=IR) around here lol

May 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #30 of 3,761
The X1000 goes all the way up to 'ELEVEN'
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back