I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Jul 9, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #1,682 of 3,761
IMTOO iPod Movie Converter works AMAZING. If you guys can get a copy of it it's a great piece of software.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #1,683 of 3,761
I think I already posted this somewhere, this is the ffmpeg's command line options, on my GNU/Linux OS.

Code:

Code:
[left]$ ffmpeg -i IN.avi -vcodec libx264 -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -threads 0 -s 432x240 -f mp4 OUT.mp4[/left]

Simple
smily_headphones1.gif
isn't it.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #1,684 of 3,761
I recall that. I did like the simplicity of SUPER (which uses ffmpeg). However IMTOO is really easy and fast. If you get a chance i say give it a shot. You'll love it.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #1,685 of 3,761
Jul 9, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #1,686 of 3,761
I converted 8 full size dvd rips of mine in 6 hours :] i love this software. I'll report on quality later. By the way, how does slacker cache so many songs? I haven't connected it to internet in so long. oh and i found a way to skip without using your "free skips" just exit slacker and reboot it. hahaha

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #1,689 of 3,761
Okay I'm a bit disappointed. IMTOO works fine with anything under 1 hour but after that the audio becomes out of sync. Anyone have suggestions?

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #1,691 of 3,761
Hi,tried a few of the commercial vid encoders,all OK.But was curious about getting 432 x 240.
ffmpeg's & the other one 'Super' looked good till you posted Linux etc
jecklinsmile.gif
,even thou its prob,not a prob.It's getting time to try things,thats why i think its good others try,other things.
Messing about with bitrates,resolution etc is good,but might not suit everyone.DVDCat3 could be good for ease of use,if they get a 'X' 432 x240 profile.
Just did a 2.35:1 widescreen movie with Ripbot264,bit of trouble with black bars,solved it,but could be slightly cropped.Looks good thou
jecklinsmile.gif
.These progs do take a bit of time to get to really know well.
See how a 1.85:1 comes out.
Aspect ratio of the movie,screen res of the 'X',would have thought must be some compromise somewhere.Either black bars,overscan,scaling or whatever.Be hard to get it perfect.
Anamorphic etc etc etc,bit rusty on Movie/vid etc.Start on the learning curve again.
That guy on Ripbot264 quote:-

'Hey man, i got a update from the X series , it can do 480x272@1.5mbps, not only video look sharper but damm i just tweak the ffshow where it say RGB conversion & put Full rang & not only that but damm black is really black now'

I assume H264 profile 1.3,thatat least looks above spec the 'X' is supposed to do.
So looks like plenty of room for experimenting,if you have the time & inclination
smile_phones.gif

Cheers BOB

ps just noticed a post on ABI & looks like guy at DVDCat3 is making a profile for 'X' 432 x 240
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #1,692 of 3,761
Using the Sony X in the car.

First of all, thank god the X has two custom eq settings as it needs to be set up differently from earphones to the car system.

Also the dock is an absolute must for superior SQ. Powering the dock is unnecessary but if you want to charge the X then you'll need a 5V charger with a mini usb connector. The X's volume control is bypassed and I presume the line out is set to maximum volume. Powering the dock doesn't boost the volume in any way, it's purely for a line in (for those walkmans that can record) and charging.

My Headunit's eq, levels, phase, time alignment and crossover settings for playing CD's luckily worked well with the X, initially I was quite worried as it sounded very digital and compressed. Kind of like having a too bigger crossover gap between mid and tweeter drivers.

The final settings I used on the X was a 1db boost at 0.4khz, 2.5khz, 6.3khz and 16khz. Clear bass set to 2, all other processing turned off.

This gave a natural sound slightly on the warm side of neutral with a sparkling, well extended top end. I can't make up my mind whether I prefer the X's sound character or the headunit's cd. I'm used to an ultra dynamic, grab you by the throat and kick you in the ribs sound which puts a slightly scared mentalists smile on my face.
bigsmile_face.gif
The X by comparison sounds very hi-fi like. It's certainly entertaining but I feel like there's just something missing, it just needs a bit more get up and go. Perhaps it's a sound I'll have to get used to as I plan to ditch all the cd's in the car for the X.

Refinement and detail are all there, it's very easy on the ears and has a 3D presentation when called for, extending well beyond the size of the interior. MJ's (bless him) 'Billy Jean' is suppose to have a snare drum with a long decay on the left channel, the X pics this out well, making the stage eminate at least 6ft outside the window.

Again, 'Man in the mirror' has a delayed high hat at the beginning which should cross channels and back again, some systems completely miss this but the X easily picks this out with a clear space around it. Lovely....

Whether the X still has some running in to do, I don't know. But may be some more system tuning will bring out that extra something the X is lacking in the car. To describe it as slightly veiled would be my impression.

So to sum up, the X is not quite as good as I had hoped it would be but better than I expected. I can live with that.
smile.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #1,693 of 3,761
ok thanks photoman for your impressions.so you think that the zune120 SQ is inferior in comparison with the X?oh and can you comment on the soundstage of the X in comparison, because the one think that i dont like about the zune is that its soundstage is narrow, you feel that the music is in the room with you(intimate) which i dont like,i like it to be spacious and wide. also can you comment on the bass on the X in comparison on the zune?the zune bass is definetly strong and punchy but i am not sure if i will tolerate more heavy bass!
Its funny how each player and each earphone and headphone produce music that is so different from one to another!why just they dont make a player and head or earphone that produces music the way it was played in the studio! Well,while they do that we headfiers will search for audio nirvana with the available materials
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #1,694 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverknit3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay I'm a bit disappointed. IMTOO works fine with anything under 1 hour but after that the audio becomes out of sync. Anyone have suggestions?

The ffmpeg encoded files are working flawlessly with X. I encoded several movies/videos with several resolution/aspect ratios, from 320x240 flvs to 1920x1080p mkvs, and everything were fine with X. If MPlayer can plays the original movie files, than the X also can play the ffmpeg encoded file too.

IIMO, your problem is related to FPS (frame per second). Sometimes you have to specify manually the input and output file's FPS.

Good Luck.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #1,695 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ffmpeg encoded files are working flawlessly with X. I encoded several movies/videos with several resolution/aspect ratios, from 320x240 flvs to 1920x1080p mkvs, and everything were fine with X. If MPlayer can plays the original movie files, than the X also can play the ffmpeg encoded file too.

IIMO, your problem is related to FPS (frame per second). Sometimes you have to specify manually the input and output file's FPS.

Good Luck.

This post intrigues e. How is the problem a FPS problem and how can I fix it? Does the X have a golden FPS? or is it the encoders fault for not keeping up the FPS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back