I have been accused of scamming!
Feb 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Soldierducky

Head-Fier
First, I am NOT a scammer, if I am one, I wouldn't be posting here.
So this happened:
I just bought a new pair of headphones Shure 940. And then didnt like the sound, and then sold it. When I sold it to this guy, I call him the accuser, pm'd me saying that he wanted the deal. I told him my headphones was very new, nothing was thrown away and in perfect condition. He ask me to send photos and I did.
After the payment and sending and all that stuff. He suddenly replied me with a most shocking statement
He said that there was minor cracks on the left head ban and it was creaking a little. I ask him to try to use the international warranty. I didn't notice the ctacks and stuff

Now here is the part that pisses me off the most. He actually had the nerve to accuser for scamming him and said this
1)the photos were blur and noisy
2) I should compensate him for wasting his time( LIKE What SERIOUSLY)
3) he said he TRY for the warranty, but I have to pay him first

First of all, I didn't hide anything, any fact or things that I had done wrong, what you have just read is 100% unfiltered info.

I replied him: after the payment and stuff, you didn't check with me thoroughly, you did not check the headphones with the photos. You didn't tell me that the photos are blur and noisy. Why didn't you tell me to take a better photo sO you can check
2) what on earth is a kind of excuse is "compensate because I waste his time" why not you compensate me for typing this message
3 I don't know if it his carelessness or shipping problem which I obviously DO NOT COVER
HE DIDN'T EVEN DO THE WARRANTY STUFF YET OMG

I am not even sure if he is the one forcing me to give his money back

I told him that's is my responsibility to sell and ship and his responsibility was to check if the product is valid

so what do you think guys, what should I do?

Sorry for the long post. I really need help justifying this situation

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 50
That's a very unfortunate situation. Internet business dealings such as these can be complicated, and it's quite a headache trying to sort out just who's responsible for what in such cases. To that end I hope you don't take it the wrong way when I say it's a bit difficult to make any sort of definitive judgement call because all we have to go on is your side of the story. Besides, even if you did indeed sell this person a pair of SRH940 in near-mint cosmetic and working condition as described, there are still other factors to consider before assigning blame. For example: how well did you pack the headphones? If you did a poor job securing them and they were damaged in shipping, then it's still your fault.

That being said, good faith is important on both sides. As a buyer I try to give the seller the benefit of the doubt. If the box looks like it was kicked around in shipping or mishandled, and the headphones are otherwise packaged securely, then I don't assign blame to the seller. Things happen, and I realize this when I buy from someone who lives on the other side of the world (or even in another state as the case may be). From what you describe, it sounds like the headphones weren't that badly damaged. Some cracks on one side of the headband and creaking? First off: the SRH940 creaks. It's plastic. That's normal. Secondly the headband can be easily fixed, either on one's own or by sending it in for warranty repair. It's honestly not that big of a deal. Certainly not the sort of thing I'd make a federal case about and demand full compensation because of.

It's certainly possible this person who purchased the SRH940 from you is in fact the one who is a scammer. I've heard of cases where someone sells a pair of expensive headphones in perfect cosmetic and working condition, packages them well, insures them, does everything they can to uphold their side of the deal, only to have the buyer turn around and claim there is a problem with the headphones and demand full compensation. Demanding that you compensate him for wasted time is frankly ridiculous, especially if you're expending more of YOUR time trying to HELP him resolve this issue. Like I said, things happen. It's how the seller responds moving forward that is important. You are not responsible for this buyer's time, and honestly I wouldn't think he has any legal recourse to demand money from you for "wasting his time." He's probably trying to bully you or intimidate you. Unfortunately, I think it is possible for him to file a Paypal claim however, and in that case you could end up losing the money for the item.

Demanding that you pay him before he even tries to make good on the warranty is absurd, and you are in no way ethically obliged to do this. Like I said before, it sounds as if the item is in perfect working condition save for a few minor cosmetic issues. I'm not sure that sort of thing would even be covered in a warranty because it's pretty minor. It's simple: if he's that bothered by the item's minor blemishes, have him return the item to you at his expense. Only in that instance should you reimburse him.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 50
Completely irrevelevant but from my personal experience every time someone who actually IS a scammer says that they are not -- they are usually a scammer LOL.  Moral of the story real non-scammers speak by action not with words.

That said I wouldn't call you a scammer but make sure you try to take care of this buyer and keep the situation calm is my advice!

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 50
Internet sales can be very weird. That's one reason I give away my used stuff instead of selling it. I gave a perfectly good 2 week old GTX460 DirectCU to a college student whose work was very helpful in my build. Afterwards, I got several emails from him yelling and screaming about how the card was broken and why did I do this to him? It was very weird. It was working fine while in my possession, it was under warranty (ASUS has transferable warranty), and I gave it to him for free afterall. I found out later he sold the card and put the $ towards a new monitor (fine with me). And the reason he acted weird is because he didn't put the card into his sig an didn't want me to know he sold it. People on the internet can be very strange.

Good luck OP.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 50
I have been thru paypal claim which I won, because I had proof that the seller didn't hold his part on the deal, so i think if puts a paypal claim and posts pictures of cracked 940 he will win it. He even might have old cracked broken 940 and he posts pictures of it and he will win. I was thru once really hard case where I never got my stuff that I paid for and case lasted like for over a month so if he claims a case be ready to for it

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 50
Have him send you pictures of the "problem" areas of the headphone, compare them to the ones you took before.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 50

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do. He could break the headband completely in half and say it happened in shipping and PayPal would give him his money back.

You can give them all the information you want, but he'll still get a refund. The only hope would be shipping insurance...

PayPal doesn't give a rats ass about sellers.

Quote:
Hey thanks dude, really appreciate the support. I just want to know how to not let the PayPal claim work, what should I do to stop him?

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 50
Keep all records that you shipped the item, that will help your case.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 50
it was a long time ago. i sold my cds on ebay. i gave him a good deal, 100 classic rock cds for $100.
he said he did not want any tracking so i sent it without tracking.
later, he filed a claim thru paypal. i emailed the paypal about his request with email copy but still lost.
lesson learned. just gotta be careful all the time.

as for your case, did you happen to have some kind of serial number, on the pictures you sent him?
i was reading and thinking maybe he had a broken shure headphones, just like Zankes said.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #11 of 50
My case was fairly similar. I had sold an amp (on here actually) and was shipping ti to Canada. I had all the proof it was shipped, but the tracking was never updated beyond customs. So it was stuck in customs. This happens regularly when shipping international.

The customer filed a claim that he hadn't gotten the item. PayPal told me that unless I had proof of delivery, they'd refund his money. Basically, I didn't put insurance on it because the customer didn't want to pay extra for it. I never considered that PayPal 'investigations' were basically a buyer satisfaction guarantee. Luckily he never escalated the issue to a claim and I never had to refund him. He stopped responding to me (so I assume he finally got it), but for all I know it could still be in customs.

Quote:
it was a long time ago. i sold my cds on ebay. i gave him a good deal, 100 classic rock cds for $100.
he said he did not want any tracking so i sent it without tracking.
later, he filed a claim thru paypal. i emailed the paypal about his request with email copy but still lost.
lesson learned. just gotta be careful all the time.

as for your case, did you happen to have some kind of serial number, on the pictures you sent him?
i was reading and thinking maybe he had a broken shure headphones, just like Zankes said.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 50
I always ship with insurance and tracking..always.  I have learned my lesson from shady people.  I keep all receipts and shipping documents longer than I need to.  Also, I don't deal with people with little or no feedback.  It's not fool proof, but I think it helps.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 50
As said earlier. I only ship with full tracking and insurance. I hardly ever ship international anymore, and not at all if they don't have at least some good feedback. I also have completely stopped using USPS. It costs more to use FedEx, but they're so much more reliable (IME).

Quote:
IT seems everyone here had problems with selling

how DO YOU AVOID it? what do you guys do now differntly so you cant be held respeonsible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back