I have about 57 years to live- how long do you have left?
Jun 26, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Death? What is death? Is it the END, or is it merely a temporary inconvenience? Answers are elusive, but I vote for temp. inconvenience. If resurrection/reincarnation is the program, there is a chance of being upgraded to Mark II status. I know I need some tweaks...

Don't you people freak out, and wonder if I'm suicidal - I'm philosophizing again.
rolleyes.gif
<collective groan>
rolleyes.gif

Laz

When I don't take my medication, I agree with those views. (Actually I agree even when I take my medication)
biggrin.gif

Seriously, who knows? I vote for afterlife, just because then I can listen to Stax and Blue Hawaii for all eternity.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #17 of 64
According to the MSN one I'm gonna life to 71 and according to the other one its gonna be 65
frown.gif

Will be interesting to see how accurate the results are.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #18 of 64
Well i better hurry and buy all my gear and enjoy it and write a will, because it says i got 2 more years. :O

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #19 of 64
60 more years, although I have a feeling I'd probably rate higher if the last 12 months was at all indicative of what a normal year is like

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #21 of 64
50 more years. Still some time to enjoy life!

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Death? What is death? Is it the END, or is it merely a temporary inconvenience? Answers are elusive, but I vote for temp. inconvenience. If resurrection/reincarnation is the program, there is a chance of being upgraded to Mark II status. I know I need some tweaks...

Don't you people freak out, and wonder if I'm suicidal - I'm philosophizing again.
rolleyes.gif
<collective groan>
rolleyes.gif

Laz

Death is the word we use to signify when this present life ends (heart stops beating). whether or not you have something going on after, is a whole different story. I could have asked "how long before your next life", but that of course is against the rules of religious talk and dosen't apply to everyone's beliefs.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #24 of 64
At the end of your life, no more energy is provided to your brain caused by some dysfunctional organ composing your body. Your brain with no more energy will stop all activities (no energy to power the neural connections). When your brain stop working it will be the end of your life. The "soul" is something created by the infinite possible configurations in brain connections and when the brain stop working, the body and the "soul" die.

That's why you have to fully live your current life because you won't get a second chance.

On another note, I think that if everybody stick to head-fi until the end, this forum might be considered at it's first stage. Maybe in 50 years when most will be old, we might meet in a virtual environnement while drinking cyber-beer.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the end of your life, no more energy is provided to your brain caused by some dysfunctional organ composing your body. Your brain with no more energy will stop all activities (no energy to power the neural connections). When your brain stop working it will be the end of your life. The "soul" is something created by the infinite possible configurations in brain connections and when the brain stop working, the body and the "soul" die.

That's why you have to fully live your current life because you won't get a second chance.

On another note, I think that if everybody stick to head-fi until the end, this forum might be considered at it's first stage. Maybe in 50 years when most will be old, we might meet in a virtual environnement while drinking cyber-beer.

As a biologist, I couldn't let this go
smily_headphones1.gif
It's not that simple.

The brain is not "wired" and does not run on electricity, despite the common perception as such. Neurons are not infinite, and neither is the number of connections between them. The brain as an organ is not something mystical, but it is complex and poorly understood. The mind/body/soul debate has been ongoing for a long time, probably due to the simple fact that it is nearly impossible to test in a controlled way. Consciousness/mind/soul may be a physical consequence of a sufficiently connected neural net. Or it may be a uniquely organic or human trait. I don't know, and neither does anyone else!

I prefer real beer, real women and real friends, and I'd be happy to meet Head-Fi'ers now to one (a real beer, that is
wink.gif
).

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #27 of 64
If I was going to ask someone to risk their life to satisfy my greed or ego; I'd first want to convince them that there is something really great to look forward to after death.

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #28 of 64
I should have been dead five years ago.

These days, I don't bother with charts, expectancies, etc. Those are just statistics - you never know when death will turn up. Make the most of life while you still can. Don't put anything off for the "right time." You might not get another chance.

I can't quite recommend near-death experiences, but they can be liberating.

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #29 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make the most of life while you still can. Don't put anything off for the "right time." You might not get another chance.

Excellent advice.

That is actually what I was trying to get people to think. It wasn't about the statistics. Once you look at it as how long you have left, rather than how long you have been alive for, then you start to see things a little differently, because now all of a sudden there is an end to all of this, and it makes no sense wasting any of it.

"You're going to die anyway, so have fun along the way."

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #30 of 64
At least another 70 years to go!

I think you need to at least add 10 years, who knows what will happen with the advancement of modern medicine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back