I hate the mall.
Aug 30, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #91 of 107
It's unfortunate that shopping online is so much more convenient, it's really nice being able to touch something in real life before you buy. Makes clothes shopping a pain if they don't fit or aren't comfortable.

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #93 of 107
I just bought a new bicycle at a mall. There is an advantage.

I can physically see the bike and the salesman can give me advice just like how salesmen have been doing it in the old days.

And the bike is preassembled. If I bought a bike from Amazon, it comes in a box and I have to assemble it myself. It’s probably easy to do but it gives me peace of mind that I don’t have to worry about it.

Also, if there is a problem it’s easier to return it to the mall store and the sales guy can recognize me and I know his name.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #94 of 107
Still malls have been on the way out for awhile.

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #96 of 107
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_mall

1024px-Cloud_Line_Shopping_Mall_Vacant_Store.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #97 of 107
I haven't been to a mall in over a year lol! Buy everything online now. I wonder how malls will evolve in the future or will they just die out completely.

Malls have clearly declined but in America malls will never die.

In most parts of America, big pedestrian areas are rare. We are mostly a car society. Most parts of America don’t have that walking infrastructure like how you see in Europe and Asia.

On a human psychological level, many people enjoy public gatherings so malls can allow that to happen.

Also, many malls are busy and crowded despite their decline. You may not see it in your state but in other states I’ve seen malls still thriving.

Lastly, not everyone prefers internet shopping. There are advantages of actually buying something in person at a store the old fashioned way.

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #99 of 107
Cool to see. I was in Japan 2019. Went to those locals, though I was primarily interested in other things. Japan is such a nice place!

Amazing as they have giant shops where everything is worked out. No windows often, so they have elaborate fire/suppression systems. Great subways that take you everywhere, and very interesting food. I also found the Royal Palaces interesting. I would love to go back someday. An incredibly detailed way of doing things.
Japanese arcades are dying. It's probably been dead, but they finally put the nail in thr coffin. It just seems like Jpapanese culture is just dying in the last two decades.

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #100 of 107
Cool to see. I was in Japan 2019. Went to those locals, though I was primarily interested in other things. Japan is such a nice place!

Amazing as they have giant shops where everything is worked out. No windows often, so they have elaborate fire/suppression systems. Great subways that take you everywhere, and very interesting food. I also found the Royal Palaces interesting. I would love to go back someday. An incredibly detailed way of doing things.
I hear good things about food in Japan, but I also heard negative things about how annoying it is to live there due to the the government mandates and customer services like banks and stuff. Not a very efficient culture in terms of how they do things. We have it so easy in the US. Great place to check out I bet, and even better back in the days when their technology was ahead at the time.

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #101 of 107
In Japan:

So my wife and I are exploring and we stop off at a place that looks like they have steak. Really a nice restaurant where it’s one floor below the main street and we are in line to enter. Meaning they need to process the people ahead of us, when this guy comes out and focused upon only us. He goes to the end of the line where we are and has a look on his face that surly we don’t know what kind of restaurant it is. It wasn’t exactly steak, but cows tongue!

So, we laughed and walked over about 5 feet to another place and sat down. It looked great and we used the pictures on the menu to order. We saw other people getting their food and all seemed well. They had these little cast metal plates which were almost bowls which they heated up and we could hear food sizzling. We sat facing one another and our order came. It turned out it was a raw chicken restaurant and we had ordered not two but four dishes which in fact were raw chicken. One was a style of rice and chicken which was raw but had just barely been cooked by those plates. The other dish was a salad where the (totally totally raw) chicken was cut and mixed with lettuce. My wife was totally grossed out and we both laughed as maybe the tongue place would have been better. My wife couldn’t eat anything so I went ahead and ate all four dishes.

Another place had an excellent rendition of Italian food. Only it was Japanese style. It was maybe a take on tomato and cheese only the sauce was way different? We stayed near where there was very pricy lunch steak places. There were actually two or three right near our hotel. Nothing strange except it was always about $65 to $100 for lunch, for two. The one time my wife had Kobe beef, and really there was nothing weird or bad at all.......in fact it was some of the best steak we have ever had! We were so very shell-shocked from our raw chicken and beef tongue experience.....though everything else was totally normal.

This other time we were in Singapore and a Indian restaurant played a crazy scam on us. We ordered food and it came, only they would keep bringing food and we thought it was part of our order. As it turned out somehow they just kept bringing us food that we didn’t order. We kept eating it, but little did we know it was extra. Really when we got the bill the original food we we ordered was $38 but they brought us an additional $38 dollars worth of food, not actually ordered? Normally Indian food is never $76 dollars.....funny. We decided when we go back we will never eat there again.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #102 of 107
In Japan:

So my wife and I are exploring and we stop off at a place that looks like they have steak. Really a nice restaurant where it’s one floor below the main street and we are in line to enter. Meaning they need to process the people ahead of us, when this guy comes out and focused upon only us. He goes to the end of the line where we are and has a look on his face that surly we don’t know what kind of restaurant it is. It wasn’t exactly steak, but cows tongue!

So, we laughed and walked over about 5 feet to another place and sat down. It looked great and we used the pictures on the menu to order. We saw other people getting their food and all seemed well. They had these little cast metal plates which were almost bowls which they heated up and we could hear food sizzling. We sat facing one another and our order came. It turned out it was a raw chicken restaurant and we had ordered not two but four dishes which in fact were raw chicken. One was a style of rice and chicken which was raw but had just barely been cooked by those plates. The other dish was a salad where the (totally totally raw) chicken was cut and mixed with lettuce. My wife was totally grossed out and we both laughed as maybe the tongue place would have been better. My wife couldn’t eat anything so I went ahead and ate all four dishes.

Another place had an excellent rendition of Italian food. Only it was Japanese style. It was maybe a take on tomato and cheese only the sauce was way different? We stayed near where there was very pricy lunch steak places. There were actually two or three right near our hotel. Nothing strange except it was always about $65 to $100 for lunch, for two. The one time my wife had Kobe beef, and really there was nothing weird or bad at all.......in fact it was some of the best steak we have ever had! We were so very shell-shocked from our raw chicken and beef tongue experience.....though everything else was totally normal.

This other time we were in Singapore and a Indian restaurant played a crazy scam on us. We ordered food and it came, only they would keep bringing food and we thought it was part of our order. As it turned out somehow they just kept bringing us food that we didn’t order. We kept eating it, but little did we know it was extra. Really when we got the bill the original food we we ordered was $38 but they brought us an additional $38 dollars worth of food, not actually ordered? Normally Indian food is never $76 dollars.....funny. We decided when we go back we will never eat there again.
Negative is that food is expensive for the portion you get, but conversely, better quality on the avg than the US. I've heard that their foreign dishes may not be authentic, but it's still very good because it's made so well.

Raw chicken is odd indeed, but the freshness of meat is probably good enough for it. For obvious reasons, we don't eat raw chicken in the US.

Edit: It seems they boil the chicken for 10 sec to kill off the surface contaminants.

I would be grossed out eating cow tongue as well, but I've heard organ meat skewers are a delicacy there. In actuality, organ meat has a lot of nutrients.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #103 of 107
I hear good things about food in Japan, but I also heard negative things about how annoying it is to live there due to the the government mandates and customer services like banks and stuff. Not a very efficient culture in terms of how they do things. We have it so easy in the US. Great place to check out I bet, and even better back in the days when their technology was ahead at the time.
You really have to see Japan. At least Tokyo streets are totally smooth. They have cars with 8 inch tall wheels that can ride on the street, as no bumps. Also there is no trash, not even a piece of trash on the street. You’ve never seen anything like it! There is not even a one inch piece of paper on the street. No trash cans either, I guess your supposed to take your trash home and throw it away?

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #104 of 107
Negative is that food is expensive for the portion you get, but conversely, better quality on the avg than the US. I've heard that their foreign dishes may not be authentic, but it's still very good because it's made so well.

Raw chicken is odd indeed, but the freshness of meat is probably good enough for it. For obvious reasons, we don't eat raw chicken in the US.

I would be grossed out eating cow tongue as well, but I've heard organ meat skewers are a delicacy there. In actuality, organ meat has a lot of nutrients.
Actually surprisingly the portions were actually normal? Not totally US portions but maybe slightly less. It wasn’t like going to those $300 dinner restaurants where they give you 5 beans and a steak the size of a half-dollar coin with colorful sauce splashed on top. I hate that style of food, and I don’t care if they have 15 courses.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #105 of 107
I don't like malls either, or the grocery store or any other place where people gather. Then again I am in my mid 50's have ptsd and social anxiety so it makes sense. When I first started reading your post I thought it was a rant from some old guy that was annoyed with kids. Then I found out you were one of them lol. That is a lot of anger for someone your age, but not uncommon I guess. Being annoyed I get, feeling like you don't fit in I get. Wanting to punch someone in the face? You might want to look into that. And working retail might not be the best vocation for you. When I was young I never really cared what someone was wearing. I got along with all the groups, jocks, burn outs, preppies, nerds, didn't matter to me. I was more interested in how they treated people.

As for the old guy checking out girls at the mall, ya that is probably me. I remember the day I realized I was the creepy dad at the mall looking at the younger girls and it was horrifying lol. I was like "Oh my god, I am THAT dude!". Guys are guys, it is what we are going to do. Sometimes we forget we are 50 or whatever. Its not like I am cat calling them or asking to them to get in my white van lol. Don't get me wrong, I check out the moms too. If you are pretty I am going to take a second look. And someone that looks like they are dressed from hot topic and covered in piercings probably isn't going to interest me much anyway, not really my thing.

The thing that drives me crazy about public spaces is that everyone has their head buried in their phone and doesn't pay attention. I have had people walk right into me at the mall, walmart and the grocery store. I swear some days I just want to walk around and start smacking phones out of peoples hands. I don't, but I would like to. And it isn't just kids, its everyone. Like I said though I am in my 50's and not that mentally stable. I feel I have earned a little internal rage at this point.

I honestly don't leave the house unless I have to. That being said if I want to buy something I prefer to go shop for it and get it in person vs ordering it online. I know the people will bother me and the traffic will drive me nuts (yep, I have a bit of road rage too lol) but sometimes I just want to see the product in person and see what I am getting. I have drugs for the panic attacks, it works out in the end. And I do fine once I am out and about. Its just getting me to actually leave the house that is the problem. Not going to lie either, I have driven 40 minutes to store like the mall or cabelas or something, sat in the parking lot for a few minutes and then just left because their were too many people. Whatever it was I wanted I just didn't want or need that bad at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back