I finally got my SinglePower
Apr 28, 2005 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

ayt999

Headphoneus Supremus
It's finally here!! my SinglePower amplifier.
biggrin.gif

10639MPX3-med.JPG

well, I thought I would start it off by showing Evoz's MPX3 that I've been borrowing for a few weeks.
tongue.gif

so anyways, if you haven't guessed already, that isn't what the FedEx truck brought me earlier this week.

10639FedEx_truck_2-med.JPG

no, they brought something much better (and much more massive) than the MPX3.
biggrin.gif

10639MPX3_SDS-XLR-med.JPG

now I can finally use my recabled MDR-023 headphones with the amplifier I made them for. lol

10639MDR-023_SDS-XLR-med.JPG

however, the cables didn't arrive in the same shipment, and since USPS is apparently lazy and doesn't want to deliver Express packages quickly... I had to wait another day until I got the necessary cables to make the SDS-XLR work. so a day later, the cables arrive.

the two umbilical cords that supply power to the amplification section, and the cord that supplies power to the LED display. (there are some case-mount connectors that shouldn't be there and were later removed on one of the cables)

10639Umbilical_Cords-med.JPG

and a couple of preproduction power cables to try out with the amplifier.

10639SinglePower_power_cables-med.JPG

wiring up the amplifier....

10639SDS-XLR_back_cables-med.JPG

knobs on the side for stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

10639SDS-XLR_side_knobs-med.JPG

it even comes with a remote!! (I'm probably going to recase it in something better later on.)

10639SDS-XLR_remote-med.JPG

seeing how a sextet of round plate tubes looks on the SDS-XLR.

10639SDS-XLR_amp_round_plate_2-med.JPG

I really need a new rack....

10639SDS-XLR_system-med.JPG

balanced amplifier shootout anyone? (the BlockHead barely squeezes in between the Accuphase DP-85 and the shelf on top)

10639SDS-XLR_system_2-med.JPG

so since I realize that the above photos are pretty bad and don't show the amp in action... here are some that Mikhail took when he had it hostage.
tongue.gif

10639sds6-med.JPG

I like the great job he did with the recessed XLR headphone jacks and the overall balance of the components. the dots around the volume knobs were my idea.
smily_headphones1.gif

10639sds4-med.JPG

so anyways... that's my new amplifier.
biggrin.gif
I've switched the tubes from the Electro-Harmonix ones seen in some of the pictures to a pair of 6SN7W's and VT-231's for now... the Qualia 010 sounds pretty splendid right now, much better than any of the amplifiers I've used it with so far, including the BlockHead and Gilmore Balanced Reference.
orphsmile.gif
I shouldn't neglect the HE90's though....

Apr 28, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 64
Enjoy some music with that for me please.

Apr 28, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 64
Nice, Alex... very, very nice! Please do report back once you've put some mileage on that amp.

The pic of the Fed Ex truck through your windows says so much. "It's here! It's here! I'd better get a pic for head-fi... It's here!"

Apr 28, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Wow... seriously nice amp aty999. That beauty looks even more maxed out than Tom Hankins SDS-XLR.
blink.gif

sure is.
biggrin.gif

blackgates all over the place (even has four sections of blackgate capacitors in the PSU... in the original config that was supposedly maxed out, it only had two sections there), around 25mF of power res. caps (one 9200uF and four 3900uF), Solen Stage 3 covering an entire side panel inside the amplifier, dual 45 position Shallco stepped attenuators switchable between it and the digital volume control, and a position on the lower side-panel knob to select for the circuit specially tuned for a balanced Qualia 010.

and I believe my screenname is ayt999.
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
blackgates all over the place (even has four sections of blackgate capacitors in the PSU... in the original config that was supposedly maxed out, it only had two sections there), around 25mF of power res. caps (one 9200uF and four 3900uF), Solen Stage 3 covering an entire side panel inside the amplifier, dual 45 position Shallco stepped attenuators switchable between it and the digital volume control, and a position on the lower side-panel knob to select for the circuit specially tuned for a balanced Qualia 010.

Can we see p-r-0-n?

p.s. Your quest for overkill amps won't end until you have balanced mig2
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
p.s. Your quest for overkill amps won't end until you have balanced mig2
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

I have schematics for that on my computer. does that count?

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 64
Now that's an amp.
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 64
Congrats on being the 2nd head-fier to own the SDS-XLR
wink.gif
Be the first to build the mig2
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

[size=xx-small]ps. I'd be happy to take that puny block-head off your hands
wink.gif
[/size]

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 64
heh... I should have bribed Mikhail to send Tom's amp after mine was sent.
evil_smiley.gif
mine would have been out earlier (but even then a few days after Tom's went out) but there were a few details that needed to be worked out... and I forgot that Mikhail didn't have a balanced Qualia headphone cable so sent mine to him pretty late in the process and delayed things even more.

you can have my BlockHead if you give me say... 3000 USD.
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #14 of 64
Alex,

I know its been a long wait. Though, it looks like it was worth it. Your a tough guy to satisfy (SQ-wise) these days so look forward to your impressions. That thing must sound heavenly.

btw, I like Simon's MPX3 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back