I finally got my SinglePower
Apr 28, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #17 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
Am I missing out on something, or are you joking about the MDR-023s?

I don't know... I thought it would be funny to recable the cheapest headphones I have and terminate them with balanced connectors so I can pair them up with one of the most expensive headphone amplifiers around.

even the SDS-XLR couldn't make them sound good.
tongue.gif

10639023CuXLR-med.JPG

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #18 of 64
ayt999, how much do u spent for all of those (everything in the rack)?

huge money... people
icon10.gif

Any comment from ur friend, who is not a headphile, when they see your rigs?

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #19 of 64
I think I spent around $30 for the rack itself.
smily_headphones1.gif
let's not talk about what's on it.
wink.gif

I doubt anyone knows how much this stuff costs when they see it, which usually is a good thing.

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #21 of 64
Congratulations!
Yes...awesome. What a magnificant piece. Both in quality and potential Hi-Fi it radiates where it stands, but also in shear size. Somebody would shurely ask: does it have to be that big, and in two chassis? Of course dear, it has to. I would bore you with explaining why.

But what is that? In the picure of the MPX3 the power caps look thicker than mine. Or is it just a trick of light because they don't have the pollished finnish of the one's I have?

Those two pots at the side in one of the pictures, do you start the controlled chainreaction in the reactor with them? You know, inserting the fuel rods?
wink.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Perhaps it is just the pic, but it seems the top shelf is bending under the weight of the behemoth
biggrin.gif

ya, I noticed that too... time for a real audio rack!!

it is pretty level though, cannot expect too much from something you can buy for less than $30 from IKEA.

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Somebody would shurely ask: does it have to be that big, and in two chassis? Of course dear, it has to. I would bore you with explaining why.

that pretty much sums it up.
smily_headphones1.gif
there are a lot of large capacitors in each chassis, nevermind a huge Plitron torroidal transformer in the PSU. Quote:

But what is that? In the picure of the MPX3 the power caps look thicker than mine. Or is it just a trick of light because they don't have the pollished finnish of the one's I have?

they are 5cm in diameter and stick out 6cm from the chassis. the amp isn't mine so I don't know what the value of the capacitor is... all I know is that it is quite dinky compared to the ones in the SDS-XLR. Quote:

Those two pots at the side in one of the pictures, do you start the controlled chainreaction in the reactor with them? You know, inserting the fuel rods?
wink.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

the top one switches between the 45 position stepped attenuators and the digital volume control. the bottom one switches between no Solen Stage 3, Solen Stage 3, and Solen Stage 3 with a circuit voiced for the Qualia 010.

Apr 28, 2005 at 8:43 AM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
..."they are 5cm in diameter and stick out 6cm from the chassis. the amp isn't mine so I don't know what the value of the capacitor is...

Mine are 51,6mm so your loaner probably had the standard one's

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
the top one switches between the 45 position stepped attenuators and the digital volume control. the bottom one switches between no Solen Stage 3, Solen Stage 3, and Solen Stage 3 with a circuit voiced for the Qualia 010.

Oh, I see...
eek.gif

Ehh - hrmm - what are your initial sound impressions in comparison to the whimp you borrowed
tongue.gif
?

My MPX3 took ~100h till it started to stabilize. But yours with all that mF and all the switchable functions, not to mention the Balck Gate's would like a little longer time I guess
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #28 of 64
this guy is out of control
biggrin.gif
I can't wait to hear your listening impressions.

Its definitely time to recable the R10 with a balanced cable.

Can you tell us more about the digital volume control that you had installed?

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #29 of 64
How fast does it pop popcorn? That is trully a very nice rig, and then some. Can you deduct that off of income tax as a dependant?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back