I finally got my SinglePower
Apr 28, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #46 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I'm waiting for Edwood to recable his R10 and let me borrow them.
biggrin.gif

Ever wonder why I haven't replaced the ear pads yet?
wink.gif

Are you building a Balanced headphone switchbox yet? I guess it's more difficult to find and wire up a 4PDT switch.
tongue.gif

I'm building a Balanced Gilmore soon, so stay tuned........

Man, your new SinglePower Monster takes the cake, Alex. Wow.

-Ed

Apr 28, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #47 of 64
Looks great! I can't wait to hear it. My Dynamight should be done in a week or so (but you know how these things go...), so the ultimate amp comparison should happen soon (my balanced Black Dragon cable has been here a couple of weeks, by the way).

sft mentioned something about the digital controller being made by a company named Lite (he has one too) and that there are two options, the better one being one where you can hear an audible click when it changes volume. Is this what you have?

How about a picture of the inside?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
You can do both. They are not mutually exclusive.
evil_smiley.gif

Beautiful line -- and so true.

BW

Apr 28, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
sft mentioned something about the digital controller being made by a company named Lite (he has one too) and that there are two options, the better one being one where you can hear an audible click when it changes volume. Is this what you have?

ya, it makes a pretty loud click in the circuit where the volume control is located. you don't hear anything in the headphones though and the volume transitions are very smooth.

Apr 29, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #50 of 64
These amps are just too much!!
blink.gif

Makes my 2 box SDS-T look small.I did consider having Maestro cases for the SDS but I haven't really got the room esp. for the power supply which would have to have had the rectifier tube on the top.Wonder what the cost of this beast is?

What I need is someone to get an amp similar to Alex's but with tube power supplies and see how that sounds.Hmm... or how about having the power supplies in separate boxes!

I wonder how a dual mono amp like this would sound wired up to a stereo 1/4 jack,would there be any benefit?

I like Toms amp with the switch so they become too separate amps

BTW The more I hear about the 010's the less I think I would like them.

Apr 29, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #51 of 64
How much did it cost anyways? Or are you not allowed to discuss that?

Apr 29, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
What I need is someone to get an amp similar to Alex's but with tube power supplies and see how that sounds.Hmm... or how about having the power supplies in separate boxes!

I was thinking of getting two SDS-T PSU's like you have one day and flanking the SDS-XLR amplifier with them. mine has a separate power connector per amplifier section in the SDS-XLR so it should be pretty easy to configure as such. if I didn't care for balanced operation but still wanted a tube rectified PSU, I can also power only one side of the amp and leave the other side turned off.

after talking to Mikhail early on, the SS PSU seemed like the better option than a tube-rectified PSU for what I wanted, thus I went with this configuration. Quote:

I like Toms amp with the switch so they become too separate amps.

mine does that too... but rather than a switch to switch between the XLR and RCA inputs, I manually disconnect the XLR inputs and connect the two RCA pairs for the two sides. I don't have a need for the XLR and both RCA inputs to be hooked up at once so that's why it is configured this way. Quote:

BTW The more I hear about the 010's the less I think I would like them.

I wonder why you say that.

Apr 30, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #53 of 64
Holy smoke!!! Wow, what a brute! That thing looks suweet!! When do we get to hear about how she sounds?? I would ask about price but like they say, if you gotta ask.....

Curious. What's the total weight on that thing? I noticed the FedEx truck appeared to be sitting very low to the ground in that pic. Have you considered a bit of back filling around the foundation on that side of the house?
wink.gif

Hey, congrats on that beautiful piece. If there's anyone here who can relate to a long, long wait for a piece of gear, it's me.

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Holy smoke!!! Wow, what a brute! That thing looks suweet!! When do we get to hear about how she sounds??

I'm working my way through my systems and hopefully will have some impressions formulated by the end of the week.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm also hoping to get a few other Head-Fiers here to help me out with the reviewing. possibly will host a (small) meet in a week or two. Quote:

Curious. What's the total weight on that thing? I noticed the FedEx truck appeared to be sitting very low to the ground in that pic. Have you considered a bit of back filling around the foundation on that side of the house?
wink.gif

the PSU weighs 56 pounds and the amp weighs 40 pounds. it probably was pretty hilarious if you saw me on the bathroom scale holding the huge things trying to figure out how much they weighed. I'm in an apartment right now so I don't think filling the foundation is an option I have. lol Quote:

Hey, congrats on that beautiful piece. If there's anyone here who can relate to a long, long wait for a piece of gear, it's me.

yes, but I was never Mr. Ampless.
biggrin.gif
I had let's see... a HeadAmp Blue Hawaii, HeadAmp Balanced Reference, Grace 901 and Grado HPA1 the whole time, and just to make sure, padded that collection by obtaining an Audio-Technica AT-DHA3000 and HeadRoom BlockHead in the meantime.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

congrats on finally getting your Raptor. hopefully I'll get to hear one someday. I don't want to start a new tube collection for the raptor so I wouldn't be getting one myself.
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

I really wish the R10's came with detachable cables.
frown.gif

Me too.

Hmmmm. Perhaps there is a really nice connector that can be used. As it stands, it costs $255 to open up the ear cups and do anything like replacing the cables.

It is entirely possible to mod the cable to be balanced without ripping off the ear pads, though. Of course, you'd have to stick with the stock cable. But it's such a nice cable anyways. The silk covered cable is soooooo much nicer than the 010's stock cable.

-Ed

Apr 30, 2005 at 10:06 AM Post #56 of 64
furutech XLR connectors.
http://venhaus1.com/FurutechFP601andFP602.html

$65 to $80 per connector at VH Audio depending on if you get the gold or the rhodium version.

I was considering them... but went with some Neutrik NC3MX-HD stuff instead since they were cheaper by $60 to $75 per connector.
tongue.gif
maybe I'll get the furutechs when I go for palladium or gold wired headphone recables. lol

or were you talking about putting a connector on the headphone?

Apr 30, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #57 of 64
Quote:

lolyes, but I was never Mr. Ampless.
biggrin.gif
I had let's see... a HeadAmp Blue Hawaii, HeadAmp Balanced Reference, Grace 901 and Grado HPA1 the whole time, and just to make sure, padded that collection by obtaining an Audio-Technica AT-DHA3000 and HeadRoom BlockHead in the meantime.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey, welcome to the "Roast KenW's lovespuds club"!! I know Mike will be sending your welcome materials out shortly. Careful with the lighter fluid and matches around all that gear though! He's going to be oh so happy to know he's added another member.
icon10.gif

Quote:

congrats on finally getting your Raptor. hopefully I'll get to hear one someday. I don't want to start a new tube collection for the raptor so I wouldn't be getting one myself.
tongue.gif

I can understand that. Those pesky tube collections can take up a lot of space which you obviously find in short supply. Question: with gear like that do you EVER leave the house? I only ask because I know I never would!
icon10.gif

Apr 30, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #58 of 64
What a beauty.
And you want change the cases? Which do you have in mind?

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Hey, welcome to the "Roast KenW's lovespuds club"!! I know Mike will be sending your welcome materials out shortly. Careful with the lighter fluid and matches around all that gear though! He's going to be oh so happy to know he's added another member.
icon10.gif

why, thank you? lol. I know I'm definitely not a part of team "dinky" so I'll be waiting for my welcome materials from Mike.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Question: with gear like that do you EVER leave the house? I only ask because I know I never would!
icon10.gif

yes, all the time. like right now. have to go help set up for my Fraternity's annual Banquet. I haven't gotten too much time with the SDS-XLR yet because of stuff like that. Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
What a beauty.
And you want change the cases? Which do you have in mind?

I assume you are talking about my comment regarding the remote control? since I believe I never mentioned anything about changing the cases for the amplifiers. they are perfect as it is IMO, although they could be smaller.
tongue.gif
the remote for the SDS-XLR is way too dinky for my system though and we can't have that can we? like, if the remote for the Accuphase DP-85 and the SDS-XLR remote were to duke it out, the SDS-XLR remote would lose badly.
biggrin.gif

I was thinking of something following the design of the amp itself, though I don't know what exactly since it also has to accomodate the shape and size of the remote control circuit. machined from aluminum or something substantial probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back