I dont like my HD650's - Now what?
Oct 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #16 of 44
I just got the Grado 325is a few days ago but so far it has been very comfortable even though when first putting it on it doesn't seem that way.  My ears don't start hurting like they do with other ones. For example, the AKG 701 seems very plush and comfortable when I first wear it but after a while my head/ears begin to hurt. 

Anyway what I was going to say is if you can afford it, have more than one pair of cans because the sound characters are different so depending on what the recording is, you would choose one or another (or from among more than two if you had that many).

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #17 of 44
Yes I am planning to wait the GS-1 before making a move anyways and I plan to own more than 1 pair of cans for different purposes. So I will keep my HD650's for now and get another to compliment them and then maybe another pair...i would think 3 at any given time should be enough.

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #19 of 44

Quote:

All in all it seems that They are brilliant with vocals and more calm/civilized music but lack something when dealing with:
Melodic Death, Noiserock, Desertrock, Melodic Black, Heavy Metal... 

I listen to that type of stuff primarily, along with other genres you mentioned...
L3000.gif

(looks down at sig)...
confused_face_2.gif

No complaints there. 
biggrin.gif

Don't know what to tell you...perhaps it isn't your HD650's, and maybe something else in the chain contributing to the lack of synergy?  Or perhaps you've just grown so accustomed to the sound of your other phones that these just sound "off" to you?  Definitely wait until you get your new amp before jumping off the HD650 fanwagon...

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #20 of 44
Well, as said Im gonna wait till my GS-1 arrives and its not that I jump off its more that I want to add something and during the month I have had 650's I have realized that they are superior to 595's just that the 595's have few qualities I like.

My chain:

Asus xonar D2PM -->Marantz PM70 (tda1515) -->Morgan Jones DIY amp ---> HD 650's

Mostly lossless flac's.

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #21 of 44

Quote:
what's with the grenade?

When I joined I had just used that grenade image to design a book of communication psychology so so I had it at hand and well its a nice picture. No other reason, not really into violence only if its large sci-fi battles on computer/tv screen and only if they are really evil like "Alien's" etc. Anyways...why do you ask?

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #22 of 44
I was just curious.  It's an interesting thing for an avatar, completely isolated with white background like that.  Definitely not the reason I was expecting!  I agree about alien space battles.  Funny you should mention that, I just finished watching Aliens about 5 minutes ago.

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #23 of 44
Hmmm. Maybe you should hold judgment until you get the GS-1. I think you'll find that the character of the HD-650 will change on solid state as opposed to OTL. The Morgan Jones is a nice design, but maybe its sound with the HD-650 isn't for you.

Oct 31, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #24 of 44
I hear you Uncle Erik, 

As said I am slowly starting to feel that maybe I should get an extra pair but I wouldn't give up HD650's just yet at least not before I get to hear them with a good solid state amp and I hear GS-1 is pretty decent SS amp.
Also eventually I will get myself a wooaudio or something of similar quality maybe something more obscure just for kicks but...

Oct 31, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #25 of 44

Quote:
I was just curious.  It's an interesting thing for an avatar, completely isolated with white background like that.  Definitely not the reason I was expecting!  I agree about alien space battles.  Funny you should mention that, I just finished watching Aliens about 5 minutes ago.

Whats with the dog?

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #26 of 44

Quote:

I enjoy your whimsical posts but I do miss the chimp.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #27 of 44
So how are you liking the HD650's with the GS1? not sure if you started another thread about it..

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #28 of 44
Interesting. 
Liked the 595, but disliked the 650.
In this one rare instance, I might actually suspect an amp problem. 
Unless OP dislikes bass, which would then also make sense.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #29 of 44
Oh I actually have started to like my HD650's more now I initially felt that they were too spacious...but now I cant live without the detail. Got a pair of DT990 pro's and well they are inferior to HD650's in every way.
Though I am interested to know what could beat HD650's and still have the clarity and definiton in its bass while not being "anecdotal" or overepowering.

Edit: Also I have not yet gotten my GS-1 I should have but its somewhere on or IN the ocean. I am getting very nervous about it and will bomb Justin with info requests.
I got the tracking number and I know it left united states on 15th of december but has not arrived and it should have arrived in 3-5 days.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #30 of 44
I have actually had several things on order the past few weeks and all of them came later than the estimated date on tracking. I think the holiday season really puts a cramp in shipping. So perhaps a bit of patience is in order but I would definately start to think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back