I dont like my HD650's - Now what?
Oct 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Arlekiin

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

So I dont like my HD650's and would like to move on but I was so certain I would like them that I have now no idea what to try next. 
I would like to spend ~400USD on my next pair I am not yet ready for spending 1000USD-ish. 
All I can say I did like my HD595's but would like to get a tiny bit of more bass and soundstage.

Recommendations welcome,

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 44
Damit, i just spent like 30 mins writing a post and then hitting back on my mouse by accident and losing all my hard work. Anyways your recommendation to assess what style of music I listen to and what I like/dislike about 650's caused me to revisit it and I have a better understanding now. 

I am using Morgan Jones type DIY amp with 3x6N1P valves. Very lush sounding and gave hd595's a very lush and powerful sound. Wouldnt dream of running them unamped but till my GS-1 arrives from Justin I have no alternative choices. Its very good with 0 hum and wide soundstage etc but no doubt its very very (tubey) so maybe a great solid state like the GS-1 from justin will give better synergy with HD650's.

They are great for electronic, there might be better ones but good. (Shpongle, Kryptic Minds, Massive Attack)
They are great for vocals hard to beat. (Yat-Kha)
They are great for folk-rock (jethro tull etc)
They are good for oldschool trash etc (Metallica Load,Reload,Ride the lightning).
Dead Can dance sounds brilliant if maybe just a tad distant.
Coppelius - Brilliant
Russian Circles - gets mashed a little but it is a noise/spacerock so it might be the recording itself.
Unida - Ok i dont notice the cans that must means they are doing ok...
KMFDM - Sound ok no objections here.

Not so good with progressive metal like Tool (10.000 days sounds great "Lateralus" bass separation could be better but I like the vocals again)
Not so good with Guano Apes etc - Again soundwall etc seems to overwhelm the picture somehow specifically guitar tuned in C seem to pose a challenge.
Not so good with Rotting Christ (again this overwhelming rumble effect).

All in all it seems that They are brilliant with vocals and more calm/civilized music but lack something when dealing with:
Melodic Death, Noiserock, Desertrock, Melodic Black, Heavy Metal...

In conclusion, it seems that I am looking for another set of cans specifically for rock/metal. Another thing I am curious about is when mi GS-1 arrives from head-amp what will that do my HD650's.

P.S: It is very interesting when I listen to them, I find them ok but when I just let it wash over me and use them for background listening I find myself reaching for music mentally and its slightly disturbing for me cause I listen alot when I am working.
Also I notice I gave high marks to almost everything so, it turns out they actually are pretty good but there is this strange distant quality to them and I have tried grado sound once and didnt like that either so...just a tad tighter presentation would be nice i think.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 44
Possibly, I hear they arent that comfortable and I use all my headphones hours on end, so comfort is a must.

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 44
I just got a pair of Grado RS2 and find them to be very comfortable!  I think you have to try them as they are obiosuly different with everyone.

I also have a pair of Shure srh 840's and find them a bit heavier, but still very comfortable; although  I think the Grado's problably be better for rock.

Joseph

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 44
I found the same "distant" sounding problem with the hd650's ,some people like it,but its rubbish for rock.
Do you find yourself turning the volume up to compensate?.
It dosent work.
You should try the beyer dt990's.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/information-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 44
@wasp131 

You are right turning up the volume has no effect on it, I can explode my head with volume but the caracteristic remains. Any idea how DT990's are with electronic music? Also any idea if there is a large difference between 250ohm~600ohm versions? Edit: oh sorry link you gave answers all.

@Clicker7

Any idea how RS2's are doing with electronic? 

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 44
Beyers are fantastic with electronic music,they have a larger/better soundstage than the hd's,
Although ive never heard the rs2's i do have the sr60's and the ms1's and while they are very good with rock in general they dont have the bass power for electronic music i.m.o.,
and comfort can be a problem.
The beyers are also the most comfortable can's i have ever owned and the lightest in their class.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #14 of 44
Also suggesting the DT990s, they're what I ended up settling on (having tried the HD595 & HD600 prior), and I primarily listen to rock and metal music. This coming from a pair of Grados (Alessandro MS-1) prior. They're awesome all-rounder headphones but they're particularly good for rock and metal, the 600-Ohm version will probably do you good.

They're also the most comfortable headphones I've ever put on my head, and sometimes they're on my head for 10+ hours at a time.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 44
You might want to wait until you see how the GS1 sounds with them.  Sounds like you're using a warm amp with a warm headphone.  The GS1 is on the other side of the fence a bit, so it should give the HD650 a very different sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back