I discovered my Teslas!
Dec 6, 2010 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

bhanja_trinanjan

500+ Head-Fier
Folks,

I might have become somewhat of a broken record by preaching how ordinary the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 is.

Thankfully, I finally discovered what the T1 is capable of.

It's been a long journey but I have to admit: the T1 is an excellent headphone.

So what was wrong all this while?

Did somebody pay me a fat $ to endorse the Teslas? Hell no.

Have I suddenly started to dislike the AKG K-702? Negative.

Am I on a trip?

No again.

The point is that the Teslas are just as finicky as the K-702 and need the right set of conditions to show what they stand for.

These conditions are:

1.High gain. I did not try this option much before. They need loads of brute power to come alive. My HeadRoom Ultra Micro @ High Gain breathes life into the T1. The higher gain helps to clean up the sloppy bass which I had talked about.

2.Good seal between the ear and the ear-cups and optimal adjustment of the headband. This seems to make a LOT of difference to the T1. No spectacles with this headphone please. The snug fit brings the midrange closer and helps the bass to grip. Imaging improves too. Fit is just as important as amplification.

So, do the T1 blow the K-702 away? No.

But they can do things that the K-702 cannot. And vice versa.

The K-702 has been one of my favorites and remains so for a number of reasons.

And the T1s do not scale strength for strength.

In my book, the K-702 still has better timing and bass control. Very accurate pitch and goes low, low and low with absolute control and no hint of smearing.

In fact the K-702 is outstanding with ONE SEMINAL flaw. I have always said that it has a weird transition from the upper midrange to the lower treble with certain recordings.

Violins are produced with an emphasis on string sound and less wood. B-flat clarinets seem to lose some of their fullness. Rapidly bowed violin can take on a screechy character with some recordings and this is where the K-702s begin to fall short.

Otherwise, they are state of the art.

What does the T1 bring to the table that the K-702 cannot?

It removes that upper midrange weirdness and has a fuller midrange (only if driven properly).

It can also be listened to at higher volumes with very low ear fatigue and never ever sounds screechy or harsh.

Both headphones have the same resolution.

But you simply hear more low level detail on the T1 as you can play it louder with lesser fatigue.

The T1 also has a vividness that the K-702 cannot match.

However, the mid lushness of the T1 is not ideal either and I have heard speakers with more lit up  midrange.

But it is not all aces for the Tesla.

It sacrifices some of the electrostat like speed of the K-702; some of its bass grip.

With the K-702 you can virtually measure how long each note of a piano lasts.... not so with the T1.

But the T1 has a very nice sense of bloom in the midrange which makes it a pleasure to listen to.

Also, I still hear some disturbing smearing in the T1's bass. Bowed bass has an emphasized plumminess that detracts from absolute neutrality.

But, proper fit and proper amplification has finally allowed me to overlook this flaw just in the same way that I overlook the K-702's edginess with certain solo violin pieces.

The Teslas have finally arrived. I am not letting them go!
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 26
Glad you've found a better pairing. Please note that the Headroom Ultra Micro (while a very good amp at it's price point) is still not ideal (although I have to say I did prefer the Micro Amp to the Burson with the T1s). I would suggest you try the T1s with a good tube amp. For $1000ish or slightly under, the Woo6, Woo2 and MAD Ear+HD (and MAD Ear+SuperII) are all great amps that would bring your T1s to yet another level.

That is one of the great things (and curse I guess) of the T1s they really show you what you have upstream in your system and let you hear it.

Beyond the wider Left to Right Sound Stage of the K701s, I find the T1s are better at everything else. As well, headphones that are more "bass light" can give the impression of tighter bass. But listening to the LCD-2s (with powerful and taught bass), it is possible to have realistic sounding bass and control. I find that the K701's bass is quite good, but do not impart the bass impact on many of my recordings as was intended by the artist. Part of the K70x colouration.

The T1's do a much better job of it (and are only bested by the LCD-2s in that regard...note: I have not heard the HE-6s yet).

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 26
Were you using the Burson HA-160 listed in you signature before you switched over to the Ultra Micro?

I am using the Burson right now and I am considering upgrading to a higher end model (HD800, T1, maybe even Audeze LCD-2??) but not sure if it will drive them properly

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
Were you using the Burson HA-160 listed in you signature before you switched over to the Ultra Micro?

I am using the Burson right now and I am considering upgrading to a higher end model (HD800, T1, maybe even Audeze LCD-2??) but not sure if it will drive them properly

I found the Burson HA-160 to have very poor synergy with the T1. The Burson does a nice job with the K-702 but does not gel with the T1 at all. Out of the Burson, the T1 sounds veiled and slow with a huge upper mid dip. Do not get the T1 with the Burson. I agree with Macedonian that the Burson and T1 are not made for each other.

The T1 comes alive out of my Ultra Micro @ High Gain.

Quote:
Man, I'm glad you rediscovered your Teslas...It was sad not to get some satisfaction out of them.

Give them a run on your Phonitor! 
wink.gif
Quote:

Glad you've found a better pairing. Please note that the Headroom Ultra Micro (while a very good amp at it's price point) is still not ideal (although I have to say I did prefer the Micro Amp to the Burson with the T1s). I would suggest you try the T1s with a good tube amp. For $1000ish or slightly under, the Woo6, Woo2 and MAD Ear+HD (and MAD Ear+SuperII) are all great amps that would bring your T1s to yet another level.

That is one of the great things (and curse I guess) of the T1s they really show you what you have upstream in your system and let you hear it.

Beyond the wider Left to Right Sound Stage of the K701s, I find the T1s are better at everything else. As well, headphones that are more "bass light" can give the impression of tighter bass. But listening to the LCD-2s (with powerful and taught bass), it is possible to have realistic sounding bass and control. I find that the K701's bass is quite good, but do not impart the bass impact on many of my recordings as was intended by the artist. Part of the K70x colouration.

The T1's do a much better job of it (and are only bested by the LCD-2s in that regard...note: I have not heard the HE-6s yet).

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 26

Quote:

While the T1s and Burson HA-160 are both great in their own right; together, no so much (or at all). Amazing how two really good pieces of equipment match together so poorly (IMO of course).

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
Quote:

While the T1s and Burson HA-160 are both great in their own right; together, no so much (or at all). Amazing how two really good pieces of equipment match together so poorly (IMO of course).

Right… I do not hear any problems with the HA-160 driving the K-702 but they just fall apart as soon as the T1 is plugged in. Absolute lack of synergy!

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 26
I agree with the K70X,  I originally paired the Burson with a K702 recabled with Black Dragon and it had amazing synergy! Absolutely amazing sound

I believe the T1 is 600 ohm which is alot harder to drive for a solid state amp like the HA-160 so I am suprised it doesn't sound as good

I would curious to see how it drives a HD-800

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
Quote:

I would curious to see how it drives a HD-800

I have used the HA-160 with sennheisers and they are meant for each other! 

Just wondering if any of you guys have tried the HA-160d hooked up with the T1's? 

You might want to re-read this thread. I, and a the OP have had poor experiences with this combination. I like the Burson with the HD600 and K701s very much when I heard it. But when I plugged in the T1s, I likely never would have bought them (and they're one of my very favourite headphones of all time).

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
You might want to re-read this thread. I, and a the OP have had poor experiences with this combination. I like the Burson with the HD600 and K701s very much when I heard it. But when I plugged in the T1s, I likely never would have bought them (and they're one of my very favourite headphones of all time).

I wanted to know about their new version, do you own it...the160D? 
I want some advice with the T1's, cause im upgrading my gear soon. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
Quote:

I wanted to know about their new version, do you own it...the160D? 
I want some advice with the T1's, cause im upgrading my gear soon. 

Do you own the T1s now?

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
Do you own the T1s now?

Well, i have a list of high end headphones for this month...and yes T1's is a choice. (to buy)

I would strongly recommend a good quality tube amp with the 600 ohm T1s. Being high impedance cans, they really need a tube amp that can supply them large voltage swings (which tube amps can generally do better than SS amps). For every good SS amp pairing with the T1s that I've heard, I keep coming back to tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back