I did it - turned off signatures today...
May 24, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #46 of 69
I keep mine...
tongue.gif

May 24, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys need to get bigger monitors...at 1920x1200 soon to be 2560x1600 the amount of space head-fi takes on my screen is paltry...

I have a 19" lcd, how big do I need a lcd to be when I'm literally two feet away from it? Clutter be gone!

May 24, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #48 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reminds me of a field trip I took to an industrial dry cleaning service. Their largest clients were hospitals. There were clean white sheets everywhere. Flippin' the switch on the sigs reminds me of that place.

Totally unrelated, one of the things I'd like to see before I die is Selma Hayek hanging my whites on a cloths line in my back yard. She should have on a white cotton dress. The wind should be blowing.

Very nice!!
evil_smiley.gif
(done in the best Borat impression i can muster)

May 24, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #49 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 19" lcd, how big do I need a lcd to be when I'm literally two feet away from it? Clutter be gone!

I've got a 1440x900 15" widescreen on my Macbook Pro, and I don't think that the page gets too cluttered.. maybe I'm just used to it though.

May 24, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #50 of 69
Quote:

Heh, it's a unique gadget whore solution to recommend a larger monitor because someone chose to remove signatures.
icon10.gif

There is a deep question underneath all this. Every head-fi'er should take stock once a year and ask themselves, "do I suffer from signature creep?".

You know who you are...
gs1000.gif

May 24, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #51 of 69
if you turn off signatures, you won't know what gear is being used. so if somebody says that "all amps sound the same" you can't really bash them unless you see in their sig "Apple iBud".

May 24, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a deep question underneath all this. Every head-fi'er should take stock once a year and ask themselves, "do I suffer from signature creep?".

You know who you are...
gs1000.gif

Since I am the only one on headfi that loves the GS-1000 I assume you're talking to me ha ha.

I used to just have "system" in my signature along with 2 links for feedback. But I kept getting people that asked me what I have and I realized no one checked my system. Since I put my signature on people point out things about what I have and what I should get, etc. I like it.

I will keep my creep in check though. In fact, I'd like to minimize my signature (system) even more.

May 24, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #55 of 69
much better. i took off avatars also.

Im only interested in new stuff mostly and people will almost always talk in comparison to what they already have in the body.

May 24, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Since I am the only one on headfi that loves the GS-1000 I assume you're talking to me ha ha.

Not in the slightest my friend! It was purely coincidental. Trust me.

Oh and one of my favorites headphones is the SA5K. So trust me, I know how that feels.

May 24, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

Not in the slightest my friend! It was purely coincidental. Trust me.

Oh and one of my favorites headphones is the SA5K. So trust me, I know how that feels.

icon10.gif

May 25, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #58 of 69
Quote:

Ahhhh....that is so much better. Erased mine as well.

I'm sorry, but some head-fi'ers need to master the fine art of moderation.
icon10.gif

Try it. It's amazing how the conversation comes to life and flows without the personal mantras wedged in between.

Great suggestions, many thanks. It's really much better now. The option has always been there but somehow not apparent until it has been brought to attention here.

Following the good example, I deleted mine as well. In the last 2 years, I've only used the signature occassionally to advertise personal sales using small font sizes but I think that it's annoying if people aren't interested in the sale.

And just some random, subjective rant even if it's in the past by now:
- Jokes are rendered un-funny if repeated many times in signatures
- If you want to list your rig, please do so in your profile or at least make it unobstrusive
- Teams are not funny, don't make you elitist, give you free vouchers or make you cool. Ok, sometimes it's funny, but seldomly so
- It's so obvious if certain signatures are trying really hard to be unique, funny, or special that it hurts
- Some signatures are really good but it's the clear minority
In my honest opinion, most signatures are just pure and utter noise. Turning off that noise was a good idea.

Edit: Like your Rothko avatar.
wink.gif

May 25, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #59 of 69
Quote:

24 inches

Users who are viewing this thread

Back