I cant decide which sound card is the best
Jan 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tsine

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of AKG K701 . I use them with an asus dgx sound card at highest possible 64 Ohm amp. The sound on stereo is we can say good(not so much) but not very loud even at 100% volume . 

In the other hand when  enable surround sound Dolby headphone (with all the setting on 7.1 virtual from widnows and the sound card ) i do get surround but the positions of the sounds are messed up in bf4 . I cannot understand where the sound comes from .

All that said i decided to upgrade my sound card . I came through a lot of post in many forum trying to figure out which card combines good surround sound / position audio and good music playback . 

I was thinking about Sound Blaster Zx but many people have drivers issues and surround sound issues and in some cases noise when the computer is under load.

What are your suggestions ?

Thanks for the help

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 4
Just buy  a an asus  stx....  From all my dj/studio gear , if it where dj-mixers from denon Stanton Mackie or soundcards from rme or mute or the cheap focus-rite vrm....nothing came close to the old asus and it's just a nice buy for your wallet and tweaks enough... And headphones I've had enough  either, but for the money and soundquality and ease of use, I   wouldn't go spend 100's of dollars/euro's for a dedicated headphone
dac. And don't take a usb device....they just don't have the power... I don't come here often, but I don't understand why people use krk's and more ****ty monitors for a desktop....     audio-engine ain't ****ty offcourse, but those ar just studio-monitors with a dsp-chip.

Nice looking headphones , but why do you but studio headphones for playing games.  The 64 ohm is no prob for a stx and the virtual surround worked with very wel with sennheiser 598, only those are ****ty build, like almost every headphone from sennheiser.....plastic junk...

Looking at the European price of your akg 701 200euro's and the model goes out of production and the asuscard  140euro....nice balanced...

gr.richard

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 4
  I recently bought a pair of AKG K701 . I use them with an Asus DGX sound card at highest possible 64 Ohm amp. The sound on stereo is we can say good(not so much) but not very loud even at 100% volume . 
In the other hand when enable surround sound Dolby headphone (with all the setting on 7.1 virtual from windows and the sound card ) I do get surround but the positions of the sounds are messed up in bf4. I cannot understand where the sound comes from.
All that said i decided to upgrade my sound card. I came through a lot of post in many forum trying to figure out which card combines good surround sound / position audio and good music playback . 
I was thinking about Sound Blaster Zx but many people have drivers issues and surround sound issues and in some cases noise when the computer is under load.
What are your suggestions ?

You did disable the motherboard on-board audio? in the BIOS.
Try installing the Unified Xonar drivers (remove Asus drivers before installing new drivers).
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

I've been using the Sound Blaster Z on my Win 8.1 PC, so far it's has worked fine.
I would say to save some cash and just get the Z (not the Zx), I've heard the ACM module has a slight negative effect on the sound quality.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the reply.

Yes i thought that the AKG K701 somedays before was a very good pair of headphones ...so it would be good to have one pair  .....I also have a pair of ATH M50 but its not very good in surround audio . 

I think that AKG K701 its very soft and easy to listen too . Also i read the mad lust review of gaming headphones and he said that the possition audio in the AKG K701 is very good . So i gave them a try . The sound is very good if i can compare it to what i have heard so far . 

The problem is that the surround sound of asus cards is not optimal in some cases . Ok .

I also have a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI 5.1 usb for laptop use .The surround sound is more than good(CMSS-3D) but no headphone amp (it cannot drive K701 or even ATH-M50). If i connect this card and use an external headphone amp like Pro-Ject Head Box II its better than getting a new sound card ?

A new sound card cost about 100euro and the Pro-Ject Head Box II about the same price 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back