I broke my Shure SRH840's :'(
Aug 18, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #31 of 46

Quote:
Hey guys, just a quick update.

Sent the Shure SRH840's off to Shure Distribution (I broke them, by accidentally stepping on them), and they sent me a brand new pair, boxed, with all accessories. So I now have 3 sets of ear pads, 2 coiled cables and 2 carry bags.

YAY FOR SHURE!

Lmao same experience here.

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #32 of 46
JB Weld is your friend, friend.

(mine recently broke too, cause I sat on them) .. and, I'm going to repair them with JB Weld ... way stronger than super glue but takes a bit more care to work with.

Here's what it looks like: 

It's like an epoxy in that you have to mix equal parts of each tube and then apply the mix to the parts needing to be adhered ... it is *VERY* strong after it sets ... takes about 10 to 20 hours to set (just set it with some sort of clamp and come back later) ...

Excellent way to bind plastics, metal or headphones made of either ...

Good luck .

.j

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #33 of 46

Quote:
JB Weld is your friend, friend.

(mine recently broke too, cause I sat on them) .. and, I'm going to repair them with JB Weld ... way stronger than super glue but takes a bit more care to work with.

Here's what it looks like: 

It's like an epoxy in that you have to mix equal parts of each tube and then apply the mix to the parts needing to be adhered ... it is *VERY* strong after it sets ... takes about 10 to 20 hours to set (just set it with some sort of clamp and come back later) ...

Excellent way to bind plastics, metal or headphones made of either ...

Good luck .

.j

Yo, check my last post, Shure replaced them under the warranty..Maybe you should do the same if you are still under warranty cover.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #34 of 46
The same happen to my set. The plastic of the headband just snapped off :frowning2: More then two years old so prob. no warranty. On Shure webpage do they have a repair price list that state a 70$ flat repair rate - any damage repair, for the SRH840. Anyone know if any repair also include mechanical damage like this? It's pity that they to not have these as a spare parts, not hard to change a lot harder to fix. From reading threads does it seems that all broken SRH840 break at the same spot.

May 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #36 of 46
I had my Shures break identically to the OP's picture. I managed to make a decent fix with duct tape by forcing it tight with pieces of tape on the inside.

But if the warranty works as well as suggested, I might as well send the thing back. I was really just rather unlucky with the way it broke. I was asleep and had apparently turned on my side with the phones on, hah. The structure didn't like the weight of my head on them.

May 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:
I had my Shures break identically to the OP's picture. I managed to make a decent fix with duct tape by forcing it tight with pieces of tape on the inside.

But if the warranty works as well as suggested, I might as well send the thing back. I was really just rather unlucky with the way it broke. I was asleep and had apparently turned on my side with the phones on, hah. The structure didn't like the weight of my head on them.

You should definitely send them back..they have great customer service..******** them a bit as well.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #38 of 46
A long overdue update from post #35. I promised to post images of my successful repair. Have been using them almost daily since a fixed them without them showing any weakens what so ever.

Summary

Broke mine same place as most people have done it (check thread starter for images of a broken set).

You need

1. Soldering gun
  2. Thin fiberglass cloth
  3. Epoxy (No not epoxy glue that is something else). I used Epoxy from West System.

What you need to fix it including wine and Cognac.

Thin glass fiber cloth.

Veld them together. I added some extra plastic (the white stuff) from an coat hanger.

Sand down everywhere we are adding epoxy and glass fiber to.

Make sure this still fit.

Optional: I made this to avoid the glass fiber cloth from sagging. Make sure you add Vaseline or similar grease to avoid that the epoxy stick to it.

Apply epoxy then apply cloth.Careful not to use too much epoxy.

Now wait for the epoxy to do it's work. If you wait till it is fully harden you have to sand it down again to apply round two but if you wait just until it is workable are you able to apply round two without any additional sanding.

Around here to make sure it is strong.

Final round with epoxy is done. You can keep it like this, I personally sanded it down to remove additional epoxy. If you want to apply spray paint etc. make sure you sand it down first.

That's it. Notice the two small Phillips still fit but you need a drill to make holes through the epoxy.

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #39 of 46
Not to thread necro, but I just wanted to thank steinmb for the write up and pics. I'm thinking about buying a cheap set of damaged shure 840s and giving this repair a try.

Quote:
A long overdue update from post #35. I promised to post images of my successful repair. Have been using them almost daily since a fixed them without them showing any weakens what so ever.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #40 of 46
For posterity: Shure's parts department is lame.

I tried to order a replacement part for the my 840's (crappy plastic that connects right ear phone to the head band and that breaks for everyone) and got no love from Shure's parts department. They insisted that I send the headphones in for out of warranty replacement ($79, excluding shipping). I told them that I could do the repair myself in 15 minutes and I just wanted to buy the part. They flatly stated that sending the part is against policy.

What a contrast to Audio Technica's parts department, which sent me a free replacement arm for my m50s. Never going to buy any Shure products ever again. Hmm, designed to break, and user-irreparable? Starting to sound like Beats.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #41 of 46
I have noticed that spare parts do not exist out in the wild so I guessed that was due to policy issues. Not much to do, either so send your set in to get it fixed, if your set also is squeaking they might also fix that also, or you fix it your self. My guess though, is that you use a bit more then 15 minutes :wink:

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #42 of 46
Quote:
For posterity: Shure's parts department is lame.

I tried to order a replacement part for the my 840's (crappy plastic that connects right ear phone to the head band and that breaks for everyone) and got no love from Shure's parts department. They insisted that I send the headphones in for out of warranty replacement ($79, excluding shipping). I told them that I could do the repair myself in 15 minutes and I just wanted to buy the part. They flatly stated that sending the part is against policy.

What a contrast to Audio Technica's parts department, which sent me a free replacement arm for my m50s. Never going to buy any Shure products ever again. Hmm, designed to break, and user-irreparable? Starting to sound like Beats.

Well, that's why you buy headphones that is covered by the warranty! Anyways, the same thing happened to me. I broke the filters on my SE535, which cost less than $10 from mouser, contacting shure about that(their website has it that they do have service parts) and they said they will replace the whole earpiece for $79. What? Anyways, if you are under warranty, shure respects the warranty though.(They fixed my SRH940!)

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #43 of 46
@steinmb
ooh, nice to see a response from you. I've been reading your guide very carefully the last few days. I bought some abs cement from my local hardware store and am going to try that first before tackling the more complex-looking epoxy and fiberglass procedure in your write up. thanks again for the detailed instructions. =)

@kimvictor
I hear you on buying warrantied products, but IMO a good set of headphones should last a lot longer than the term of shure's warranty in the US (two years), or at least have robust parts support so that consumers at least have the option to fix minor issues themselves as their headphones [gracefully] age. Doubly so for problematic cans like the 840s.

Also, from a business standpoint, i think shure's policy is short sighted. In the counter example I gave above, the $3 in parts and postage audio technica spent on me built much more loyalty than tens of thousands in advertising. By cheaping out on parts, Shure basically lost a customer for life. Seems nonsensical to me.

Quote:
I have noticed that spare parts do not exist out in the wild so I guessed that was due to policy issues. Not much to do, either so send your set in to get it fixed, if your set also is squeaking they might also fix that also, or you fix it your self. My guess though, is that you use a bit more then 15 minutes :wink:

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #44 of 46
Yep. On February 9, 2017 I got the same response from the Shure parts department. While on the phone I asked if they had redesigned this piece and they said no. The crappy plastic parts are still made the same as when the product first came out.

I tried using Gorilla glue to repair the split hinge piece and that worked out fine, but I found it impossible to clamp the longer slider piece while the glue set. Putting pressure on the end of this slider piece resulted in another break on the far end.

Like others here, I hate throwing such a good set of headphones in the dumpster but the headband is crap. I already replaced the entire headband once and it broke easily too, so I told the Shure guy I'm done with them if they won't provide parts other than the entire headband assembly.  It's just too expensive to maintain the Shure product.

Mine are out of warranty. A few weeks ago I saw a post somewhere where someone was going to try the headband from another brand.... he said they appeared to be identical. I'm going to look for that post and see if he was successful.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #45 of 46
Consider 3D printing a new hinge. The repair I did back in 2012 (see details in this thread) worked very well but I manged to break it (drop test) again a few weeks ago. If I manage to do a 3D scan and stl files I will post/link to them here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back