I broke my headphones and it might be a good time for an upgrade, but I don't know what to get. Suggestions?
Sep 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TerabyteST

New Head-Fier
[size=small] Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have had a quick look around and I think this might be the right section where I can post this thread. I apologize in advance if it's not. Here's my story:[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I broke the jack of my Sennheiser HD 408, a pair of headphones which I always used at home on my PC.
I think it might be the right time to upgrade, so I since I don't know much about headphones myself, I figured I'd ask here for directions.
[/size]

[size=small] What I like about my former headphones is that they don't insulate too much (are they called open?), because I don't like to be inside a soap bubble, although I enjoy a bit of sound dampening. I'd like to get something that has good audio quality, and I have a maximum budget of 150 € (~200 USD) in mind, but I think I probably won't need to spend so much if there's a pair of headphones that fits my (few) needs.[/size]

[size=small] I mainly listen to music, play games and watch videos. I don't produce music or work with audio or anything like that, although sometimes I find myself fiddling around with that kind of stuff.
I enjoy listening to music with a decent bitrate and I've got a few tracks on my PC, although since my playlist has got a bit stale lately I have started listening to music on YouTube instead. I'd like something that sounds good with electronic music and similar genres, although I span around quite a bit in terms of my musical tastes and I don't know much about genres either. If you want to get an idea for yourself, here's a playlist I've made on YouTube with some of the music I like. I also really like to be able to hear the bass and all the other tones in the music clearly. Lately I've been forced to use my iPhone's earphones and apart from the generally bad sound quality I also dislike the almost complete absence of bass.
[/size]

[size=small] I'm sorry if my requirements sound vague. Hopefully I've listed all you need to give me some suggestions. In case I have missed something, please ask further questions and I'll be glad to answer them![/size]

[size=small] Thanks for your time.[/size]

[size=small] P.S.: I have had a quick look at the headphone buying guide but, given that I basically don't know what I want, I'm too afraid of paying much for something that might not cater to my needs, so I'd prefer to have someone hear my situation and give me direct advice. Thanks.[/size]

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Ordered the Samson SR850s a few nights ago. They should come in a week or two from now and I will let you know how they do as far as gaming is concerned. I love my Beyer DT 770 pro 80. They should definitely be on your list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back