I bought one...did you?
Jul 1, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #61 of 83
Fine with me...I can't sell them on here anyways, lol.

Sounds unreasonable, yes. But SERIOUSLY think about it, who else on here has bought an iPhone WITH THE SOLE PURPOSE OF UNLOCKING IT? I just got lucky with having a geeky friend who unlocks phones and other things for a living (he has no real job), and another who works at Apple corporate...things fell into place.

But most anything smells funny when there is high skeptisism, especially on the online community. But I digress...I'll just let everybody think what they want.

Jul 1, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #62 of 83
Thanks for sharing oicdn. I'm sure we're mostly just amazed it can be done and dead keen to see a pic of your unlocked phone. If you get a chance please reconsider and post a pic, for the doubters and for curious people like me that want to see something surprising.

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #63 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But most anything smells funny when there is high skeptisism, especially on the online community.

No. The skepticism comes when you say that all the features of the iPhone work unblocked. Since visual voicemail is handled by AT&T's servers, not the iPhone itself, some of us smell something fishy.

See ya
Steve

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #64 of 83
oicdn, that's pretty cool that you have unlocked iPhones. But to not back up a claim here on the forums seems a bit self-righteous. I'm not calling you out on this, and if you're comfortable where you stand then fine. But of course you know that on forums like these we tend share things (albeit reviews of the newest portable audio products, headphones, headphone amps, etc). Don't you see that this is a community of like-minded audio purists that love to share their opinions on the latest gadgets. You should know that better than I do having over 1,000 posts. If you don't have the means of providing proof that you do have unlocked phones working on the t-mobile network the least you could do is at least provide some information regarding unlocking phones instead of just blowing everybody off by just saying you can basically believe what you want to believe. So in the spirit of the forums, if anybody is interested I did some research on unlocking iPhones:

http://www.iphoneunlocking.com/
They claim to have unlocked 75% of iPhones they have tested. I'm not sure if I want to take the chance and have my iPhone end up being the 25% that didn't unlock.

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/06/w...-for-your.html
Indian dealer selling unlocked iPhones with prices on there too! Not sure if they're legit.

http://www.hotiphonenews.com/
Info on how to unlock iPhone without a contract on any carrier. It makes sense.

http://www.unlockiphone.info/
Scroll down to 3/4 of the page to see the youtube video of some guy taking out the SIM card on the iPhone. SIM cards are pre-installed on the iPhone and they don't tell you how to take it out. Apparently, according to the video, you can change it out with your SIM card on your existing service.

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #66 of 83
Guys.. removing the sim card is hardly a solution for unlocking an iPhone or any phone for that matter. The lock as far as a I know is software based..

I think oicdn is either confused with what visual voicemail is or that he's just plain lying. Why do I come to this reasoning? Well, as the guy who works at AT & T said, new servers and infastructure had to be set up for visual voicemail. But the case is still extremely intriguing..

Oh and as for http://www.hotiphonenews.com/ that explains how to unlock the iPhone for all its features that don't include the phone part. Basically, it doesn't allow it to be used on another network.

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #67 of 83
Think about this for the iPhone junkies
smily_headphones1.gif
1st generation is still back in pre '3g' standards so the fastest it will ever be able to go even with ATT dumping a ton of money into upgrading their infrastructure. They are working right now on getting it close to verizon's data standard which is near broadband supposedly. too bad verizon doesn't use SIM cards. Anyway that is why I am waiting until at least 2nd generation if not 3rd...

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #68 of 83
Regardless of this gaping hole in the iPhone's features, people just want one of the best phones out there. I mean, how many phones combine a huge freakin' screen with video and a true DAP along with 8gb of space and a UI that makes others' feel like you're trying to draw a masterpiece with an Etch A Sketch..?

So yeah, it's a trade off and I do hate the hypocrisy of Apple's marketing of the iPhone as a breakthrough internet device when they have omitted a 3G radio to make web surfing out of WiFi range a pain in the arse but the fact remains that it is still one sweet phone.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #69 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. The skepticism comes when you say that all the features of the iPhone work unblocked. Since visual voicemail is handled by AT&T's servers, not the iPhone itself, some of us smell something fishy.

See ya
Steve

But then he did say after the initial accusation that visual voicemail doesn't work. There's no way I can prove or disprove his claims so I give him the benefit of doubt. What I don't understand is why he won't take pictures using one iPhone of the others since unlocking them already requires the removal of the handset from the original (I'm guessing, sealed) packaging, making them not completely unopened, unopened, "BNIB". I wouldn't believe him if he claimed that the doctoring occurred during his "Apple exec" friend had the iPhones unless the unlocking can be done without touching the iPhone (highly unlikely).

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #71 of 83
WiFi is getting to be increasingly available at restaurants, coffee shops, etc. At lunch today at Denny's I noticed the iPhone was picking up their free network, and was able to surf along with my burger and fries. I checked ToastNet and got over 800kb down. I don't know how fast the competing networks are, but can confirm that EDGE is dog-slow around here, dial-up slow. But, perhaps it will improve a bit, and since wireless internet is becoming so prevalent, the phone still makes sense to me.
It replaces a Treo I always hated, because of EDGE and its poor user interface. The iPHone is a dream to use, relatively speaking.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #72 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then he did say after the initial accusation that visual voicemail doesn't work.

Where did he say that?

I saw two posts where he said it worked.

See ya
Steve

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #73 of 83
I got me the iPhone fever!

667731020_ab4bd4c82a.jpg

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #74 of 83
I'm posting this over Edge while traveling as a passenger in a car. I've enjoyed surprisingly excellent speeds thus far and I really have no complaints at all about Edge. I also enjoy typing on the keypad and find myself getting faster and faster on it every day. I do wish they had the period on the front page though. All in all, this isn't just the finest phone I've ever used, it is in all likelyhood the finest piece of consumer electronics I've ever experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back