I am looking for headphones for £30 $40- £50 good/excellent Sound quality?
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 29
What prices would audiophile headphones start from?

Also what technical specifications should I look for on deciding my headphones.

Audiophile just means someone who is enthusiastic about high fidelity audio reproduction. The Koss is an audiophile headphone. It's just not as good as some more expensive models, which should be expected. You don't need to spend a lot to get great sound.

Depends how concerned you are with things like that. You can check out measurements, but you'd need to know how to interpret them, so if you're a beginner, you shouldn't worry about it. If you decide to learn about measurements in the future, you can start by looking for a neutral frequency response (that follows a compensation curve that is close to neutral for human ears with headphones; examples including the diffuse field curve and Harman curve), low distortion, and rapid impulse response (which relates to transient speed).

https://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements
https://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements-explained

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #17 of 29
Audiophile just means someone who is enthusiastic about high fidelity audio reproduction. The Koss is an audiophile headphone. It's just not as good as some more expensive models, which should be expected. You don't need to spend a lot to get great sound.

Depends how concerned you are with things like that. You can check out measurements, but you'd need to know how to interpret them, so if you're a beginner, you shouldn't worry about it. If you decide to learn about measurements in the future, you can start by looking for a neutral frequency response (that follows a compensation curve that is close to neutral for human ears with headphones; examples including the diffuse field curve and Harman curve), low distortion, and rapid impulse response (which relates to transient speed).

https://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements
https://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements-explained

I looked and the Koss don't have any drivers dose that matter or would headphone with drivers be better ?

So if I went for over ear headphones with drivers and spent up £50 what could I get ?

I have looked at on ear headphone but I am used to my over the ear headphones, .

I will be going make a purchase by saturday either online or in store .

Yours

Farhan

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #18 of 29
I looked and the Koss don't have any drivers dose that matter or would headphone with drivers be better ?

Eh?! All headphones have drivers (aka diaphragms); otherwise they would make no sound.

The KTXPRO1 has titanium-layered diaphragms. I believe they are made of neodymium, iron, and boron.

Here's the official page. (Ignore the $30 listed price; it's available for $10 to $20.)

https://www.koss.com/headphones/on-ear-headphones/ktxpro1

Koss make many other headphones, but the only one (by them) I like more than the KTXPRO1 is the ESP950, which has an MSRP of $1,000.

Edit: I forgot to mention: If you want a great value open-back over-ear audiophile headphone, the Philips SHP9500 would be a good choice. (But it pushes the limits of your budget. You may have to get a used one.) Personally I still prefer the Koss, but the Philips will give you more of a "proper" introduction to the audiophile headphone experience.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #19 of 29
Another 'audiophile' lightweight with high quality 30mm drivers is the Jays v-Jays

No longer made (why?!?) they can still be ordered directly from Jays outlet site for approx £20 delivered from Sweden with 2 year warranty

https://www.jaysheadphones.com/products/v-jays-clearance/

Ive just bought a second pair as they are one of my favourites regardless of price. Slight V shaped but very precise and detailed they are incredibly light, comfortable and, I think, very stylish and functional in a Scandi way. They don't leak much for an open backed design and have suprising bass for such a tiny phone.

I prefer them to the PortaPro or even lower end Grados but haven't as yet had the pleasure of the KTX Pro. You certainly dont need deep pockets for great listening pleasure.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #20 of 29
Edit

Also don't judge a headphone by its size

You don't necessarily need your head crushed, ears cooked or neck muscles strained to enjoy great sound. An old fashioned lightweight on ear will get you within 80% of headphone utopia

Get 2 pairs of v-Jays!!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #21 of 29
Hello on choosing type of headphones I have decided that I don't like in-ear or on-ear however I would probably go for over the ear as the look more comfortable.

Just by looking your ear seams enclosed . I have tried in the past on the ear headphones(came with a Walkman ) but the foam sometimes gets holes or slipping off (positioning) . At least with Over the ear there is less chance of slipping off (positioning your ear has to go in the hole).

I would probably go for 40mm drivers or higher (unless difference between 30-40mm drivers is small) and have some volume control .

But I would still like good sound quality.

My limit would be £50 maximum .

Yours

Farhan

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #22 of 29
whatever!?!

my work here is done

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #23 of 29
On the topic of the comfort of on-ear headphones... Some on-ears are painfully uncomfortable. This is not the case with the Koss KTXPRO1 and Porta Pro. (Which I personally don't like even half as much, but I still own it because it's possibly the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn.) However, it ultimately depends on the size and shape of your ears, head, etc.

But if you must have over-ear, the M30x that was mentioned could be within your budget. (And definitely is if you buy it used.) It's a bit more lean and bright than the M40x, while the M50x is warmer and darker. The thing is, in my opinion, its sound and comfort aren't nearly as good as the KTXPRO1.

There's also the Koss UR40. I like the KTXPRO1 more than the UR40, but conversely, I like the UR40 more than the (discontinued) UR55. The UR40 is technically over-ear, but the fit is shallow, so your ears press up against the inside. Not exactly comfortable for me.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #24 of 29
Hello I am thinking of getting the M30x however I have seen audio technica Ath-ax3is and was wondering which out of the 2 is better? Interim of sound quality ?

Or has the better specifications

Technical specification on ATH-AX3is

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/08a5ba2212824793/index.html

I will take one or the other headphones .
These are the 2 that have made my final shortlist .

Yours

Farhan

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #26 of 29
Hello Today Amazon delivered my new headphones . I got Audio Technica M30X .

I put on my last Fozzy CD(Chris Jericho lead singer ) the metal sounded good, then I put on DAB and went from station to station see if they had stereo or mono sound . The stereo sound was amazing . When I was on classic FM(but on DAB ) it was Fidelio by Ludwig van Beethoven it sounded amazing .

I did alternate between my old headphones and my new ones, I had put the volume at around 11-13 to get good sound, now I put it at around 10 or a bit less.
The sound difference my old advent PC type with microphone headset and the Audio Technica M30X is like a Yugo and Mercedes S class no comparison.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice on the fourn!

Thank you !

Yours

Farhan

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #27 of 29
Hello Today Amazon delivered my new headphones . I got Audio Technica M30X .

I put on my last Fozzy CD(Chris Jericho lead singer ) the metal sounded good, then I put on DAB and went from station to station see if they had stereo or mono sound . The stereo sound was amazing . When I was on classic FM(but on DAB ) it was Fidelio by Ludwig van Beethoven it sounded amazing .

I did alternate between my old headphones and my new ones, I had put the volume at around 11-13 to get good sound, now I put it at around 10 or a bit less.
The sound difference my old advent PC type with microphone headset and the Audio Technica M30X is like a Yugo and Mercedes S class no comparison.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice on the fourn!

Thank you !

Yours

Farhan

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #28 of 29
Enjoy

One of the (increasingly few)great things about living in the UK is the excellent quality radio programmes

A much underappreciated medium by those less fortunate than ourselves, I listen to plenty of FM and DAB myself.

The original and best streaming service whatever the equipment !?!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #29 of 29
Other great headphones in this category that I own or have owned include

beyerdynamic DT231/235, Musical Fidelity MF100 & 200 (originally £100 and £200 plus but given away since their demise), Jays c-Jays (again direct from Jays). b&0 Form 2,, Grado iGrado, Sony MDR570. Griffin Woodtones

Jays v-Jays and the Musical Fidelity phones are my favourites from this mixed bunch.

There are also Sennheiser PX100, beyerdynamic DTX 350/501/910, KOSS DJ100 and the fun looking new UR23

A lot of these headphones are no longer made especially the unfashionable but very capable and ultra comfortable lightweight on ears but can all be still found under £50

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back