I am looking for a headphone that is better than M50 for around 100 dollar .
Jan 25, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 6
There are a lot of headphones under $100 better than the M50, but most people just ignore them. Unfortunately many of them do need amps.

The first headphone I had after my M50 that I preferred in nearly every way was the AKG K240 Studio. I paid only $70 for an open box and I love it. It's much more balanced and still has a decent amount of bass. It's even good for gaming and is very comfortable. It needs an amp to sound it's best. It sounds OK straight out of my Ipod Touch, but it's not suggested. The price of it new is about $100.

For a less balanced headphone, there is the Koss Pro DJ 100. It's $80 and is probably one of my favorites headphones i've heard and I've probably tried several dozen at this point. It has more forward mids than the M50, better detail, imaging and soundstage. I think it really needs an amp, but some may not agree. It's one step under being bass heavy. I still find it's signature quite well balanced. It's probably the most fun headphone i've owned. M50 has more treble (the white boxed version that is) but I prefer the non-fatiguing sound of the DJ100. Main reason I like the DJ100 is it's slightly forward mids and the vocal quality. I even prefer this to the HD-555, SRH-840, HFI-680 and ESW9.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 6
I am looking at 750 Dj and 840 shure ones. AKG is my favorite brand actually . I thought about 701 but then I need to bring headphone on my iphone for commute. 240 looks very good. I am gonna look into it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back