I am going nuts, I received Audez'e LCD-2 yesterday, cracked today
Mar 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #136 of 188
Hey all!

I just wanted to bop-in and give an update on the pair I had which had cracked at the cable junction....

First, and foremost, the guys at Audeze were great to work with.  They are responsive and proud of their product and want their customers to feel the same.

Here's the RMA process with the durations:
1. mailed support@audeze.com about the problem with some specific questions about replacing just the wood (I love the drivers and didn't want to change them), and turn-around time. 
2. 36 hours later got an e-mail with answers.  If possible they would replace just the wood.  Obviously, if there were other problems they might have to switch out more, but they were okay to fix just the wood rings.  Turn around quoted was a week.  The e-mail contained my RMA number and a form to fill out and send in with the headphones (and also mail to them on-line so they have a copy)
3. I filled out the form with the pdf, mailed it in, and sent my phones in 2-day air.
4. ***they had them fixed and back on their way in 3-days!***  AND also 2-day air (Fed-ex)
5. Got them back fixed, shined, and beautiful.  They must have put some polish on the pads and wood.

Very pleased with Audeze.  Just thought I'd share.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #138 of 188
I would hazard a guess that it won't have a noticeable impact upon sound, but will be purely an aesthetic change. It will affect resale value to some extent; it's ultimately up to you as to whether or not it's worth it to you to swap it out to preserve this value (and to preserve the aesthetics, if that's a consideration for you).

Quote:
Mine are cracked on both sides as well, and I'm not sure if I need to do something about it. Will it eventually affect the sound, or just the resale value?
undefined

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #139 of 188

Quote:
I would hazard a guess that it won't have a noticeable impact upon sound, but will be purely an aesthetic change. It will affect resale value to some extent; it's ultimately up to you as to whether or not it's worth it to you to swap it out to preserve this value (and to preserve the aesthetics, if that's a consideration for you).

Thanks for the answer! You pretty much have to be closer than a feet to actually see the cracks, so I'm not exactly dying to ship them over the Atlantic to get them fixed. Maybe I'll work some glue/synthetic wood magic on them if I ever feel like I need to. =)

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #140 of 188
If you don't want to send them in you should glue them sooner than later as the cracks could easily get worse.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #141 of 188
If you don't want to send them in you should glue them sooner than later as the cracks could easily get worse.

And as I posted a while ago Weldbond worked wonders for me and you would never know there had been a crack. I can understand why folks would want to send them back, especially if your in the States but if like me your not this is a very good solution!

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #142 of 188
Update.

My LCD-2s came in from repair, They did not have the new connectors on them, but no cracked wood.

I set them aside for a week and when I came back the wood was cracked on the right cup. What? In the mean time I had called and asked about the updated cups with the connectors. I'm super disappointed I've had ZERO response, they never answer their phones. I feel a) lied to (because I was told they were sending me the updated cups) b) completely ignored. Worst customer service ever from a company that charges $900+ for a set of headphones.

Now I'm well past the return policy from the retailer. I called again on Friday and a lady there said she would send me new RMA documentation to get my headphones returned and repair. At this point They've had them longer than I have...

These sound GREAT, I'm floored with the SQ. I'm super disappointed with the headphone build quality and customer service. I wouldn't buy again...

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #143 of 188
Although everyone seems to worship at the Audeze altar on Head-Fi, I have been pretty disappointed with the poor reliability of my LCD-2s and with lousy customer service when trying to get repairs.  About a year ago, the left driver of my LCD-2 failed.  Audeze was worse than Singlepower in its heyday in terms of response time and repair turnaround time.  Now, the right driver has failed.  Audeze has been faster in sending out an RMA this time, but I am pretty annoyed that a headphone I seldom use is in need of repair for a second time.

Now, I understand that most Audeze fan boys love these headphones and certainly do not want to write anything negative about them -- God knows, nobody wants to devalue their investment....better just to act like a tout -- but anyone considering plunking down $950 for the LCD-2 or $1700 for the LCD-3 should be aware that Audeze has a history of poor reliability. (Do a search on "LCD-2 reliability" and one of the first hits that comes up is a link to Audeze's own site, where they admit that the LCD-3 has had reliabilty problems -- this time blamed on a "supplier".  Maybe Audeze should provide buyers with some prepaid UPS return shipping labels so buyers can rest at ease.) 

I have owned JH16 IEMs for the last three years and they have been completely reliable.  Same goes for my JVC DX1000s and my Senn HD650s, both of which I have owned for 4+ years.  Next time I am in the market for headphones, I will be looking solely at Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser.  I don't care if they don't sound quite as good as the LCD-2s (which I actually think are overrated. I prefer my JH16s in every respect except for bass response.)  The fact that I never know when my LCD-2s will break again takes away from the enjoyment. 

In any case, buyer beware

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #144 of 188
Sell and move on. I think people who are worried about reliability issues should avoid boutique brands like Audeze and Hifiman in the meantime and stick with the big manufacturers until reliability issues are sorted out.

Though it is a step in the right direction with the bamboo and connectors.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #145 of 188
I must admit I have been one of the stalwart supporters of this brand and truly love the sound of my LCD2's but since getting the crack in the wood on mine I have become even more paranoid in handling them and though I am now a year into this replacement pair (I had one of the failed driver rev1's which was replaced by the tighter tolerance Rev1 that came out a couple of weeks before the rev2) I still plug them in half expecting one of the drivers to have failed!

Returning to base for repair is all well and good if you live in the US, it is a nightmare if you don't though! I think if the pair I have fail after the warranty us up in my case in 2 years time then I would not get another pair as much as I like the sound. Firstly, they changed the sound with the Rev2 and having heard them I prefer mine and secondly I just don't like having the sword of Damocles hanging over my head which is what it feels like owning them!

Having heard the T1's I think I would end up going with them as they sounded to my ears much like my Rev1's and if anything goes wrong all I have to do is return them to the local store to take care of!

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #146 of 188
It wouldn't be so bad if Audeze were to communicate with their customer base. I honestly feel IGNORED in my support requests/emails/phone messages.

I haven't ever seen this bad of customer service, even from Comcast. I love the sound, the quality, these headphones are pretty damn nice. Its a shame they don't know a damn thing about woodworking or stand behind their product in a timely fashion.

I'm so frusterated; once I get them fixed (if) I may just sell them off, I'm tired of dealing with the crappy service, and poor design.

May 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #147 of 188
I feel bad for my friend, he spent 1200$ to get the lcd2's and within a week they cracked. He really wanted the HD800's, but I recommended he get the audeze so we don't both have the same headphone. Not manipulating him at all, in fact, he likes bass in his music; but now he has no headphone whatsoever...

I guess I should get him to swap for He500's/6 or maybe the ultrasone sig pro (not so keen on that, but apparently they're really good). In all cases he saves himself some money

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #148 of 188
I feel bad for my friend, he spent 1200$ to get the lcd2's and within a week they cracked. He really wanted the HD800's, but I recommended he get the audeze so we don't both have the same headphone. Not manipulating him at all, in fact, he likes bass in his music; but now he has no headphone whatsoever...

I guess I should get him to swap for He500's/6 or maybe the ultrasone sig pro (not so keen on that, but apparently they're really good). In all cases he saves himself some money

Seeing that the paid $1200 for it, he's probably not in the US, which makes it a pain to ship the defective LCD-2 back for repair.
I sympathize with your friend, I'm not shipping mine back either despite the small crack it has developed.

May 30, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #149 of 188
My LCD-2s have also developed a crack. Waiting for a response from Audeze support. I'll post their response when I get one.

May 30, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #150 of 188
Quote:
My LCD-2s have also developed a crack. Waiting for a response from Audeze support. I'll post their response when I get one.

Wood, man, such a fickle thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back