i am done playing I will only listen to my ATH-A100ti and my Max Out META42
Nov 15, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #16 of 74
...so, how about buying me a pair, instead?

biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #20 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Sorry if you took offense to my last post. I'm just saying that a good component type CD player would probably serve you much better in terms of sound quality.

amen to what he said. Sure Lou, you may think you have decent sources. But you're really not doing your phones justice by listening through those sources.

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #21 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
But you're really not doing your phones justice by listening through those sources.

exactly. you spent around $300 on these quality cans, and they cost more than your source! the least you can to shut us up is to audition a new source..

oh, and please do take a look at this thread .
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #22 of 74
Basically everyone agrees that the better the source, the better the sound. I don't believe there is a PCDP out there that sounds like a nice, high-end CDP. They were meant to be portable, not be a high-end replacement.

HAving said that, I own a Sony PCDP that I think it just wonderful!! I have it set-up feeding my Creek OBH-11 and I got no complaints considering what it is and how much it cost. Does it sound as good as my Cambridge Audio D500SE?? In one word: NO!! There is much more background info and details I have never heard thru my PCDP that are now coming thru my cans.

Is it fair to compare a PCDP to a full sized, high-end CDP? No! That's not to say some don't compare them, but it really isn't fair to do so. When I competed in car stereo competitions with my 251-500 watt beginner class stereo, on ejudge told me to go look at another person's stereo installation to see how I should have done it. That guy had $100,000 worth of equipment and time invested into his car. He used lasers to find dead spots of sound in his car so it was perfect. I almost had a cow when he said that. He should have compared my car installation and such against the class I was competing in, not against someone in unlimited professional class!!!

I nev er see car magazines review the latest offering Ferrari has to a VW Bug!! It makes no sense, does it??

Not starting a flame war here, just trying to put things back into perspective!! If you like what you have, use it! If you don't like what someone else has, keeping that particular opinion to yourself might be a viable option.
wink.gif

if you feel the need to flame this post, please PM it to me to keep it out of the public forum!!

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #28 of 74
Hmmm, maybe you'd be interested in getting a portable cd player with optical out, and a portable DAC/ Meta42 combo?
very_evil_smiley.gif
its called the PDAC, and it's aos's design, iirc(please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong). Basically, a portable source will really limit you with its DAC. An outboard DAC of higher quality will really help out here, though you're still at the mercy of using the pcdp as a crappy transport. :-/

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #30 of 74
Lou: no, you can't use a portable DAC with your minidisc player, because, save for sony's first model ( R1, iirc), no minidisc player has an optical out. Also, there wouldn't be that much point to one, except for recording purposes. MD's ATRAC already compresses the music. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back