I am confused about what I want.
Oct 14, 2002 at 1:07 PM Post #31 of 42
For me the dt770 bass doesn't overpower anything else, perhaps its because I'm so used to my klipsch promedia 2.1 speaker that can produce very good bass. However, the dt770bass is even tighter and more tuneful.. really nice to me.. not boomy like the one in my speaker.
However, some people just can't stand the bass and say that it is overpowering the rest of themusic.. it all depends on your preference.. whether you like it bassy or not.

For pop music, I like to hear the melody goes with some nice drum kicks and bass lines, and I think dt770 has done a very good job. Even the dt250-80 is not as exciting to me..

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #32 of 42
That you can hear a 20Hz full-scale test tone on the phones does not mean that they can produce this frequency in any meaningful proportion relative to the midrange in normal music without heavy equalization.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 14, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
That you can hear a 20Hz full-scale test tone on the phones does not mean that they can produce this frequency in any meaningful proportion relative to the midrange in normal music without heavy equalization.

i totally agree.

Quote:

It seems that most of you have recommanded the DT770. I was interested in that too at first but then I read stories about how the bass of it was just overwhelming for some.

let's put it this way: if you believe that your current headphones produce the perfect amount of bass and you don't want anymore low-frequency extension, then stay away from the DT 770 pro. if you believe, like i do, that headphones have a hard time producing really low notes, then check out the DT 770.

i think the amp has a lot to do with some people thinking the DT 770 has too much bass. i put the stock tubes (sovteks) back in my moretto and the bass became a bit uncontrolled.

but in my experience, headphone amps generally tighten the bass rather than make it bloated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #34 of 42
looks like plenty of other 770 fans have had their say but i think i'll add mine as well
tongue.gif

I'm definately a fan of bass. but sometimes even i get overwhelmed. I got sent some music by another producer friend of mine. he uses alesis (sp?) monitors when he does his thing. but some of his tracks were almost unlistenable for me at my normal listening volume.

generally it's not a problem. but even the craziest basshead will be overwhelmed at some point by the 770's imo.

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #35 of 42
A lot of sources and amps have a bass rolloff. For those components, a headphone with otherwise "excessive" bass can be a good match. This is one of the reasons I've suggested the DT250-80 for portables--it gives a little more bass for people who typically need a little more.

But then, there are a couple guys here with good sources and RKV amps who like the DT770 and I'm not sure what to think of that yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #36 of 42
One thing you may want to try for an interim step is the Philips HP890s. I too like the V6/7506 because I probably prefer a little extra low end, but between the two, I prefer the 890's. I still use the v6's more often because they are closed but when I'm alone in the house, I toss on the 890's and turn it up. They also have bass that more closely resembles speakers like someone described the 770's.

Anyway, I don't have experience with a lot of the other phones mentioned, but I thought your tastes sounded similar to mine and thought I'd offer a less expensive approach. It's worth a try anyway, you can usually find someone with a used pair for $60-70, which is a great deal for a lot of headphone in my opinion (though I'm no audiophile, so maybe you should just stick with listening to the other more knowlegeable folks in this thread.)

JJ

Oct 15, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
let's put it this way: if you believe that your current headphones produce the perfect amount of bass and you don't want anymore low-frequency extension, then stay away from the DT 770 pro. if you believe, like i do, that headphones have a hard time producing really low notes, then check out the DT 770.

but in my experience, headphone amps generally tighten the bass rather than make it bloated.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do believe that my sony mdr7506 produces the right amount of bass for my liking. So in my next upgrade, i am looking for something that has similiar characters as the sony in the bass area. I also agree with you that headphone amps do tighten the bass because when i compared it with an unamped source, the difference is very noticeable.

So DT-770 is out of the question now. Grados are also out of the question because I already own the MS1. Senns and ETY's are still on my list. I would like the smooth and airy sounding of the senns but etys sounds just as interesting as the senns.

I am going to end up with both phones in my hands if i can't decide what i want. (just like how i have the sony and alessandro)
frown.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #38 of 42
oh by the way, i think i found the answer to my own question. I think the reason why I like how the sony sounds when its plugged into a sblive sound card is because it sounds way more laid back. I think its because i get distracted or annoyed by music when i am doing work or reading posts on this board (i admit it, my concentration span is short so i need to listen to music to help me concentrate sometimes).
rolleyes.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
From where I sit, the HD600 does not go as deep as the Sony V6. Not many do. Please keep in mind that in this I'm only talking about extension--the quality of the bass in the Sony V6 isn't all that great (though, I still say it's great for the money).

Can you please explain what you mean by "bass in the sony v6 isn't all that great). I sure like how they sound but maybe that's because i have yet to hear anything better.

I always thought that v6 has a fairly flat and accurate bass response. Was i misinformed? Because you mentioned Quote:

Listener prefers an exagerrated bass/midbass response (HD600 is already exaggerated, V6 is further exaggerated

Oct 15, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #40 of 42
pepsione
The V6/7506 is a little exaggerated in the midbass, as I said -- not as boomy as most other Sony headphones but still a little boomy, less articulate than some of the more expensive phones. This is still my favorite headphone at or below its pricepoint, though.

Oct 19, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D

BTW Senn HD600 with an inadequate amp = flabby overblown midbass with poorer extension and lack of tightness.

Just wondering... What is the least expensive amp in your opinion that can drive the HD600 well? I just recently purchased a Super mini from fixup and was wondering if it would be able to do anything for the HD600... will the Meta42 work well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back