I am confused about what I want.
Oct 8, 2002 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been reading a lot of posts about HD580/600 vs Grado 125/225/325 vs Ety 4s/4p. At the moment I am leaning towards getting the HD600 for my next upgrade. I don't plan doing this for at least another year or so because this is going to be costly (new phones, amp, cdp).

However, I still have some doubts about getting the HD600 even though they are many other's favourite headphone.

I currently own the Sony 7506, Alessandro MS1 and KSC35 (check my profile for source & amp). I would I have to say I love the 7506 the most and they were my first pair of headphone). I don't like the MS1 because I find them to be too forward sounding and bright. The bass just can not be compared with the 7506. It does have a better soundstage and mid range over the 7506. The Koss are ok for portable use, but there is something missing about their sound (the mids and lows maybe?). I don't like everything about the 7506 either because they sound recessed in the mid, soundstage is not as wide and it sounds boring sometimes. However, I really really like the bass it can reproduce (its tight and crisp and every beat is very well defined, unlike the MS1 where I find the bass is more bloated and not as detail).

So according to what I like, what should i get for my next upgrade? Something with the bass of Sony 7506, the soundstage of MS1, and the mids that sounds smooth and liquid.

I am very very confused at this moment because I know what I like but I can't figure out which headphone would suit my tastes the best.

Funny thing is, I find my Sony to sound the best when its plug into my computer (connected to a Sound Blaster Live). It adds warmth and bumps the mids a bit. I am listening to them right now as I am typing this and i think it sounds wonderful. I just amazing to hear I couldn't hear with my computer speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 42
HI: All of your headphones are fine and you really dont need any more cans for now. I think what you need is a portable amp and the cans that you have will open up and sound great. JMT could make you a META42 or cmoy and there are lest exspensive amp according to your needs. Just pm or e-mail JMT and talk to him. If you keep buying headphones you will go broke real fast and never really be happy with them. Soon after you will be getting high end cans and will still need a amp but a good one because of the high end cans.

Oct 8, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 42
I am hyping a new headphone because I am difficult and obtuse. The Ultrasone HFI-650 is, to me, the true upgrade to the V6/7506. I'll have to do an AB comparison of those two soon. The HD600 has both pros and cons versus the Sony.

Oct 9, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 42
I'll 2nd arnett's recommendation for the DT 770s I recently got a pair and I like them better than my hd 580s, in fact they're currently my favorite headphones.

Todd

Oct 9, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by tkam
I'll 2nd arnett's recommendation for the DT 770s I recently got a pair and I like them better than my hd 580s, in fact they're currently my favorite headphones.
Todd

hey, yet another person who has ditched their HD580 for the DT 770 pro.
cool.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett

sounds like you're a bass-head.

have you thought about the beyerdynamic DT 770 pro?
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I have, but I am just afraid that the improvements from Sony 7506 to DT770 Pro might be too small and it would not be a wise investment.

I guess I am a bass head (what can I say, I wanted to learned how to play the drum set since I was a kid).
tongue.gif
I pay more attention to the bass of most songs than the highs and mids comes in second. Although, I hate boomy bass, I like them clean and crisp like the Sony (have I mentioned that I don't like the bass from Grados?).

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Hmm, you like midrange and soundstage? The HD600s are for you. The bass? Hmm, well, make sure you get a good amp.
biggrin.gif

From all the good reviews, I am just so tempted to get the HD600 and see what I have been missing the whole time. But the senns is shy in the bass area so i have concerns about getting them.

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
HI: I think what you need is a portable amp and the cans that you have will open up and sound great. JMT could make you a META42 or cmoy and there are lest exspensive amp according to your needs.

I already have a amp and a decent source. I have the CHA47 dual 9v built for grados and CT570 and D-25s (used with amp). I am already broke
wink.gif
that's why i don't plan on getting my next upgrade until next year.

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I am hyping a new headphone because I am difficult and obtuse. The Ultrasone HFI-650 is, to me, the true upgrade to the V6/7506. I'll have to do an AB comparison of those two soon. The HD600 has both pros and cons versus the Sony.

I'll be interested in hear your comments on those new phones. How much were they when you got them?

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Pepsione1
I'll be interested in hear your comments on those new phones. How much were they when you got them?

Ultrasone HFI-650 is $140 at www.meier-audio.com

I'll try to do a brief comparison this weekend.

Oct 9, 2002 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 42
kelly
HI: these 650 look very interesting. When you get them can you com-pair them to the senn. 580s

Oct 9, 2002 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Kelly:

I am hyping a new headphone because I am difficult and obtuse.

I thought that was part of your charm.
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Pepsione1:

From all the good reviews, I am just so tempted to get the HD600 and see what I have been missing the whole time. But the senns is shy in the bass area so i have concerns about getting them.

I don't find my HD600s to be shy in the bass. If fact, I think that they have some of the deepest bass that I have ever heard. But, if you are comparing them to the V6s, then I can see your point.

Oct 9, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 42
You find that hd600 is bass shy?
I think Dt770pro is right for you then!! Seriously, I have never come across a phone that can produce subwoofer like bass impact. IF you love bass, look no further..

I find that hd600 offers quite a good balance of sound, warmth, bass, and highs.. definately a very balanced phone.. however I don't like as it requires very good amp to shine(costly)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back