Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 25, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #18,976 of 19,009
Roon says to avoid wifi but I'm quite satisfied with stuff like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-25-12-03-18-494_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-25-12-03-18-494_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 0
May 25, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #18,977 of 19,009
I do remember I had to change a setting in Roon for it to sound good over wireless and I think it was to have the end point render and decode (maybe it was the opposite but I think this was it) but I'd agree that if you can get wired or a bridge like this to sound as good or better than wireless that's the way I would have preferred to go but I just never got anything to work well. Those wireless bridges look interesting though I did not try one of those I may check that out, it does look like a good way to get around the problem.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #18,978 of 19,009
I'm not very sure, but feeding such a unit from a free usb slot of the streamer itself was not as good as feeding the unit from a standard 5V mains adapter (you use to charge your phone with)

I started using those in rooms without wired network sockets. A temporary solution that went unchanged after working well.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #18,979 of 19,009
Be it the TT2 or M-Scaler which USB cable are you using. I know Rob has mentioned just using the one that came with the unit but I am sure those of us with audiophile nervosa have ventured out to other options. Anything you have found to be a good option

I use a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 from my Antipodes to Mscaler. I like that they separate data and power wires.

May 25, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #18,981 of 19,009
To me Optical blows away all other inputs like USB and Coax, and to me Coax is the worst. With Optical on the M scaler a warmth gets in and with even more transparency, it is not bright at all and I can hear more into the music, including the separation. I agree with Rob 100 percent, USB and Coax have a brightness that at first gives you the illusion of detail, but it's not, it's RFI/EMI and distortion. Optical/Toslink is immune to noise as it is light, no other cable can do that. I love it.

May 25, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #18,982 of 19,009
To me Optical blows away all other inputs like USB and Coax, and to me Coax is the worst. With Optical on the M scaler a warmth gets in and with even more transparency, it is not bright at all and I can hear more into the music, including the separation. I agree with Rob 100 percent, USB and Coax have a brightness that at first gives you the illusion of detail, but it's not, it's RFI/EMI and distortion. Optical/Toslink is immune to noise as it is light, no other cable can do that. I love it.

Thats why i love these optical inputs on my Dave :) to be best isolated. Then all inputs on Mscaler sound as good

Screenshot_20240525-201335_Gallery.jpg

May 25, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #18,984 of 19,009
yes, I saw lots of people say that. things like never go wifi.

i bought a new steamer early this month. and one of my requirements for a streamer is wifi 5G supported

and I have used wifi since then, all the time, so far so good. (I use Apple Music, tidal, and harddisks connected to streamer as my source)

i think the key is : isolated power supply-- linear power supply-- a decent streamer--decent cables-- reliable data resource

and you are good to go.

i didn't see any noticeable change when I switched to fixed line, and as I mentioned there's no improvement when i use optics (if not worse), I'm

still searching for the right optical cable.

May 25, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #18,985 of 19,009
Fortunately I use an Antipodes K30 server/player with an upgraded usb implementation. It is a no noise, reclocked Antipodes upgrade and when compared to the optical in is a noticeable uptick. I think Rob has also said the usb is the best input IF you do not have rfi issues. The Wave Storm cables are a good but expensive solution.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #18,986 of 19,009
Those wifi bridges to streamer, I feed them from 12V battery too, very satisfied with the result!
My hard wired network setup, hard if not completely impossible to note differences.
But the general health of your particular wifi realm wil be very important I guess.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #18,987 of 19,009
Those wifi bridges to streamer, I feed them from 12V battery too, very satisfied with the result!
My hard wired network setup, hard if not completely impossible to note differences.
But the general health of your particular wifi realm wil be very important I guess.
Decent wifi works without issues. I work in IT, I have seen quite many times that people invest a fortune in decent hifi, but don’t even invest more than 100 bucks in their it infrastructure…

My 4 mesh acces points in my house alone costs already 600, without routers and cabling not included.

May 26, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #18,988 of 19,009
i saw a d8000pro today, hopefully, it can fill the gap that my hd800 left.
it's second-handed but in mint condition (at least from what I saw on the pic sent by the seller)
the price is around 1800 USD, is that a good price?
my friend is a ex tt2 owner and told me this hp works fine on tt2, there is a video comparing this d8000pro and caldera and hd800, since the hd800 sounds pretty much accurate in the video, so i listened carefully with the other two, it turns out i like d8000pro more.

any advice?

i need a hp for jazz, acg, and pop. i was not satisfied by hd800 in these genres, especially pop...

May 26, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #18,989 of 19,009
i saw a d8000pro today, hopefully, it can fill the gap that my hd800 left.
it's second-handed but in mint condition (at least from what I saw on the pic sent by the seller)
the price is around 1800 USD, is that a good price?
my friend is a ex tt2 owner and told me this hp works fine on tt2, there is a video comparing this d8000pro and caldera and hd800, since the hd800 sounds pretty much accurate in the video, so i listened carefully with the other two, it turns out i like d8000pro more.

any advice?

i need a hp for jazz, acg, and pop. i was not satisfied by hd800 in these genres, especially pop...

If i hadnt found out the clarity my hd800 now gives with the inner sheets removed.. i would have gone D8000(pro) too..

The non pro has a more profound bass while the pro is brighter with wider soundstage.. closer to hd800

20231111_135402.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back