Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 18, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #18,586 of 18,907
Jan 18, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #18,587 of 18,907
Is it fair to say that the consensus on using external amps with the TT2 that you're better off without? It seems unlikely to me that adding in more connections and breaking synergy will enhance sound, but willing to be corrected.

Or are we mostly talking about an external amp (I'm thinking along the lines of a Ferrum Oor here) adding a different 'flavour' of sound?

Corollary to this: are hard to drive headphones a factor in any of this? ie I have Abyss Diana V2s. Is it more likely you'll get something out of using an external amp if your headphones are harder to drive than most?

First post on the board, btw, and must say a huge thank you to everyone who contributes. I've found loads of answers to queries pre- and post-sale. Never enjoyed music so much in my life thanks to the TT2! :)

That does seem to be the consensus, and after trying it for myself I agree with it. I have the exact same setup as you; TT2 with Diana V2, and also a Ferrum Oor + Hypsos. I bought the Ferrum stack first after I got the headphones. It's definitely a great amp with a ton of power. Then I bought the TT2 intending mostly to use it as a DAC, until I plugged into the front of it for the first time just to try it, and was blown away how good it sounded. MAYBE a little less slam than the Ferrum but really depends on the song; the TT2 has a ton of power.

I've tried many different configurations outputting the TT2 to the Ferrum; RCA, XLR, DAC mode, pre amp mode. None of it seems to make a massive difference in the sound to me, and the best way I can describe it is that you still retain all the detail from the TT2 DAC, but for every other aspect, the Ferrum just dominates the sound; all I really hear is the Ferrum and the magic of the TT2 output is gone. All that unbelievable soundstage and layering is gone, the liquid smooth treble is also gone. Maybe a different amp could be a better pairing, something that colors the sound less, but for me at least, I stopped looking for anything to add after I compared the TT2 output to adding more to the chain.

There is also a consensus that unless you have a 1266 or Susvara, the TT2 is plenty of power and slam for pretty much anything else. I don't have either of these but also something to keep in mind.

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #18,588 of 18,907
That does seem to be the consensus, and after trying it for myself I agree with it. I have the exact same setup as you; TT2 with Diana V2, and also a Ferrum Oor + Hypsos. I bought the Ferrum stack first after I got the headphones. It's definitely a great amp with a ton of power. Then I bought the TT2 intending mostly to use it as a DAC, until I plugged into the front of it for the first time just to try it, and was blown away how good it sounded. MAYBE a little less slam than the Ferrum but really depends on the song; the TT2 has a ton of power.

I've tried many different configurations outputting the TT2 to the Ferrum; RCA, XLR, DAC mode, pre amp mode. None of it seems to make a massive difference in the sound to me, and the best way I can describe it is that you still retain all the detail from the TT2 DAC, but for every other aspect, the Ferrum just dominates the sound; all I really hear is the Ferrum and the magic of the TT2 output is gone. All that unbelievable soundstage and layering is gone, the liquid smooth treble is also gone. Maybe a different amp could be a better pairing, something that colors the sound less, but for me at least, I stopped looking for anything to add after I compared the TT2 output to adding more to the chain.

There is also a consensus that unless you have a 1266 or Susvara, the TT2 is plenty of power and slam for pretty much anything else. I don't have either of these but also something to keep in mind.
This is EVERYTHING I was interested in. Thank you!

Experimenting is great, but I just don't have the energy to spend £2k+ on Ferrum stuff to try it out, then have to sell it all if it doesn't work.

I'm REALLY going to enjoy when I get some TCs and an MScaler because I want to be done! Sure, I can sink another £500 into cables, but I don't think I can be bothered even if they do make a difference.

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #18,589 of 18,907

The TT2 have more than sufficient power, especially if using XLR out, compared to the AHB2 it is smoother and silkier while the AHB2 is a little better in the dynamics and slightly tighter and a bit more prominent bottom end, I have settled on the HMS + TT2 as my daily drive for the Susvaras and Stealth and left the AHB2 do the speaker duty, though I use the TT2 line outs for my KEF LS50 in my office....happy as a fish in water....for now....

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #18,590 of 18,907
This is EVERYTHING I was interested in. Thank you!

Experimenting is great, but I just don't have the energy to spend £2k+ on Ferrum stuff to try it out, then have to sell it all if it doesn't work.

I'm REALLY going to enjoy when I get some TCs and an MScaler because I want to be done! Sure, I can sink another £500 into cables, but I don't think I can be bothered even if they do make a difference.
yup, the TT2 sounds so good it has a way of making you realize that you don't always need to keep looking for more/better/more expensive, but ironically it's expensive itself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm looking at summit-fi IEM's, but right now I'm listening to my HD600s through the TT2 and it sounds so damn good it almost makes me think, do I even need anything else? I also really want an Mscaler, but I feel like I would have to demo one because I've seen some people say it makes a massive difference, and others say it's a negligible difference.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #18,591 of 18,907
If you happen to find TT2 a nudge too "detailed" then a (ahum) cheap solution is a Rebelamp. I run TT2 with and without the rebelamp, it's just like having 2 signatures at hand, not too different though. I stopped using Burson Soloist 3xp, the rebelamp preserves the chord key qualities much better. Imho.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #18,592 of 18,907
yup, the TT2 sounds so good it has a way of making you realize that you don't always need to keep looking for more/better/more expensive, but ironically it's expensive itself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm looking at summit-fi IEM's, but right now I'm listening to my HD600s through the TT2 and it sounds so damn good it almost makes me think, do I even need anything else? I also really want an Mscaler, but I feel like I would have to demo one because I've seen some people say it makes a massive difference, and others say it's a negligible difference.
You can get an small idea using hqplayer trough the tt2… than imagine after that, it can even be better and that is mscaler.

I audited at the shop with and without, ended up, buying both. The mscaler takes the tt2 to such a unbelievable level, hearing is buying. Listen to it for half an hour and than take it away… and you’ll understand..

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #18,593 of 18,907
You can get an small idea using hqplayer trough the tt2… than imagine after that, it can even be better and that is mscaler.

I audited at the shop with and without, ended up, buying both. The mscaler takes the tt2 to such a unbelievable level, hearing is buying. Listen to it for half an hour and than take it away… and you’ll understand..
I've actually played around with HQPlayer in the last week. A few songs I didn't hear squat of a difference. Then I put on Tonite Tonite by the Smashing Pumpkins and when everything chills in the first verse, the bass just sang in a way I'd never heard. Everything felt like it was a few feet higher in the air or the something. Really cool and undeniable to someone who isn't as aware of changes as a lot of folk here.

Excited to get an mscaler!

Question: do you see bigger improvement depending on headphones? ie do hard to drive headphones scale a bit better? Or pretty much a blanket improvement? Subjective I know etc…

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #18,594 of 18,907
Anyone got favourite crossfeed/filter settings?

Think I've found my sweet spot with XFD1 and FIL1 because…I honestly cannot hear ANY difference with the filters other than crossfeed. Forget blind testing, I'm sitting TRYING to hear differences and still can't.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #18,595 of 18,907
Anyone got favourite crossfeed/filter settings?

Think I've found my sweet spot with XFD1 and FIL1 because…I honestly cannot hear ANY difference with the filters other than crossfeed. Forget blind testing, I'm sitting TRYING to hear differences and still can't.
I don’t know why, but on my full hifi set I notice more effect of the filters than with headphones.

Depended on which track, more on older jazz and blues I prefer crossfeed 1 or 2

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #18,596 of 18,907
I've actually played around with HQPlayer in the last week. A few songs I didn't hear squat of a difference. Then I put on Tonite Tonite by the Smashing Pumpkins and when everything chills in the first verse, the bass just sang in a way I'd never heard. Everything felt like it was a few feet higher in the air or the something. Really cool and undeniable to someone who isn't as aware of changes as a lot of folk here.

Excited to get an mscaler!

Question: do you see bigger improvement depending on headphones? ie do hard to drive headphones scale a bit better? Or pretty much a blanket improvement? Subjective I know etc…
To be honest mscaler sounds amazing with anything, I always hoped hqplayer would be it… was I wrong!! Hqplayer is okay, but definately not a mscaler!

I was sold after hearing the mscaler.
Sounds amazing on any headset and my full hifi set too

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #18,597 of 18,907
It all depends on preference.
I do not want to use any computer with my audio gear hence the streamer.
It is also more convenient to use a dedicated streamer and much less fussy than making numerous settings and software changes.
But it does not matter how you get your music it only matter that you enjoy it.
I went for convenience.
But with Chord DACs you never stop tinkering and everything makes a difference.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #18,598 of 18,907
One to listen on the TT2 (+/- MScaler)

1705841146775.jpeg

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #18,599 of 18,907
It all depends on preference.
I do not want to use any computer with my audio gear hence the streamer.
It is also more convenient to use a dedicated streamer and much less fussy than making numerous settings and software changes.
But it does not matter how you get your music it only matter that you enjoy it.
I went for convenience.
But with Chord DACs you never stop tinkering and everything makes a difference.
Is there much difference listening via a streamer Vs computer? 'Notable' differences being highly subjective of course.

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #18,600 of 18,907
I found a significant difference between the USB and the BNC input of the TT2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back