Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 9, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #18,271 of 18,905
I would not say that the balanced outputs decreases transparency. I heard it more as a decrease in tonalitet/naturalness, but that's just me.
Thank you guys for your feedback. It seems a better choice is to use the inbalanced output even for power hungry cans like Susvara, I'll check it myself when I receive the Hugo and share the experience of my own 2 ears :)

Anyway I have the option of feeding my Kinki Headphone amp (works terrific with Susvara) with the Hugo dac thru xlr or inbalanced outputs but I heard the headphone amp section is top class and will definitively give it a privileged try !

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #18,272 of 18,905

@Digital Enigma

I would actually disagree on all points raised. To say an added amplifier in between tt2 and the ls50 meta would only add a bit of distortion is totally wrong imho. The whole point is to preserve the total transparency of mtt2 driving the kefs directly which vs adding an ampifier in the chain is a complete night and day difference. Just listening to vocals on quality recordings proves this. Going direct from mtt2 i am a hearing a totally transparent and natural sound unobtainable with any any ampifier no matter how good that amp is. That's why Rob powers his large floor standing speaker this way.

Secondly the ls50 meta is only limited in one way only as it digs down to only 79 khz. Someone i know well of here is using a dave direct with voxativ speakers and subs in the same way many audiophiles use quality subs integrated with their smaller speakers. My speakers bloom and the difference is night and day. I would have to pay alot more to get a single floorstanding speaker that performs equally.

With regards to volume level on paper it seems yes that the tt2 doesnt have enough grunt and power to drive the kefs loudly but in reality this is not the case. The tt2 drives the kefs (85db) loudly enough to easily fill a medium sized room. And this result is both totally effortless and i rarely go too loud on the tt2 volume setting. There is loads of power in reserve with the tt2 this way. Dont forget the massive reserves of current stored in the tt2 supercapacitors ready for demanding passages in music such as large orchestral pieces. There are a number of headfi members driving speakers with 86db from tt2 directly successfully. MTT2 transparency is everything for me. Im also using a nearfield listening set up which is a key consideration here.

Finally with regards to loudness levels and my metas this was Rob's direct reply to that question below here which clarifies everything. Ive attacked my set up from every which way from a practical and philiosophical way and it delivers everytime. The questions you raised are all questions that i too initially wondered about and considered too. So yes in that regard everything you mention are valid concerns.

"TT2 was designed to drive loads well below 3 ohms, so no worries about that. But with the meta/TT2 single ended (and correct you can't use the XLR with speakers) you will get max 96dB SPL. Now that would be perfect for me, as I usually run it at around 85 dB SPL anyway, but you will be in trouble if you play it very loud as it will clip".

(a motorcycle engine running is about 95dB so with mtt2 and my kefs giving max. 96db that is loud)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #18,273 of 18,905
Amber are you getting lower end volume with the d10s optical into mscaler. I was and ive switched back to usb and all is normal now.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #18,275 of 18,905
Im very surprised that you are able to properly drive LS50 meta out of a TT2...

They have a sensitivity of 84db and drop down to 2ohms! im not surprised you wanted a sub woofer to pair with them. 84db is low and they need some serious current to get those drivers performing to their full potential. I get this "pure as possible signal" thing many people want but this isn't the way to go with LS50s, you are handicapping them from the fear of a bit of added distortion which in my opinion is far less important than under powering a speaker.

Have you actually tried a dedicated amplifier? its not just about higher volume, you might be surprised about not needing the sub.
Talk bout pissing on someone's chips......

Dec 10, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #18,277 of 18,905
Ah yes I forget there is only one way in this sub forum, no discussion regarding comparisons with other DACs because apparently if they aren't designed by Mr Watts then they aren't even worth talking about and going against the grain by simply suggesting for someone to (try) a dedicated power amplifier with their speakers or headphones!

You know what, I don't know why I bother. people are right about chord fans they have completely lost it, just keep circle jerking.

Dec 10, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #18,278 of 18,905
Ah yes I forget there is only one way in this sub forum, no discussion regarding comparisons with other DACs because apparently if they aren't designed by Mr Watts then they aren't even worth talking about and going against the grain by simply suggesting for someone to (try) a dedicated power amplifier with their speakers or headphones!

You know what, I don't know why I bother. people are right about chord fans they have completely lost it, just keep circle jerking.
Your post was much more than a simple suggestion. Language matters.

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #18,280 of 18,905
Whether my post was perceived as being rude or not by some, my point still stands. Additional amplification is frowned up on here then so be it.
I wouldn’t say additional “needed” amplification is frowned upon. Driving large speakers, etc. However, it’s a design approach. Chord DACs are designed primarily for transparency and small signal accuracy. The benefits of that are most apparent on the most minimal systems, without multi-driver speakers, pre-amps, amps etc. Anyone should feel free to use what works in their system and sounds good to them. But, like a Porsche designed for speed, you should expect towing a trailer for extra space is going to be ideal for the design.

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #18,281 of 18,905
"no discussion regarding comparisons with other DACs because apparently if they aren't designed by Mr Watts then they aren't even worth talking about"

absolutely correct. i didnt spend 9 thousand pounds of my money that i sweat for to buy a dac that gets pace rhythm and timing wrong using off the shelf dac chips disguised under the cover of false fpga implementations. after hearing hugo 1 in 2017 and after hearing many other dacs and combo headphone amps i instantly knew hugo 1 was the only device that ive ever heard that portrays and plays music in the most beautiful and natural way. i will be a chord fan forever and no i havent lost the plot. my hero here below sir hugo 1 where the beautiful story began.

1702278749552.png

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #18,282 of 18,905

as someone that has all chord dacs but was just removed from the Dave forum I agree. censorship with chord is extreme here.

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #18,283 of 18,905
...people are right about chord fans they have completely lost it, just keep circle jerking.
I Dare you, like in STOP PISSING CARPET UNTIL YOU DO, to find an equal or better transient respecting dac than mojo2 for 600euro price range. (Oh did I mention signal caring dsp? Well let's even forget that to give competition a headstart.)
The circle jerk you speak of is granted unless you deliver fact over trollcry.

We can't remotely state/support a personal appreciation here without being dragged trough your dirt talk over again, so sad, really.

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #18,284 of 18,905
Thank you guys for your feedback. It seems a better choice is to use the inbalanced output even for power hungry cans like Susvara, I'll check it myself when I receive the Hugo and share the experience of my own 2 ears :)

Anyway I have the option of feeding my Kinki Headphone amp (works terrific with Susvara) with the Hugo dac thru xlr or inbalanced outputs but I heard the headphone amp section is top class and will definitively give it a privileged try !
HE6 and Susvara are the exceptions and the extra power/current from the balanced output will probably sound better.

Let us know when you have tested?

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #18,285 of 18,905

Users who are viewing this thread

Back