Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 13, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #17,641 of 18,906
Which is the best setting depends upon the amp being used.
@AussieMick
I noticed the same when playing with my Questyle HP amp between Dave and HP.

If i use Dave in DAC mode (volume -3dB) my amp sounds harscher.. it seems the more its analog potmeter attenuates, the more distortion it gives. But setting my amp volume to max makes it too sensitive to its line interlink cable received noise.

So like you, i found a sweet spot near the middle.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #17,642 of 18,906
I know this is a head-Fi forum and all, but has anyone any experience of using TT2 with ATC SCM19A active speakers? I’m curious if the pairing is a good match with each other. I have had my TT2 for a while now and enjoy it with Arya V2 headphones, but I’m looking to modernise and simplify my speaker system. It strikes me that using active speakers would save me a lot of testing and matching of amplifiers, cables and passive speakers….. ?

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #17,643 of 18,906
I know this is a head-Fi forum and all, but has anyone any experience of using TT2 with ATC SCM19A active speakers? I’m curious if the pairing is a good match with each other. I have had my TT2 for a while now and enjoy it with Arya V2 headphones, but I’m looking to modernise and simplify my speaker system. It strikes me that using active speakers would save me a lot of testing and matching of amplifiers, cables and passive speakers….. ?
…with passive scm7, 19 and 40Active.

I would recommend the TT2 as dac mode and use preamp/poweramp instead.

TT2 is a serious box, but use it in dac mode. Amp mode if you want passive speaker/Susvara connected to the rear/XLR

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #17,644 of 18,906

TT2 is a serious box, but use it in dac mode. Amp mode if you want passive speaker/Susvara connected to the rear/XLR
Why do you say that? You found it to not sound good as a preamp?

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #17,645 of 18,906
Why do you say that? You found it to not sound good as a preamp?
Ofcourse with the passive speakers I had to use amp for them, but with 40A its good, I somehow preferred DAC mode and a preamp…

Mar 16, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #17,646 of 18,906
Ofcourse with the passive speakers I had to use amp for them, but with 40A its good, I somehow preferred DAC mode and a preamp…
Nope, I’m thinking that I want to use TT2 in AMP mode with Low Gain set, so the TT2 acts as preamp. I don’t want to find/trial/use anything else in the chain that might colour the sound in some other way. If anyone has tried that with the SCM19A I’d be interested to hear about it.

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #17,647 of 18,906
Nope, I’m thinking that I want to use TT2 in AMP mode with Low Gain set, so the TT2 acts as preamp. I don’t want to find/trial/use anything else in the chain that might colour the sound in some other way. If anyone has tried that with the SCM19A I’d be interested to hear about it.
Trust me you need color. If you have not tried ATC before prepare for some realism, that is NOT forgiving. Wonderful drum sounds and vocals….

TT2 can be dry sometimes. I think TT2 is a good match though for ATC.

Adding a preamp can change your mind. Saturation is good for dS dacs. Amp that can deliver that without “altering” but subtle…without standing in the way = phenomenal

But hey, try it directly and see if you like it, nothing should stop you.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #17,648 of 18,906
Trust me you need color. If you have not tried ATC before prepare for some realism, that is NOT forgiving. Wonderful drum sounds and vocals….

TT2 can be dry sometimes. I think TT2 is a good match though for ATC.

Adding a preamp can change your mind. Saturation is good for dS dacs. Amp that can deliver that without “altering” but subtle…without standing in the way = phenomenal

But hey, try it directly and see if you like it, nothing should stop you.
That makes a lot of sense. Only challenge is good preamp will cost you just as much as the TT2.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #17,649 of 18,906
That makes a lot of sense. Only challenge is good preamp will cost you just as much as the TT2.
Im willing to bet my HE9-LE is atleast as good as the SCA2 from ATC.

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #17,651 of 18,906

Please dont use TT2 with passive speakers through XLR, use RCA or the front SE , guidelines direct from Rob Watts, I use same with my KEF LS50 gen 1(passive) via SE and it sounds fantastic in my small office 14m2.

Mar 18, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #17,652 of 18,906
Please dont use TT2 with passive speakers through XLR, use RCA or the front SE , guidelines direct from Rob Watts, I use same with my KEF LS50 gen 1(passive) via SE and it sounds fantastic in my small office 14m2.
I would never do that….the smallest ATC recommends upto 375Watt.

Please dont tell me those KEFs are 8ohm and Rob recommends you that?

EDIT: Ohh rephrase: I did not mean XLR for speaker but susvara with adapter

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #17,653 of 18,906
I would never do that….the smallest ATC recommends upto 375Watt.

Please dont tell me those KEFs are 8ohm and Rob recommends you that?

EDIT: Ohh rephrase: I did not mean XLR for speaker but susvara with adapter
Oh no, Rob did not recommend, he actually thought that the Kef's would be to hard to drive, though he said never to use XLR out for passive speakers and to only use SE or RCA, please fact check if you like, its here on head fi, you can search on my previous discussion's or on the Rob Watts thread...that said, it works fine in my small office at normal volume with excellent quality...

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #17,654 of 18,906
Oh no, Rob did not recommend, he actually thought that the Kef's would be to hard to drive, though he said never to use XLR out for passive speakers and to only use SE or RCA, please fact check if you like, its here on head fi, you can search on my previous discussion's or on the Rob Watts thread...that said, it works fine in my small office at normal volume with excellent quality...
Yeah I recall reading rca also

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #17,655 of 18,906
Yeah I recall reading rca also
So far a happy camper using XLR out with Susvara, SE out with the Stealth or Kef LS50 and all good....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back