Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 8, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #17,626 of 18,906
Buy a overkill headamp instead of a speakeramp imo.---

Not trying to convince you on anything, but It is hard not to compliment my setup, to myself, yeah, I am so impressed with my setup - that I only dedicate myself, to reserve time, when I really want to listen to music, and thats on my AGD setup, because it is so lively.

You seem like an experienced user from your signature. You may have, some other experience than me.....
___
I can not recommend you to buy what I like, because only your journey will lead you somewhere. Experience what you do. But something you should keep as a priority, is power as you know, and no matter what headphone you use, Sundara is even hungry. That just does not mean you should be lead by people, who emphasize on hardware that is meant for speakers, even if HifiMan recommends there own EF1000 20W/35ohm

My Susvara is alive (close to my tolerance/limit/volume) on my HE-9 LE(15W/25ohm) - and I dont even use 50% of the volume = output power.
-please no synergy-talk, I have had enough of it:sweat_smile: - when I feel my setup feels like surround sound 3D, and I am in the center/presents of the music.

___

Best recommendation from my experiene, and this also comes to powering speakers. When music gets wider as you turn up the volume you have the right amp. If it gets loud/centered, it cries for help.....

____

Dont get dissapointed, try before you buy
Thanks so much for this, really appreciated. The HE-9 LE looks great and VERY reasonably priced Cp to many HP amps. Are you pairing it with TT2 (I assume so since this is the TT2 thread), and if so how? TT2 DAC XLRs out —> HE-9 XLR inputs?

Yes- I joined the hobby in the Summer of 2021. I am a local public health officer and needed a head space to retreat/escape/thrive after the long, long days and the hobby has been that for me. I was deep into IEMs and DAPs for a while but have oddly shaped ear canals and it just wasn’t working for me so I have returned to HPs, and was able to get a reasonably priced Susvara so am starting to explore this space. Before I had only a few mid-fi HPs, and even on my very limited system (D90SE —> 3XP) Sus has been a revelation. My situation is unique in that I will retire soon and will live 50% of the time in UK and 50% in the US, so the TT2 being relatively compact fits the bill if I can still find satisfaction in the SQ. I had also been looking hard at Yggdrasil as a next step-up DAC, and maybe to buy a next level headphone amp (at the level of HE-9) and call it good for the US system; however, I need to find a solution that is portable (not in terms of pocketable but that after 6 months I can fit into a backpack and take with me to the other side of the pond).

Auditioning a new device is fantastic when possible. There is not a single hifi shop in my city in the midwest USA to do this, so I tend to buy from vendors who have good ‘try and return’ policies.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #17,627 of 18,906
Thanks so much for this, really appreciated. The HE-9 LE looks great and VERY reasonably priced Cp to many HP amps. Are you pairing it with TT2 (I assume so since this is the TT2 thread), and if so how? TT2 DAC XLRs out —> HE-9 XLR inputs?

Yes- I joined the hobby in the Summer of 2021. I am a local public health officer and needed a head space to retreat/escape/thrive after the long, long days and the hobby has been that for me. I was deep into IEMs and DAPs for a while but have oddly shaped ear canals and it just wasn’t working for me so I have returned to HPs, and was able to get a reasonably priced Susvara so am starting to explore this space. Before I had only a few mid-fi HPs, and even on my very limited system (D90SE —> 3XP) Sus has been a revelation. My situation is unique in that I will retire soon and will live 50% of the time in UK and 50% in the US, so the TT2 being relatively compact fits the bill if I can still find satisfaction in the SQ. I had also been looking hard at Yggdrasil as a next step-up DAC, and maybe to buy a next level headphone amp (at the level of HE-9) and call it good for the US system; however, I need to find a solution that is portable (not in terms of pocketable but that after 6 months I can fit into a backpack and take with me to the other side of the pond).

Auditioning a new device is fantastic when possible. There is not a single hifi shop in my city in the midwest USA to do this, so I tend to buy from vendors who have good ‘try and return’ policies.
@jlemaster1957 may I suggest something? Since you are planning to be traveling: consider Mojo2 + Poly (assuming you will be able to get it to work flawlessly in your home networks or just use playback from SD card). With DSP you can change its sound signature and it is transparent, detailed with black background dac/amp combo that considering both price and size it can easily compete with both Hugo 2 and TT2 and you still get a bit of Chord house sound. While I wouldn't run Susvara out of Mojo/Mojo 2 there are plenty of other cans that will have brilliant synergy and if you really need separate amp you can always connect one too. You can even think about CD transport for desktop setup due to Mojo inputs.

Mar 9, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #17,628 of 18,906

Your welcome.

I know it sounded like I wanted to sell, make you buy AGD, but I was not. Its a BIG commitment. 18KG just for the headamp….

I have a weird relationship with TT2 and Susvara in general. Love and hate, on certain tracks. Susvara is not very forgiving, like Arya. The "central" issue here is the pronounced mids of TT2. It suits the Arya better, Susvara can reveal too much mids, and make TT2(smear/dry) - it can be too much, but this depends on the productions/music.

From my memory Arya wins when it comes to pairing with TT2 and headamp. The reason I use sundara on it, it is good for gaming having a mid-focused sound. My plan for TT2 is moving it into the AGD chain. This reason is also based on the driver of TT2.
_
it goes into a "sleep state", when not in use in windows for a while. Coming back from RME DAC FS and switching back to TT2 it needs time to wake up. Playing any sound in this state(waking up) it will distort and crack the sound of left side of headphone brutaly if the volume is high.

Im eliminating this by connecting it to the DI20HE, as it just works flawlessly, and with better noise filtering (super isolation) - I have a 5meter usb cable connected to AGD setup, because this BIG setup needs its own location, and it does not sound degrading at all compared to a USB cable that is 14 times more expensive(1.5m SR USB ACTIVE SE)

Still not trying to sell you the HE-9 LE....But I can not help myself being honest.

Long story short. If you have plans for AGD setup in the future I can recommend it with TT2 as the HE-9 LE has so many features. Not only beating the Ferrum OOR and iFi iCAN SIG with classes over(on TT2). It has a preamp mode also:

Features
1. 5 inputs - XLR,XLR,RCA,RCA,ACSS
2. ACSS is a better technology than standard XLR - better sound yes
3. Preamp mode for active speakers or power amp etc.
4. Very powerful PSU design, that responds with speed, beautiful transparency, and still adds some analog-sweetness.

...many more pros to mention

There is absolutely nothing that can beat this amp in its price range and ALOT over. Im so excited to connect TT2 with the COAX and have best of both worlds in one setup. dS and R2R

Mar 9, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #17,629 of 18,906
@jlemaster1957 may I suggest something? Since you are planning to be traveling: consider Mojo2 + Poly (assuming you will be able to get it to work flawlessly in your home networks or just use playback from SD card). With DSP you can change its sound signature and it is transparent, detailed with black background dac/amp combo that considering both price and size it can easily compete with both Hugo 2 and TT2 and you still get a bit of Chord house sound. While I wouldn't run Susvara out of Mojo/Mojo 2 there are plenty of other cans that will have brilliant synergy and if you really need separate amp you can always connect one too. You can even think about CD transport for desktop setup due to Mojo inputs.
Thanks - this might be just the ticket. I will check it out. Space-wise this combo could just about not be beat.

Mar 9, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #17,630 of 18,906
Your welcome.

I know it sounded like I wanted to sell, make you buy AGD, but I was not. Its a BIG commitment. 18KG just for the headamp….

I have a weird relationship with TT2 and Susvara in general. Love and hate, on certain tracks. Susvara is not very forgiving, like Arya. The "central" issue here is the pronounced mids of TT2. It suits the Arya better, Susvara can reveal too much mids, and make TT2(smear/dry) - it can be too much, but this depends on the productions/music.

From my memory Arya wins when it comes to pairing with TT2 and headamp. The reason I use sundara on it, it is good for gaming having a mid-focused sound. My plan for TT2 is moving it into the AGD chain. This reason is also based on the driver of TT2.
_
it goes into a "sleep state", when not in use in windows for a while. Coming back from RME DAC FS and switching back to TT2 it needs time to wake up. Playing any sound in this state(waking up) it will distort and crack the sound of left side of headphone brutaly if the volume is high.

Im eliminating this by connecting it to the DI20HE, as it just works flawlessly, and with better noise filtering (super isolation) - I have a 5meter usb cable connected to AGD setup, because this BIG setup needs its own location, and it does not sound degrading at all compared to a USB cable that is 14 times more expensive(1.5m SR USB ACTIVE SE)

Still not trying to sell you the HE-9 LE....But I can not help myself being honest.

Long story short. If you have plans for AGD setup in the future I can recommend it with TT2 as the HE-9 LE has so many features. Not only beating the Ferrum OOR and iFi iCAN SIG with classes over(on TT2). It has a preamp mode also:

Features
1. 5 inputs - XLR,XLR,RCA,RCA,ACSS
2. ACSS is a better technology than standard XLR - better sound yes
3. Preamp mode for active speakers or power amp etc.
4. Very powerful PSU design, that responds with speed, beautiful transparency, and still adds some analog-sweetness.

...many more pros to mention

There is absolutely nothing that can beat this amp in its price range and ALOT over. Im so excited to connect TT2 with the COAX and have best of both worlds in one setup. dS and R2R
Thanks so much for this thoughtful response as well. Space is my issue on both sides of the Atlantic- here in US I have a very small desktop in a quite small office. But if that should change HE-9 LE sounds like it could be a good option.

Mar 9, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #17,631 of 18,906
Thanks so much for this thoughtful response as well. Space is my issue on both sides of the Atlantic- here in US I have a very small desktop in a quite small office. But if that should change HE-9 LE sounds like it could be a good option.
HE-9 LE is a beast. Its no joke. I wish I had the courage to recommend you using the XLR outs and using the TT2 as an AIO solution like @ra990 recommended. If you are only using the TT2 as DAC, it might be the best start for Susvara.

EDIT: I have not tried this solution, and I think I will some day. I did not have the time to look for an adapter.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #17,632 of 18,906
Has anyone compared TT2 to DAVE using Dual BNC inputs?

It is my understanding that when fed 705/768KHz using DBNC, Chord DACs bypass their own upsampler, negating one of the major differences between the two DACs.
I came to this comparison after finding out that upsampling in HQPlayer blows native DAVE DSP out of the water.
It manifests itself in a wider soundstage and a 3D-like imaging (DAVE on its own is a bit flat).
In what DAVE excels is in reproducing transients, which makes it sound a bit harsher, but more lifelike.

Anyhow, after realizing that I unquestionably prefer the overall SQ of the HQPlayer, I started to wonder about the value of DAVE in my setup.

Long story short, I am now comparing TT2 vs DAVE with HQPlayer upsampling to the max freq and finding TT2 is better to my ears.
Imaging-wise, both sound similar, but TT2 sound is lusher, more musical, more analog-like.
The base is also fuller and more pleasant.

Could it be that the analog section of TT2 is superior to the one in DAVE?
I am seriously considering "downgrading" DAVE to improve my SQ :wink:

I forgot to mention that my setup is a full stereo, with DAVE connected to the Luxman integrated driving Sonus Faber Olympica Novas.
I see you had a TT2 already and sold.

I understand your points as i also compared those intensively. TT2's amp section is better powered and makes it have better grip on HP's. Giving meatier fuller sound
20230108_141625.jpg

TT2 served as a example goal to modify my Dave's amp power feed. Now i enjoy best of both which lifted Dave to another league.. with and without Mscaler.

If youre not minding a modification to your Dave.. you could try that (link in my signature)

Mar 10, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #17,633 of 18,906

I understand your points as i also compared those intensively. TT2's amp section is better powered and makes it have better grip on HP's. Giving meatier fuller sound

TT2 served as a example goal to modify my Dave's amp power feed. Now i enjoy best of both which lifted Dave to another league.. with and without Mscaler.

If youre not minding a modification to your Dave.. you could try that (link in my signature)
no words. speechless. I have always been curious about dave and hms.

Im not gonna hide the fact of the beauty/project under the DAVE. Alot of respect to you!!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #17,634 of 18,906

20230108_141625.jpg

Love the AK 120 there...still have mine and use while travelling, its a keeper.

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #17,635 of 18,906
Love the AK 120 there...still have mine and use while travelling, its a keeper.
It was my first high end portable.. laggy UI, no streaming but good double Wolfson sound, optical in/out and best AK formfactor ive seen

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #17,636 of 18,906
Hi All
TT2/HMS user here. Stellia for headphones, Pass Labs integrated and Focal Kanta 2 for speakers. Innuos Zen MK3 for source.

I’ve always been happy running TT2 in DAC mode into the Pass Labs, but this morning I thought, just for kicks, running the TT2 in AMP mode and running its volume around -7dB to get a little more use of middle of the Pass Labs’ volume control. Pop tracks used to run around 28 on the volume control but with this change I’m up around 40 (max is 63).

To my surprise the sound is very much a meatier, flesh on the bone sound, with no loss of detail but a big increase to natural acoustic where appropriate (on orchestral and live recordings).

So, could the 5V out on the XLR have been overdriving the Pass Labs input? Is the now lower output giving the preamp section more room to work its magic? Or is the integrated just better sounding in the middle of its range?

Any experience to share? @Rob Watts? I’m grateful for any information.
Cheers
Mick

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #17,637 of 18,906

I tried both and to me DAVE is better in every way. I never found DAVE "flat" or harsh, there must be something in your chain doing that, to me DAVE is extremely fast and non fatiguing at all, then again I use Parasound JC amps and a completely analog preamp plus Persona speakers. I don't use headphones.

Mar 11, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #17,638 of 18,906
I tried both and to me DAVE is better in every way. I never found DAVE "flat" or harsh, there must be something in your chain doing that, to me DAVE is extremely fast and non fatiguing at all, then again I use Parasound JC amps and a completely analog preamp plus Persona speakers. I don't use headphones.
There was not much of a chain. Just my hp direct out of both.
Ofc Dave dont sound harsch in stock form and trumps in matter of resolution and depth.

But TT2 has fuller texture and body which became clear in A-B comparison on my HP all cause of its superior internal psu section.
So i focused on improving that part of Dave with impressive results.

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #17,639 of 18,906
It was my first high end portable.. laggy UI, no streaming but good double Wolfson sound, optical in/out and best AK formfactor ive seen
YES, Fully agree...I do love it despite its UI shortcomings etc, keeper for sure...

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #17,640 of 18,906
Hi All
TT2/HMS user here. Stellia for headphones, Pass Labs integrated and Focal Kanta 2 for speakers. Innuos Zen MK3 for source.

I’ve always been happy running TT2 in DAC mode into the Pass Labs, but this morning I thought, just for kicks, running the TT2 in AMP mode and running its volume around -7dB to get a little more use of middle of the Pass Labs’ volume control. Pop tracks used to run around 28 on the volume control but with this change I’m up around 40 (max is 63).

To my surprise the sound is very much a meatier, flesh on the bone sound, with no loss of detail but a big increase to natural acoustic where appropriate (on orchestral and live recordings).

So, could the 5V out on the XLR have been overdriving the Pass Labs input? Is the now lower output giving the preamp section more room to work its magic? Or is the integrated just better sounding in the middle of its range?

Any experience to share? @Rob Watts? I’m grateful for any information.
Cheers
Mick
Yes the optimum sound quality depends upon the amp. Some amps are easily overloaded with 3v output - overloaded meaning it's not clipping, but the distortion is higher and so it sounds harder. That's why I added 3 voltage settings on Qutest, so people could set the optimum value. Which is the best setting depends upon the amp being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back