Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 11, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #17,326 of 18,905
Is anyone using the TT2 with the HD800s? I tried it briefly a couple of days ago and didn't like the pair, everything sounds a bit sterile.
I'm not concerned as I the ZMF Atrium has taken in its place in my rotation, but the same Atrium (dynamic with similar impedance) works great with it. I guess it's the headphones flaw, but I never experienced it before with the FA-12, I thought the Sennheiser was fine.
It works. I have a pair. Decent sound and the TT2+mScaler resolves brilliantly with a telling HP like the 800s
But the w7 FF2 tube sound with the HD800s works wonders. Musicality just oozes out that chain.
PC>toslinked mscaler >dBNCed TT2>RCAed FF2> HD800s.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #17,327 of 18,905
Is anyone using the TT2 with the HD800s? I tried it briefly a couple of days ago and didn't like the pair, everything sounds a bit sterile.
I'm not concerned as I the ZMF Atrium has taken in its place in my rotation, but the same Atrium (dynamic with similar impedance) works great with it. I guess it's the headphones flaw, but I never experienced it before with the FA-12, I thought the Sennheiser was fine.

HD800 itself is an icon of sterile headphone. Of course on certain system the sterile may become much less, but as a headphone, when you compare it to market in general, HD800 is definitely at sterile side.

Personally I prefer Verite than Atrium when direct TT2. I feel the more transparent Verite has better synergy than Atrium.

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #17,328 of 18,905
It is not the headphones neither the TT2's 'flaw'. It is about pairing, synergy and the sound you are used to/like/expect.

The HD800s can use a bit of a warmer amp with thicker body to the sound. A bit of colouration as they say in the Chord camp. :)
The TT2 is an absolutely fantastic device. It's transparency, detail retrieval, micro dynamics, 3D spatial placement are exceptional. That said, it can sound a bit thin and too neutral depending on where you are coming from and what you are looking for.

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #17,329 of 18,905
Try this on TT2:
FIL3 and XPHD 0

If you are using mediaplayer that supports ASIO/VST:
Softube saturationknob or other tape/summing vst. I can not recommend tube vst.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #17,332 of 18,905
image.jpg
May I suggest trying the Xlr outputs into the HD800S.
👍.

Nov 11, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #17,333 of 18,905
Thanks for the replies! I will try them again before putting them for sale, with various filters too. They are so comfy!
Be shure to try snap on a set of leather (thicker) cushions.. it really boosts the low end giving a fuller sound..

20221111_222111.jpg

Nov 11, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #17,335 of 18,905
Be shure to try snap on a set of leather (thicker) cushions.. it really boosts the low end giving a fuller sound..

20221111_222111.jpg
Are those Dekoni pads?

Nov 12, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #17,336 of 18,905
Nov 12, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #17,337 of 18,905
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #17,338 of 18,905
It is not the headphones neither the TT2's 'flaw'. It is about pairing, synergy and the sound you are used to/like/expect.

The HD800s can use a bit of a warmer amp with thicker body to the sound. A bit of colouration as they say in the Chord camp. :)
The TT2 is an absolutely fantastic device. It's transparency, detail retrieval, micro dynamics, 3D spatial placement are exceptional. That said, it can sound a bit thin and too neutral depending on where you are coming from and what you are looking for.

So Pegasus + GSX Mini deliver stronger impact and thicker body I presume? Pegasus is in my curious list actually.

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #17,339 of 18,905
So Pegasus + GSX Mini deliver stronger impact and thicker body I presume? Pegasus is in my curious list actually.
Yes, they do. The preference depends on where you have your priorities. The TT2 is better in certain things, this combo is stronger in some others.
The price difference is also something that can't be ignored. And the personal usage scenario, or personal budget... It is all very subjective.

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #17,340 of 18,905
Need advice regarding what’s the best way to use the TT2/Mscaler with external amp. I have seen here comments that we should use high gain in amp mode because of not having a resistor in the path . But I have been testing high and low and think I prefer low… but now having a problem with some headphones on mid gain on my Ferrum Oor as i have to go to 3 o’clock on the knob … if I use high gain on the oor to compensate I feel to sound becomes to forward and aggressive….

So from the TT2 should I use high or low gain for best quality with an external amp ?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back