Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 4, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #17,296 of 18,905
I own Grado HF-3 with Senns HD414 pads.

Turblent Labs Dark Rosewood cups. Alessandro MS1 drivers 4.4mm earphonediy pads.

GS3000e knock off cups with SR125i drivers 4.4mm soft after market pads.

My advice would be don’t spend too much money on stock Grado headphones.
You can make you own far cheaper.
The drivers are nearly identical even years apart.
The enclosure and pads you use will have more of an effect on the sound.
Pick up a cheap pair and start modding.
Beware it’s along slippery slope.😀

There’s plenty of information around on Head-Fi and other sites.

Enjoy your audition today 👍.
Nice setup, I can see a pentaconn connector in your pics. Do you know about any suitable "Pentacon to double XLR adapter on the market" for the tt2?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #17,297 of 18,905
I own Grado HF-3 with Senns HD414 pads.

Turblent Labs Dark Rosewood cups. Alessandro MS1 drivers 4.4mm earphonediy pads.

GS3000e knock off cups with SR125i drivers 4.4mm soft after market pads.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

My advice would be don’t spend too much money on stock Grado headphones.
You can make you own far cheaper.
The drivers are nearly identical even years apart.
The enclosure and pads you use will have more of an effect on the sound.
Pick up a cheap pair and start modding.
Beware it’s along slippery slope.😀

There’s plenty of information around on Head-Fi and other sites.

Enjoy your audition today 👍.
Wow very good info there. Thanks!🙏

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #17,298 of 18,905
Nice setup, I can see a pentaconn connector in your pics. Do you know about any suitable "Pentacon to double XLR adapter on the market" for the tt2?

I just use dual xlr to 4 pin xlr cable from TT2 then 4 pin xlr to female 4.4mm extension lead.
If you want pre made cables I can suggest Skyaudio cables.
There on eBay and there prices are very reasonable.

I only use the stock cable on the Headfi HF-3 because it’s quite a rare headphone.
Don’t really want to muck around with them.
All the other Gradoish headphones are 4.4mm balanced as it’s becoming more popular now.
I also can’t stand the stock Grado cable .
It’s as tow rope.
Totally unfit for its designed use.
I also laugh at the fact Grado charges £200 for a xlr connection.

Enough of off topic now sorry.🙏

Enjoy your TT2 guys.

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #17,299 of 18,905
That is true for pretty much all DACs and amps.
Maybe true, but then I got my TT2 I thought that it would be fine with leaving it in standby as some of my other gear. In reality it takes a long time before the TT2 sound at it's best so my recommendation is to try after it has been on for a whole day and see/hear for yourself :)

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #17,300 of 18,905
Maybe true, but then I got my TT2 I thought that it would be fine with leaving it in standby as some of my other gear. In reality it takes a long time before the TT2 sound at it's best so my recommendation is to try after it has been on for a whole day and see/hear for yourself :)
this morning when I left home for work (8 am) I left my tt2 on along with the sources, all day has passed, and when I return home at night I will start my Friday audition (the favorite)

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #17,301 of 18,905
@Roybenz, considering those two points of @realmassy would be worthwhile... Trying the XLR's of the TT2 would help you to evaluate how much "character" your 430had is adding to the sound. Also you may try using different digital sources.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simaudio-moon-neo-430ha.20534/reviews

This two reviews seem very contradictory, but they may help you as a reference.
I have compared with SE out of both - tt2 vs 430had. And the difference is small. tt2 is kind of more forward and rounded only noticeable in some tracks, and 430had is a tad softer with more resolution in a way. Hard to describe. Could anyone describe what you get from 3pin xlr vs SE on tt2?

On 430had the 4 pin xlr have more power out and doesn’t make the sound as rounded as the SE does. SE sounds more warmer in a way. Maybe it’s the same with TT2 going from SE to 3pin xlr ?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #17,302 of 18,905
this morning when I left home for work (8 am) I left my tt2 on along with the sources, all day has passed, and when I return home at night I will start my Friday audition (the favorite)
Escuchaste alguna diferencia?

Nov 5, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #17,303 of 18,905
I haven’t updated my impressions on the TT2, I’m lazy sorry! Lots of things to try, the SRC DX converter + HQPlayer vs PI2AES optical, various filters, crossfeed…but I wanted to write something about the pairing with the 64 Audio U6T IEMs. They sound absolutely incredible: very realistic timbre, super fast and tight bass and tons of dynamic. A real W.T.F. moment when I tried them on the first time. I didn’t know they could sound so good.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #17,304 of 18,905
I haven’t updated my impressions on the TT2, I’m lazy sorry! Lots of things to try, the SRC DX converter + HQPlayer vs PI2AES optical, various filters, crossfeed…but I wanted to write something about the pairing with the 64 Audio U6T IEMs. They sound absolutely incredible: very realistic timbre, super fast and tight bass and tons of dynamic. A real W.T.F. moment when I tried them on the first time. I didn’t know they could sound so good.
64Audio and TT2 is great synergy. Fourte for me. I hardly pick up the headphones.

Nov 5, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #17,305 of 18,905
I wish they were more comfortable, I can’t really keep them in my ears for more than 20 minutes unfortunately. But I agree, as far as sound is concerned they are not behind my other headphones…can only imagine how good the Forte are!

Nov 5, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #17,306 of 18,905
I have compared with SE out of both - tt2 vs 430had. And the difference is small. tt2 is kind of more forward and rounded only noticeable in some tracks, and 430had is a tad softer with more resolution in a way. Hard to describe. Could anyone describe what you get from 3pin xlr vs SE on tt2?

On 430had the 4 pin xlr have more power out and doesn’t make the sound as rounded as the SE does. SE sounds more warmer in a way. Maybe it’s the same with TT2 going from SE to 3pin xlr ?
Major diff between SE and XLR is as per spec below, basically a lot more headroom in gain and worthwhile for the Susvara, have compered both and difficult to pinpoint any SQ diff, takes 30 sec to switch so moment is lost so to say to do a direct comparison......myself use the Susvara via XLR and with my Stealth I do both.....
Output power (unbalanced)
(@1% THD) 288 mW RMS 300Ω; 7.3 W RMS 8Ω

Output power (balanced)
(@1% THD) 1.15 W RMS 300Ω; 18W RMS 8Ω

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #17,307 of 18,905
Major diff between SE and XLR is as per spec below, basically a lot more headroom in gain and worthwhile for the Susvara, have compered both and difficult to pinpoint any SQ diff, takes 30 sec to switch so moment is lost so to say to do a direct comparison......myself use the Susvara via XLR and with my Stealth I do both.....
Output power (unbalanced)
(@1% THD) 288 mW RMS 300Ω; 7.3 W RMS 8Ω

Output power (balanced)
(@1% THD) 1.15 W RMS 300Ω; 18W RMS 8Ω
When you go balanced out, you get four times the power of SE according to the book, until you hit max-current limit.
That is true for any equipment .
Take a closer look:
288mW vs 1.15W (@1% distortion) that is 4 times.
However for max out for 8ohm, you hit current limit, so 18W is not four times 7.3W.
Simple calculation means, you get about 2.5W max (1.4W @1%) on SE for Susvara and about 10W max on balanced (5.7W @1%).
Question is, at what point enough is enough?
As I said before, if a humble Hugo2 could drive Susvara to reasonable levels, How much more do we really need?
BTW, quoted sensitivity for Susvara is 83dB for 1mW.
it means 113dB at 1W!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #17,309 of 18,905
what happens is that I have been carrying out this procedure for more than a year, I always listen to my TT2 preheated
I just leave it on.

Nov 8, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #17,310 of 18,905
Request for ideas / suggestions.

I recently headed back to music and treated myself to headphone system. Meze Elite, TT2 and MScaler.

Whilst generally exceedingly happy, I have been plagued with an irritating hum / buzz that occurs if my ears touch the inner grill of the phones. After discussion with Chord, this is some sort of ground loop that can happen with phones that have not insulated / isolated the inner grill. There are a number of ways I can remove the hum:
  • lift the phones slightly from my head (ear no longer contacting the inner grill)
  • gound myself by touching the amp case
  • Use the alcantara ear pads (deeper so ear no longer touching)
  • ground myself by touching anything earthed
None of the above seem like an ideal solution, so thought I would enquire here to see if there are any other suggestions.

PS - Chord have been very helpful in narrowing this down, and indeed stated this has been seen before, in early audeze phones, but that was addressed. I have contacted meze but as yet have not had a response.

PPS - same issue with a Hugo 2, no issue with other phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back