Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 3, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #17,266 of 18,907
I do hear like a 5-10% difference maybe depending of which track. TT2 sounds a tiny bit more rounded and vocals does come a little more forward, it sounds kind of more calm on some tracks. I do prefer it to the 430had internal dac. But i don’t think it’s worth $5500 since I already got the 430had.

Remember I had the qutest couple of years ago, with rca cables into the 430had, and the difference then was almost not noticeable either, it had a tiny bit more rounded sound. Price wise the qutest is maybe a better value. Since I don’t need the amp in TT2.

Changing from stock cable on susvara to Heimdall 2 Cable is almost more noticeable than changing dac.
Have you tried the optical input of your TT2 and 420had to make a comparison?
If your digital source is too noisy (Mac USB may fit the bill), it can produce a big impact to the sound and also minimize differences between DACs while degrading the performance. (not only speaking about chord products).
Liking the TT2 or not is a valid choice depending on preferences and synergy between gear.
However, the components that you are comparing are high quality products, designed under very different architectures. Maybe the 430HAD (ESS9018K2M) could be an exception, but off-the-shelf DACs usually have a different sound signature compared to Chord products.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #17,267 of 18,907
I can send it back. Was hoping for an upgrade in sound- with a more expensive dac, but now I don’t know what to expect or what to try next.

Tried the rme adi 2 fs and Vega g2.1, no upgrade with those. Also had the Moon 680D. It was kind of on same level as TT2,
Well, maybe you should just keep enjoying your 430HAD then.
Alternatively in your shoes I would probably try some better R2R DACs like the Denafrips Terminator, Rockna Wavelight, Musician Aquarius or similar.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #17,268 of 18,907
Agree with trying R2R DACs. It's been six months since I got Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE. I planned to keep one of TT2 or S3KTE, but they sound really different, so I still can't choose! So maybe this is the way to go if you want to hear something new.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #17,269 of 18,907
I can send it back. Was hoping for an upgrade in sound- with a more expensive dac, but now I don’t know what to expect or what to try next.

Tried the rme adi 2 fs and Vega g2.1, no upgrade with those. Also had the Moon 680D. It was kind of on same level as TT2,
If you have tried Vega g2.1 and did not feel the obvious differences, than maybe your approach is an addition to the 430HAD(not the TT2)

When I bought TT2 I thought I was gonna be sent to the moon by the hype of this DAC. Its good, most critics call it dry. But I feel its more musical than anything else. The FPGA chip, does make it feel. like Chord tried to emphasize a cute "compressor" to the signature. What do I mean? listen to the upper lows, the low mids. This is really noticeable in low level listening. I especially like this.

Short said if you have a good DAC now, you should really try other stuff before buying it.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #17,270 of 18,907
I do hear like a 5-10% difference maybe depending of which track. TT2 sounds a tiny bit more rounded and vocals does come a little more forward, it sounds kind of more calm on some tracks. I do prefer it to the 430had internal dac. But i don’t think it’s worth $5500 since I already got the 430had.

Remember I had the qutest couple of years ago, with rca cables into the 430had, and the difference then was almost not noticeable either, it had a tiny bit more rounded sound. Price wise the qutest is maybe a better value. Since I don’t need the amp in TT2.

Changing from stock cable on susvara to Heimdall 2 Cable is almost more noticeable than changing dac.
Funny, I brought the Qutest home for a demo and it never left. It trashed all the other DACs i tried including the Oppo BDP105 which i still have. Then again, I have really revealing speakers with a great preamp and amplifier, the difference was striking and it still is. The Chord is better in every way. To me it's so worth it.

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #17,271 of 18,907
another thing I have noticed about the TT2 is the heat/warm

USB cable/AMP mode makes it hotter/warner noticeably

In optical/OPT1 mode AMP mode is alot colder. In OPT1/DAC mode it is not as close as warm as the USB cable/AMP

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #17,272 of 18,907
Agree with trying R2R DACs. It's been six months since I got Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE. I planned to keep one of TT2 or S3KTE, but they sound really different, so I still can't choose! So maybe this is the way to go if you want to hear something new.
@smutnyjoe just keep both dacs. Rockna Wavelight has been to big to fit on my desk so I went with M-Scaler + TT2 and kept Rockna for another system. Can't tell you how happy I am :) Due to clarity of TT2 it is always brillaint dac for critical listening of new tracks so it is a keeper for me despite the fact that for longer sessions I do prefer WL.

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #17,273 of 18,907
Strange indeed that you can’t hear differences, Chord dac have definitely something different from anything else I tried in the past (and I tried maaaany DACs). I remember I demoed the Hugo 2 two years ago and didn’t like it at all, it wasn’t a good match with the HEDD headphones, very in your face sound. But it was easy to distinguish.

I’m wondering if the bottleneck is somewhere else: are you using the Moon as dac and amp? And which cans are you driving?

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #17,274 of 18,907
Strange indeed that you can’t hear differences, Chord dac have definitely something different from anything else I tried in the past (and I tried maaaany DACs). I remember I demoed the Hugo 2 two years ago and didn’t like it at all, it wasn’t a good match with the HEDD headphones, very in your face sound. But it was easy to distinguish.

I’m wondering if the bottleneck is somewhere else: are you using the Moon as dac and amp? And which cans are you driving?
IMac - Heimdall usb- quobuz Roon. I’m using hd800s and susvara. Comparing tt2 dac (chord epic xlr to 430had) against 430had dac and 430had as amp. And compared tt2 in amp mode as pre for 430had. And compared both separate units Tt2 against 430had just switching headphone between them. Only 6,3. Since tt2 doesn’t have 4pin xlr. (430 had is better with 4pin xlr than 6,3)

The 680D has mind 2 streamer and Vega G 2.1 had streamer. I couldn’t hear any difference between usb and streamer when testing them.

Tried several ways to A-B but there is such a small difference. A bit frustrated to be honest.

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #17,275 of 18,907
another thing I have noticed about the TT2 is the heat/warm

USB cable/AMP mode makes it hotter/warner noticeably

In optical/OPT1 mode AMP mode is alot colder. In OPT1/DAC mode it is not as close as warm as the USB cable/AMP

The most important lesson for me was that the TT2 has to warm up to sound at it best, and the difference between a cold and warmed up T2 in SQ, was not small.

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #17,276 of 18,907
The 680D has mind 2 streamer and Vega G 2.1 had streamer. I couldn’t hear any difference between usb and streamer when testing them
And this is another strange thing: I'm sure the 430had is a great sounding unit, but maybe its amp is not as transparent? Have you got access to another amp, just to rule it out?

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #17,277 of 18,907
And this is another strange thing: I'm sure the 430had is a great sounding unit, but maybe its amp is not as transparent? Have you got access to another amp, just to rule it out?
I would say that 430 HAD isn't lacking in transparency. It's a bit too soft/laid back sounding for my taste thou.

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #17,278 of 18,907
Maybe because of its soft nature it hides the differences between the DACs you connect to it

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #17,279 of 18,907
Maybe because of its soft nature it hides the differences between the DACs you connect to it
I have tested 430HAD with the 380D as well and had no problem hearing it sounded better, but the sound was still to laid back IMO.

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #17,280 of 18,907
The most important lesson for me was that the TT2 has to warm up to sound at it best, and the difference between a cold and warmed up T2 in SQ, was not small.
Sorry I was not talking about the sound but physical/touching the TT2.

But you are 100% right. It needs atleast 30-60min warm up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back