Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 25, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #16,051 of 19,009
I just read Rob Watts response. He says 3L or -3H. Anything higher should cause some distortion.
Only with a full amplitude signal. And I'm pretty sure it's a bit higher than +3 on high gain. See this and this post.

Rob says: "So with CDs, you can't go above +7H, as it's likely to clip."

And

"For high gain setting it is +7H when clipping will occur with 0dBFS."

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #16,052 of 19,009
Only with a full amplitude signal. And I'm pretty sure it's a bit higher than +3 on high gain. See this and this post.

Rob says: "So with CDs, you can't go above +7H, as it's likely to clip."

And

"For high gain setting it is +7H when clipping will occur with 0dBFS."
Appreciate the info.

Mar 26, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #16,053 of 19,009
@Rob Watts

My understanding is that you are running your B&W 803D off the SE outputs of the TT2 due to being the most transparent. If you owned the Susvaras would you also be using the SE outputs on high gain, rear xlrs or a power amp? Thanks.

Mar 27, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #16,054 of 19,009
@Rob Watts

My understanding is that you are running your B&W 803D off the SE outputs of the TT2 due to being the most transparent. If you owned the Susvaras would you also be using the SE outputs on high gain, rear xlrs or a power amp? Thanks.
Susvara needing a power amp like ahb2 in high gain is a myth propagated by many without any reason. If you put ahb2 in high gain it provides 100w RMS with 2v input. So either you wil fry your susvara or you will be using only fraction of tt2 output into ahb2.

Mar 27, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #16,055 of 19,009
Hi everyone, I am planning to get the Audeze LCD-5 with my TT2/MScaler. Is anyone using this setup and what’s your experience with it?

I also read somewhere that there is ground loop noise when using LCD-5 with TT2. Is this a known issue and if so is there a workaround solution to it?

Mar 27, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #16,056 of 19,009
@Rob Watts

If I were to use Susvara I would stick to SE outputs as 95dB SPL is easily more than enough volume for me. Anything over 80dB for long periods will damage your hearing. The balanced OP (XLRs) would give 101 dB SPL. I would never use an additional amp for headphones - if a headphone needs the colouration of an added amp, it is because the headphone is poor, so get better headphones, not ones that people rate as being high end.

Mar 27, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #16,057 of 19,009
I am one of the longest time user of ahb2 ( since around 2014 ) with different dacs, incidentally Hugo 1 to now tt2 with m scaler. I have always used ahb2 in low gain and my chord dacs never required to go beyond light blue colour output, even when tt2 was also in low gain . Earlier I used kef r300 and now wharfedale evo 4.2. this volume setting as per calculations results in 10 to 20w output of ahb2. So this volume and power issue is highly overrated by most audiophiles, who end up coloring the sound by using high powered amps unnecessarily, which causes heavy attenuation of source output, as most of the time they use only a small fraction of amp power for day to day listening levels . Ahb2's variable gain allows one to maximize the output of source which is one of the greatest trait of ahb2 i would say.

Mar 27, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #16,058 of 19,009
I would never use an additional amp for headphones - if a headphone needs the colouration of an added amp, it is because the headphone is poor, so get better headphones, not ones that people rate as being high end.
@Rob Watts, personally I prefer the colouration of an added fully balanced amplifier with my headphones more so than their sound out of the TT2 alone. To my ears the presentation is more open, less clinical, and more fun to listen to. Is there something that I’m missing, or is my preference just one of personal taste?

Mar 27, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #16,059 of 19,009
@Rob Watts, personally I prefer the colouration of an added fully balanced amplifier with my headphones more so than their sound out of the TT2 alone. To my ears the presentation is more open, less clinical, and more fun to listen to. Is there something that I’m missing, or is my preference just one of personal taste?
Try a flat frequency response headphone like r70x

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #16,060 of 19,009
If it helps for a relative comparison, with dynamic classical music I run TT2 at the following volumes with.......

HD820 = -18
Diana Phi = -10
Abyss Phi TC = -5
Susvara = -3
Through SE high gain?

Mar 28, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #16,062 of 19,009
@Currawong great review. You are really tempting me to give DAVE a try.

BTW, the 10-15 seconds TT2 takes when you unplug headphones is to switch from high gain to low gain. If you don't use DAC mode (which is fixed at low gain), and run AMP mode on high gain, then theres no delay between the switch from headphones (high gain) to preamp (high gain).

Mar 28, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #16,064 of 19,009

Users who are viewing this thread

Back