Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 10, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #14,776 of 18,895
Well guys, I have sold the farm so to speak. I am trading in almost all my current gear to get a pair of speakers I have lusted after since I first saw and heard them. Kharma DB 7’s. Unfortunately my streamer, Mscaler, and TT2 are all part of my trade in.
I am retaining my Nagra integrated, but my source for now will be a Teac PD 501 HR cd/DSD player and my Thinkpad Laptop.
I got the dealer to at least throw in a Dac, so I can use the Laptop to play my stored music, plus Tidal.
He agreed to throw in a Mojo, but i am having second thoughts about it because of the tiny connections, battery etc.
I may try a Musical fidelity MX-DAC, which has Regular size inputs and outputs until I can afford a Dave😉.
The only 2 photos I could find of the Aubergine color online, I will post….what have I done.
All ways love the sound of that speaker, enjoy

Sep 10, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #14,780 of 18,895
Thank you, and how do you configure that? I can't work it out from the manual. User error no doubt! :D
Click the settings menu button and scroll through the options to find it

Sep 10, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #14,782 of 18,895
I will hopefully be spending some time with a Hugo TT 2 at home with a view to buying if it is to my liking. I was wondering: at which gain setting should I use for Utopia?

I assumed low, or does it not matter?
Always use high gain unless you are connecting to super sensitive IEMs or need to limit output to a sensitive power amp. High gain is the most direct path and low gain will add a resistor to the path, according to Rob Watts.

Sep 10, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #14,784 of 18,895
they sound... awful to me.
Not my experience, I owned them for around six months, but have just traded them in as part of a package for my dream speaker.(see above). I used a Naim ND5XS2>DC1(BNC) cable>Mscaler>Wave BNC’s>TT2>XLR outs>Nagra integrated and they sound wonderful. One of the best bang for buck speakers I have owned, with plenty of detail, and surprising amounts of bass for the size of them and their single driver. Some people must just prefer sub-like bass, but that will not happen with a tiny moniter.

Sep 10, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #14,785 of 18,895
All ways love the sound of that speaker, enjoy
Thank you, I actually have not heard them yet, just their little brother…the S7’s. I am picking them up tomorrow, so it feels like Christmas Eve as a child again.😍

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #14,787 of 18,895
As happy I am about the upgrade in speakers, I am expecting a downgrade in source until I can afford something better. Anyone have advice with regards to streaming from my Laptop? I will be using Jriver for my local music, I have a Tidal subscription, and will be using USB out of the Laptop to a Musical Fidelity MX Dac for now. I have used dedicated streamers for the last 6 years, so I am hoping using my Laptop will surprise me.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #14,788 of 18,895
Hi, @Rob Watts ,

I recently got opportunity to try TT2 straight to KEF LS50 meta. They are 85db 8ohm.
I use SE headphone jack. I wonder if down at +0H at high Gain volume level comes that around 7w ouput?
Also is it safe to increase to +10H for example?

Thank you

So +0H would give you about 2.25W into 8 ohms; you need +7H to give you 7W at 0dBFS.

As to +10H it depends upon the source. So with CDs, you can't go above +7H, as it's likely to clip. But if you stream video, or use Blu ray sources, you can comfortably go to +12H, as there is often a 6dB overload margin built into the audio signal. Indeed one streaming service I use I am occasionally at +18H with no clipping into my B&W 803D3s.

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #14,790 of 18,895
Well guys, I have sold the farm so to speak. I am trading in almost all my current gear to get a pair of speakers I have lusted after since I first saw and heard them. Kharma DB 7’s. Unfortunately my streamer, Mscaler, and TT2 are all part of my trade in.
I am retaining my Nagra integrated, but my source for now will be a Teac PD 501 HR cd/DSD player and my Thinkpad Laptop.
I got the dealer to at least throw in a Dac, so I can use the Laptop to play my stored music, plus Tidal.
He agreed to throw in a Mojo, but i am having second thoughts about it because of the tiny connections, battery etc.
I may try a Musical fidelity MX-DAC, which has Regular size inputs and outputs until I can afford a Dave😉.
The only 2 photos I could find of the Aubergine color online, I will post….what have I done.
Those are absolutely beautiful speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back