Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 10, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #15,811 of 19,009
Who knows of a small, but decent, pair of active bookshelf speakers that can easily be driven by the TT2?

Feb 10, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #15,812 of 19,009
Feb 10, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #15,813 of 19,009
@jarnopp, thank you very much. I was looking for something that wasn’t quite as expensive as the KEF LS50’s, which are quite nice too, but something not really necessary for someone like me who does most of my music listening through headphones.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #15,814 of 19,009
@jarnopp, thank you very much. I was looking for something that wasn’t quite as expensive as the KEF LS50’s, which are quite nice too, but something not really necessary for someone like me who does most of my music listening through headphones.
@bpcans I'm currently at the same boat as you. BTW KEF LS50s sounded quite muffled, limited and exhausting to me with TT2 and Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ with Mytek AMP+. Still looking for something small and easy to drive for some background listening when I am working for example and I cannot use headphones.

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #15,815 of 19,009
Who knows of a small, but decent, pair of active bookshelf speakers that can easily be driven by the TT2?
Doesn’t active mean they have built in amplifiers so drive power is not required? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Feb 10, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #15,817 of 19,009
You are correct. Just use the signal from XLR and the speakers are powered from amp. Don’t know why people still want to risk powering off the TT2 for speakers.
Thanks for confirming. I use Audioengine A5+ active speakers from the rca on my TT(1) for nearfield listening. The vol ball is green (not sure what voltage that is) and volume adjusted on the A5+.

Feb 10, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #15,818 of 19,009
Thanks for confirming. I use Audioengine A5+ active speakers from the rca on my TT(1) for nearfield listening. The vol ball is green (not sure what voltage that is) and volume adjusted on the A5+.
You can use DAC mode so you don’t have to worry about the volume from the TT2. That’s how i use connecting to my Riviera AIC-10.

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #15,819 of 19,009

Dynaudio make some stunning speakers. They also make some active ones, but I think their actives have digital imputs too. Unlikley you would use the DACs in them though, so it seems a waste of money for that. Unless your TT2 wasn't always connencted to some active speakers. They review well.

Maybe look across their ranges.

Dynaudio also make some studio monitors called I think LYDD. I think those are active with no digital input. Speculating that they are neutral response near-field monitors. If I recall right, they have switch tone control for placement near a wall. ... In the £350 to £800 range roughly.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #15,820 of 19,009
I had a look around for active speakers to pair with my TT2 or, more likely, with the new Mojo2. Be aware that most of them will take the analogue signal coming in through an A/D section before the D/A section that is also used by their digital inputs. From the more recent ones i could only find the Elacs that had an analogue passthrough, there is a review by Darko that also explains a bit more.

Personally, having A/D then D/A kills the motivation for using my Chord dac, i might as well go wireless.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #15,821 of 19,009
I use Dynaudio LYD-5 for my desktop near field setup, they are connected via XLR analog, no digital interface. I use a sub for the additional low, these are a great setup and better than any headphones I have owned or demo'd for around $1200 USD, but they are speakers so..........Anyway point is they are a great kit and if you believe and your ears align with my experiences I have put forth in these pages you would likely be pleased with these too via the XLR outs on the TT2.

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #15,823 of 19,009
Omega have less expensive speakers, passive and very efficient for direct drive, even postage and tax to uk isn’t bad, not sure where you are.

And their custom objects, not mass produced, and you can personalize them too.

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #15,824 of 19,009
I had the neighbor at the door the other night complaining about the music, particularly the bass, it might only have been the bass he could hear. I have the omega sub and it’s strange how the sound can be very good in the listening room, but it’s doing a lot of reverb around the house and even into the detached house next door, and it’s barely turned up.

Anyway, I was listening to aphex twin a lot and anyone who knows him will know he spends a lot of his music in the bass region and it’s amazing.

Question is, for those with the Uber expensive headphones, like abyss or susvara, can they reproduce bass in the same way speakers can?

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #15,825 of 19,009
I had the neighbor at the door the other night complaining about the music, particularly the bass, it might only have been the bass he could hear. I have the omega sub and it’s strange how the sound can be very good in the listening room, but it’s doing a lot of reverb around the house and even into the detached house next door, and it’s barely turned up.

Anyway, I was listening to aphex twin a lot and anyone who knows him will know he spends a lot of his music in the bass region and it’s amazing.

Question is, for those with the Uber expensive headphones, like abyss or susvara, can they reproduce bass in the same way speakers can?
the abyss 1266TC can when properly driven. its like a subwoofer on each ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back