Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 30, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #15,691 of 19,009
Please can anyone help with something I have been trying to figure out? For years really I have been thinking about a second file-source for my TT2. At the moment I use my PC as a file source. I would like another file player that doesn't require my PC to be on.

I'd like something like the Bluesound Node (2021 version), with an attached SSD of music files. I was also looking at a few other options very like that. However I have hit a stumbling block with all these types of players. I use wired internet and keep wifi turned off. I have then recently discovered that all these types of players need router wifi. We have to connect phone (touch control) and Node type streamer to router wifi, then control streamer via wifi.

I thought a phone (or a touch control device like a tablet) would talk directly to the Node streamer. It means I am out of any option that requires wifi for the devices to talk.

I think it means I am limited to only being able to use a laptop for second file source for TT2. It would have been nice to control whatever player with my phone like a remote control. Whereas even something like JRemote (from JRiver) which is phone talking to laptop, has to go through wifi.

Am virtually out of options, unless I compromise and use wifi. If so I would use two-factor-authentification for security. However I am still nervous about using wifi from security point of view. I think it may be a deal breaker. I know it sounds overboard not trusting wifi, but I would be be really happy to hear any other ideas.

I think I will be left with a laptop as my only choice. Again it's tricky because I want a fanless one, plus one that is compatible with Windows 11. Any fanless laptop is likely to not have a powerful enough processor to run Win 11 - I think.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #15,692 of 19,009
I have hit a stumbling block with all these types of players. I use wired internet and keep wifi turned off.

Am virtually out of options, unless I compromise and use wifi.
as long as there’s an Ethernet plugged into it, The node will use wired connection for the music streaming quality. You can verify that by going into the help tab and diagnostics, there won’t be any Wi-Fi listed.

I just tried this and verified. App is still able to discover it via a mesh node. And for what it’s worth, this is one of the strongest wireless cards I’ve ran into car, hasn’t been a problem for me and the YouTuber cheap audio man had similar notes.

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #15,693 of 19,009
Please can anyone help with something I have been trying to figure out? For years really I have been thinking about a second file-source for my TT2. At the moment I use my PC as a file source. I would like another file player that doesn't require my PC to be on.

I'd like something like the Bluesound Node (2021 version), with an attached SSD of music files. I was also looking at a few other options very like that. However I have hit a stumbling block with all these types of players. I use wired internet and keep wifi turned off. I have then recently discovered that all these types of players need router wifi. We have to connect phone (touch control) and Node type streamer to router wifi, then control streamer via wifi.

I thought a phone (or a touch control device like a tablet) would talk directly to the Node streamer. It means I am out of any option that requires wifi for the devices to talk.

I think it means I am limited to only being able to use a laptop for second file source for TT2. It would have been nice to control whatever player with my phone like a remote control. Whereas even something like JRemote (from JRiver) which is phone talking to laptop, has to go through wifi.

Am virtually out of options, unless I compromise and use wifi. If so I would use two-factor-authentification for security. However I am still nervous about using wifi from security point of view. I think it may be a deal breaker. I know it sounds overboard not trusting wifi, but I would be be really happy to hear any other ideas.

I think I will be left with a laptop as my only choice. Again it's tricky because I want a fanless one, plus one that is compatible with Windows 11. Any fanless laptop is likely to not have a powerful enough processor to run Win 11 - I think.
@GreenBow if you want to eliminate need for wifi and have a dedicated digital transport for TT2 with great synergy and one that works out-of-the-box I recommend Lumin. I have Lumin M1 Mini and I am very happy about it. Aside number of different outputs and support for Tidal and other streaming services it connects through ethernet port to your network. You can control it using remote (but this will cost you extra) or you can control it using mobile app. The beauty of the Lumin app is that it also works on Macs with M1 silicon. You can aslo connect M1 Mac like Mac Mini using its ethernet port and you are done. Another option would be to use mobile phone emulator to install Lumin app, but I haven't explore this path myself.

Overall great synergy with M Scaler + HTT2. The const o Lumin U1 Mini is a few time of Bluesound but from the moment I've connected to my system I've never regret this purchase. I'm not saying that there is something wrong with Bluesound, on contrary. Lumin just better suits my case and it seems it could solve your problem too.

Jan 31, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #15,694 of 19,009
@GreenBow if you want to eliminate need for wifi and have a dedicated digital transport for TT2 with great synergy and one that works out-of-the-box I recommend Lumin. I have Lumin M1 Mini and I am very happy about it. Aside number of different outputs and support for Tidal and other streaming services it connects through ethernet port to your network. You can control it using remote (but this will cost you extra) or you can control it using mobile app. The beauty of the Lumin app is that it also works on Macs with M1 silicon. You can aslo connect M1 Mac like Mac Mini using its ethernet port and you are done. Another option would be to use mobile phone emulator to install Lumin app, but I haven't explore this path myself.

Overall great synergy with M Scaler + HTT2. The const o Lumin U1 Mini is a few time of Bluesound but from the moment I've connected to my system I've never regret this purchase. I'm not saying that there is something wrong with Bluesound, on contrary. Lumin just better suits my case and it seems it could solve your problem too.
What's your preffered method of connecting the mscaler and u1?

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #15,695 of 19,009

Think that if you connect Node 2i via ethernet cable it should make wifi redundant, also using Roon connected via ethernet and then USB to DAC will circumvent the wifi from router. Have done both with success, no I am using a an Auralic G1 but using wifi, most stable connection most probably due to internal buffering in the G1 as I have issues with my wifi and routers dropping out at times of heavy traffic... all 3 can be used with external usb ssd for music playback using your phone as remote but you will then be using wifi to control it....G1 has a screen so possibility is to use this one but the app is easier to use....

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #15,696 of 19,009

Do you use Roon or HQPlayer? If you do, consider something like a Raspberry Pi4 with an Allo Digione... either normal or signature with Ropieee XL. It gives you a switchable options of Roon Endpoint or HQPlayer NAA as well as other things. A bit like an Ultrarendu basically. I'm a complete noob when it comes to Pi4 and I found it dead easy to install Ropieee XL on an SD card with Etcher. All in is less than £200 and is tiny so can be hidden anywhere. I use a Power Bank to run it to improve SQ further. I have this attached to a Hugo2 for m downstairs headphone point.

After this, I can also recommend The Auralic G1 which is excellent as well as an OpticalRendu that I use in my main system. The G1 is great if you don't use Roon or HQP etc... has a very good app!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #15,697 of 19,009
Received delivery of a src-dx this morning and I've linked it from my Stack Link 2 to my M Scaler (using stock Chord BNC until better one arrives) but the volume on the TT2 is way, way down. I need to turn up to the max to get decent listening levels...I've set the src-dx to high level as recommended in the manual for Chord dacs. Am I missing something obvious here?

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #15,698 of 19,009
Received delivery of a src-dx this morning and I've linked it from my Stack Link 2 to my M Scaler (using stock Chord BNC until better one arrives) but the volume on the TT2 is way, way down. I need to turn up to the max to get decent listening levels...I've set the src-dx to high level as recommended in the manual for Chord dacs. Am I missing something obvious here?
You need to be able to access the alsa output in the link 2 if possible and set to 100%. Can you force max vol on startup in the link? I worked on this with Dan when src-dx was first introduced. Different streamers have different methods of doing this. I am not familiar with link but their tech support or Dan at audiowize could help.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #15,699 of 19,009
You need to be able to access the alsa output in the link 2 if possible and set to 100%. Can you force max vol on startup in the link? I worked on this with Dan when src-dx was first introduced. Different streamers have different methods of doing this. I am not familiar with link but their tech support or Dan at audiowize could help.
Thanks Progius, I don't appear to have access to the alsa output in the Link 2 or force max volume on start up. I'll reach out to Stack tech support, now I have a lead to follow. Much appreciated!

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #15,700 of 19,009
What's your preffered method of connecting the mscaler and u1?
@barbz127 so far I'm using Lumin and M Scaler usb connection, but I've got U1 Mini only month ago, so I am preparing to switch to optical since everyone else seems to be using it. Hopefully I will have some time to do it this weekend so later I can report my finding if anyone would be interested.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #15,701 of 19,009
Agree with @Toonartist it’a far from turnkey but if you can setup a server (use an old computer) to host your files and then a raspberry pi with allo digione you will have an incredible sounding, flexible and cost effective setup. For software, I recommend Moode Audio for the raspberry pi - free, beautiful interface, and even includes integration with streaming services.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #15,703 of 19,009
I wasn't sure what to expect but it has been such a pleasure to listen to music on. I am glad I made the switched from the Element X to the TT2.

I have heard some people say they like it better with the m-scaler and some without. Considering getting one in the future..
@MoarCoffeePlzzz I think this comes down to very personal preference, especially when there are so many other - including software based - upsampling solutions available today.

Honestly speaking I can not imaging living today with HTT2 alone without AuroraSound HEADA. This amp is a must for TT2 without M Scaler for me. In my case it added a lot more than M Scaler; the M Scaler made sound a bit more smooth mostly and better placed in the space, but I could definitively live without it. So my advice would be to first test different option before adding M Scaler unless budget is not a problem for you.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #15,705 of 19,009

I had a look over the Lumin, but it's not going to be any use I think. It doesn't have onboard storage which I wuld hope for at that price. It's also lots more expensive than I considered. I think given any streamer with bit-perfect output across optical should be identical to any other. Then the Lumin makes no sense for me, unless there is a strongly compelling argument. I suppose the upsampling is that argument, but I always figured on using the M-Scaler one day. ... (I am drooling over the Lumin though, even if it's not for me.)

I'll take a look at the remote control.

Do you use Roon or HQPlayer? If you do, consider something like a Raspberry Pi4 with an Allo Digione... either normal or signature with Ropieee XL. It gives you a switchable options of Roon Endpoint or HQPlayer NAA as well as other things. A bit like an Ultrarendu basically. I'm a complete noob when it comes to Pi4 and I found it dead easy to install Ropieee XL on an SD card with Etcher. All in is less than £200 and is tiny so can be hidden anywhere. I use a Power Bank to run it to improve SQ further. I have this attached to a Hugo2 for m downstairs headphone point.

After this, I can also recommend The Auralic G1 which is excellent as well as an OpticalRendu that I use in my main system. The G1 is great if you don't use Roon or HQP etc... has a very good app!

I don't use Roon or HQPlayer.

I always dismissed the Pi options, because I don't really want to have to make boxes to put them in. I would like whatever player I have to need an optical output too. Not sure the Pi has that, or even much about what the Pi is. I figured it was a cheap small, basic PC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back