Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 21, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #15,422 of 18,905
Quite late to the game but anyone using their TT2 as a DAC/Preamp to feed their electrostatic systems?
I use mine with the iFi iESL and it sounds far better than it did when it was being driven by the iFi Pro iCAN (which it's designed to go with), itself fed by a Hugo 2. Not having even heard an energizer higher up than the iESL, I'd think it would only get better with the TT2 driving the Blue Hawaii or other high end amps/energizers.

Dec 22, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #15,423 of 18,905
Just watched a video on YouTube (pursuit perfect system talking about upgrading the sound of the scaler and dac - Dave in this case but relevant to TT2 also) promoting Wave high fidelity cables which use 20 ferrite rings per cable to remove RFI. What stood out for me was the presenter stating that Chords Robb Watts has apparently agreed the dacs are really susceptible to RFI and agrees the Wave audio cables with the ferrite rings help remove this and make their dac sound better. Ferrites are dirt cheap and I have just spent £8300 on Chords TT2 and Scaler, if Chord know such a cheap solution improves the performance and removes a common source of degradation why on earth are they not including ferrites with the supplied cables.

Chord appear to agree there is a technical challenge which negatively affects their DAC’s (RFI is everywhere), an easy solution (ferrite rings) but leave it to someone else to resolve - that’s pretty poor in my humble opinion.

Love the Scaler and TT2 and no offence directed to Wave high fidelity who have merely spotted an opportunity to fix a problem for its customers.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #15,424 of 18,905
Just watched a video on YouTube (pursuit perfect system talking about upgrading the sound of the scaler and dac - Dave in this case but relevant to TT2 also) promoting Wave high fidelity cables which use 20 ferrite rings per cable to remove RFI. What stood out for me was the presenter stating that Chords Robb Watts has apparently agreed the dacs are really susceptible to RFI and agrees the Wave audio cables with the ferrite rings help remove this and make their dac sound better. Ferrites are dirt cheap and I have just spent £8300 on Chords TT2 and Scaler, if Chord know such a cheap solution improves the performance and removes a common source of degradation why on earth are they not including ferrites with the supplied cables.

Chord appear to agree there is a technical challenge which negatively affects their DAC’s (RFI is everywhere), an easy solution (ferrite rings) but leave it to someone else to resolve - that’s pretty poor in my humble opinion.

Love the Scaler and TT2 and no offence directed to Wave high fidelity who have merely spotted an opportunity to fix a problem for its customers.
I would also like to know if a real benefit with £2K cables or sufficient as is with stock cables or as mentioned slap some ferrites on any cable and good to go? £2K is a lot of money and I rather buy another pair of headphones....I am afraid we are opening a can of worms now.....

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #15,425 of 18,905
I would also like to know if a real benefit with £2K cables or sufficient as is with stock cables or as mentioned slap some ferrites on any cable and good to go? £2K is a lot of money and I rather buy another pair of headphones....I am afraid we are opening a can of worms now.....
Hej där Widell,
looking at your system it seems we have similar speakers ie electrostatic , you Quad me ML ,but I only have the Qutest with my HMS no TT2.
I can firmly say both Stream and Storm are a clearly audible and very welcome upgrade over stock BNCs. Very expensive yes,1000-1500 pounds. Judging by your system and if you listen to acoustic music, I would be surprised if you would not hear an improvement as I easily do in my system both via speakers and headphones.
I do not know if sticking ferrites on any BNC cable will do the job ? I can also hear a clear difference between Stream and Storm in my system.
Cheers and God Jul CC

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #15,426 of 18,905
Hej där Widell,
looking at your system it seems we have similar speakers ie electrostatic , you Quad me ML ,but I only have the Qutest with my HMS no TT2.
I can firmly say both Stream and Storm are a clearly audible and very welcome upgrade over stock BNCs. Very expensive yes,1000-1500 pounds. Judging by your system and if you listen to acoustic music, I would be surprised if you would not hear an improvement as I easily do in my system both via speakers and headphones.
I do not know if sticking ferrites on any BNC cable will do the job ? I can also hear a clear difference between Stream and Storm in my system.
Cheers and God Jul CC
God Jul and lots of Glögg,
Glögg will give an even better audiophile experience at a fraction of the price :wink: That said regards to the wave cable this is not what I wanted to hear as I had other plans for my hard earned $$$ such as Susvara/Stealth....and active speaker...Wish I had option to listen to a pair of wave storm and make up my mind.
I do listen to a lot of acoustic and vocal music amongst other such as slow core/sad core, ambient, rock, post rock and independent music...list is long but not so much hip hop/rap or pure EDM etc nor much Classic except for Tabula Rasa and a few of the obscure classical stuff on occasion...

Dec 22, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #15,427 of 18,905
Just wanted to make the following clear having re-read my post. I do believe interconnects make a difference and have invested many thousands over the years on a multitude of quality interconnects. I recent purchased some Anthem XLR's on another form so I am not a cable 'disbeliever'. I am also not saying Wave high fidelity's cables do not make a difference or don't represent VFM, I couldn't hope to know without buying and trying myself. My only gripe is that Chord themselves agree their DAC's are highly susceptible to RFI, ferrite rings effectively remove RFI but they fail to supply on such an expensive piece of equipment.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #15,428 of 18,905
Hej där Widell,
Cheers and God Jul CC
Hi Christer and God Jul, have you had a chance to compare using a battery pack for the mscaler vs the stream/storm? Thanks!

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #15,429 of 18,905
Just wanted to make the following clear having re-read my post. I do believe interconnects make a difference and have invested many thousands over the years on a multitude of quality interconnects. I recent purchased some Anthem XLR's on another form so I am not a cable 'disbeliever'. I am also not saying Wave high fidelity's cables do not make a difference or don't represent VFM, I couldn't hope to know without buying and trying myself. My only gripe is that Chord themselves agree their DAC's are highly susceptible to RFI, ferrite rings effectively remove RFI but they fail to supply on such an expensive piece of equipment.
Ferrites on the BNC cables between mScaler and a Chord DAC do make a difference, and it has to do with the reduction of very high frequency RFI. In particular, solid core ferrites targeted at high frequencies but some have had good experience with snap on ferrites. The number, 20-30, and the type/model, is important and the length of the BNC cables is also, at least 1 to 2 meters. There is a ton in this thread and the mScaler thread on it. Nick/Wave have been at the forefront of experimentation and commercialization. You can build your own or experiment or, if not a tinkerer, then Wave is an excellent solution.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #15,430 of 18,905
As I’ve mentioned before… I wish I had gotten the Storm Cables with my first mscaler. They are an essential piece of the audio puzzle.

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #15,431 of 18,905
Hi Christer and God Jul, have you had a chance to compare using a battery pack for the mscaler vs the stream/storm? Thanks!
Hej ,
no I have not tried Mscaler on battery yet ,but I am running my Qutest on a battery powered psu until it runs out of battery after 3-4 hours, it is not a powerbank, but there I also hear a slightly lower noise-floor and fuller warmer SQ than running Qutest off the supplied little wallwart thingy.
I may try both Mscaler and Qutest on Farad 3s.
But I do not want to buy without auditioning first.
The good thing with Nick´s BNCs at least before Brexit, was a long testing time allowed before deciding whether to buy them or not.
Not that I needed more than a minute or so, to hear the improvement both delivered over Chord stock BNC. Slightly more difficult to decide which one to keep.
In the end I kept both and was planning to use Stream as a travel option.
Now it is mostly just lying there on a shelf in my home system with no long term or long distance travel in sight even this winter as things are looking with Covid.
Cheers CC

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #15,432 of 18,905
Hej ,
no I have not tried Mscaler on battery yet ,but I am running my Qutest on a battery powered psu until it runs out of battery after 3-4 hours, it is not a powerbank, but there I also hear a slightly lower noise-floor and fuller warmer SQ than running Qutest off the supplied little wallwart thingy.
I may try both Mscaler and Qutest on Farad 3s.
But I do not want to buy without auditioning first.
The good thing with Nick´s BNCs at least before Brexit, was a long testing time allowed before deciding whether to buy them or not.
Not that I needed more than a minute or so, to hear the improvement both delivered over Chord stock BNC. Slightly more difficult to decide which one to keep.
In the end I kept both and was planning to use Stream as a travel option.
Now it is mostly just lying there on a shelf in my home system with no long term or long distance travel in sight even this winter as things are looking with Covid.
Cheers CC
Thanks for the reply. Im using a powerbank for the mscaler but cant stop wondering if the Storm would be better. I might see if a demo is possible at some point, after my bank accoun has recovered👍🎅

Dec 22, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #15,433 of 18,905
I just got the Wave Stream BNC last night for use between my MS and TT2. Nick did say the Storm was a better cable, but I don't have Golden Ears and didn't want to spend that much for a pair of cables so I oprted for the 'Storm Jr'............. the Stream!

I did read that Rob Watts used the Storm and when asked about the cost he did mention the Stream as a lower cost alternative.

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #15,434 of 18,905
God Jul and lots of Glögg,
Glögg will give an even better audiophile experience at a fraction of the price :wink: That said regards to the wave cable this is not what I wanted to hear as I had other plans for my hard earned $$$ such as Susvara/Stealth....and active speaker...Wish I had option to listen to a pair of wave storm and make up my mind.
I do listen to a lot of acoustic and vocal music amongst other such as slow core/sad core, ambient, rock, post rock and independent music...list is long but not so much hip hop/rap or pure EDM etc nor much Classic except for Tabula Rasa and a few of the obscure classical stuff on occasion...
@Widell, I’m sure that you’ve read here on this form and others that using Nick Bacon’s WAVE BNC cables greatly improves the sound quality of any system that has a Chord DAVE or TT2 DAC paired with a HMS. I myself find this to be true, and consider the WAVE Storm BNC’s in my setup to be an integral part of my system. Yes £2,000 is a lot of money, especially for a pair of coaxial interconnects. But in the rarified air of high end audio their cost is commensurate with what other boutique cable makers charge. I just happen to think that Nick’s, aka @Triode User, are the best sounding that I’ve tried. You don’t have to go buy super expensive BNC cables. There are a few really good ones available on the market at more moderate prices. My suggestion is to make sure that you get something decent that won’t limit your musical enjoyment. Honestly I didn’t think that using WAVE BNC’s would make a qualitative difference until I tried them.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #15,435 of 18,905
@Widell, I’m sure that you’ve read here on this form and others that using Nick Bacon’s WAVE BNC cables greatly improves the sound quality of any system that has a Chord DAVE or TT2 DAC paired with a HMS. I myself find this to be true, and consider the WAVE Storm BNC’s in my setup to be an integral part of my system. Yes £2,000 is a lot of money, especially for a pair of coaxial interconnects. But in the rarified air of high end audio their cost is commensurate with what other boutique cable makers charge. I just happen to think that Nick’s, aka @TriodeUser, are the best sounding that I’ve tried. You don’t have to go buy super expensive BNC cables. There are a few really good ones available on the market at more moderate prices. My suggestion is to make sure that you get something decent that won’t limit your musical enjoyment. Honestly I didn’t think that using WAVE BNC’s would make a qualitative difference until I tried them.
Thank, and down the rabbit hole....just bought the Stealth so have to wait for a used pair of Wave storm to hit the classifieds.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back