Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 15, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #15,076 of 18,991
The existing diana sounds exceptional but the fit was not for me at all.
Have you tried the newest pad (2021)?

When I had Diana V2 at 2020, indeed the pad is a bit stiff and headband create hot spot. No longer happen with the latest pad version.

Direct from TT2, Diana Phi has very enjoyable midrange while really strong in term of technicalities (Especially transient, imaging, and detail).

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #15,080 of 18,991
No I haven’t but atm I am utterly mesmerised by the positive difference the linear power supply has added to my setup.
Hey all. Big fan, first time caller.

TLDR: Do you need to open up the TT2 (like you do with the DAVE when adding a Sean Jacobs DC3/4) to get the full benefit from an upgraded ext LPSU? Or is plugging in a DC3, or Ferrum Hypsos or whatever, to the back power inlet already the 'Full Banana'? Does anyone have familiarity with the LPSU options out there?

Details:
I am barely a headphone listener (I have Utopias that mostly sit in their pretty case) but I am thinking about DAC options right now and, as it happens, I'm borrowing a friend's TT2 atm (while my PS Audio DirectStream is getting the transformer upgrade done), and I for some time used the Hugo2 with the Shure electrostat IEMs. The TT2 with stock power supply, analog cables that cost as much as the TT2, and my Focal SM9 studio monitors (beryllium tweeters, ruthless), is BRIGHT, or forward, or pick your word, with redbook. This is true with a pretty high-end streaming chain into TT2 USB, and also (a bit less so) with a PS Audio PST transport > AZ Silver Bytes into TT2 BNC. I have been taming it with HQPlayer upsampling to DSD128 (the max I can get out of my Antipodes CX).

Meanwhile another friend had a DAVE, added an M-Scaler, added an Innuos Statement, then added a Sean Jacobs DC4 to the DAVE (all going into an active tri-amplified Naim / Kudos system) so I'm aware of the scale of changes that can be made to the Chord topology DACs with both upsampling and with (very expensive) ext LPSUs.

I am trying to figure out if there is a version of the TT2 that will meet my needs/preferences, providing the (what I would call) 'detail-forward' Chord presentation without the 'turn the volume down please' treble presence that I have with TT2 + beryllium.

The system is dedicated 20amp lines, a PS Audio P5 regenerator for the source components, 2 EtherRegens, Antipodes CX/EX/P2, Innuos Phoenix USB, PSA DirectStream DAC (with guest appearances by the TT2 and a Mola Mola Tambaqui), PS Audio BHK preamp (sadly out for service right now, it would definitely improve the situation with the TT2), the PSA PST SACD transport, and afore-mentioned Focal (Pro) SM9 studio monitors, 3-way, active, total of 600 watts class AB per side. Power cords from Nordost, AQ, PSA, ETE, AQ signal cables, Curious USB cable. A bunch of acoustic treatments, to confirm that I am a proper nutjob.

Anyway, thanks!
-fs

Nov 17, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #15,081 of 18,991

TLDR: Do you need to open up the TT2 (like you do with the DAVE when adding a Sean Jacobs DC3/4) to get the full benefit from an upgraded ext LPSU? Or is plugging in a DC3, or Ferrum Hypsos or whatever, to the back power inlet already the 'Full Banana'? Does anyone have familiarity with the LPSU options out there?

Details:
I am barely a headphone listener (I have Utopias that mostly sit in their pretty case) but I am thinking about DAC options right now and, as it happens, I'm borrowing a friend's TT2 atm (while my PS Audio DirectStream is getting the transformer upgrade done), and I for some time used the Hugo2 with the Shure electrostat IEMs. The TT2 with stock power supply, analog cables that cost as much as the TT2, and my Focal SM9 studio monitors (beryllium tweeters, ruthless), is BRIGHT, or forward, or pick your word, with redbook. This is true with a pretty high-end streaming chain into TT2 USB, and also (a bit less so) with a PS Audio PST transport > AZ Silver Bytes into TT2 BNC. I have been taming it with HQPlayer upsampling to DSD128 (the max I can get out of my Antipodes CX).

Meanwhile another friend had a DAVE, added an M-Scaler, added an Innuos Statement, then added a Sean Jacobs DC4 to the DAVE (all going into an active tri-amplified Naim / Kudos system) so I'm aware of the scale of changes that can be made to the Chord topology DACs with both upsampling and with (very expensive) ext LPSUs.

I am trying to figure out if there is a version of the TT2 that will meet my needs/preferences, providing the (what I would call) 'detail-forward' Chord presentation without the 'turn the volume down please' treble presence that I have with TT2 + beryllium.

The system is dedicated 20amp lines, a PS Audio P5 regenerator for the source components, 2 EtherRegens, Antipodes CX/EX/P2, Innuos Phoenix USB, PSA DirectStream DAC (with guest appearances by the TT2 and a Mola Mola Tambaqui), PS Audio BHK preamp (sadly out for service right now, it would definitely improve the situation with the TT2), the PSA PST SACD transport, and afore-mentioned Focal (Pro) SM9 studio monitors, 3-way, active, total of 600 watts class AB per side. Power cords from Nordost, AQ, PSA, ETE, AQ signal cables, Curious USB cable. A bunch of acoustic treatments, to confirm that I am a proper nutjob.

Anyway, thanks!
-fs
Well if you think TT2 as "treble/detail forward" then there is no chord product that would suit you. TT2 is one of the fullest body and smoothest among all chord dac. Yes, even Dave isn't as full body as TT2.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #15,082 of 18,991
Well if you think TT2 as "treble/detail forward" then there is no chord product that would suit you. TT2 is one of the fullest body and smoothest among all chord dac. Yes, even Dave isn't as full body as TT2.
This is true, I owned the TT2 for two years before moving up to the Dave. The TT2 is warmer and fuller sounding than the Dave.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #15,083 of 18,991

Details:

Anyway, thanks!
-fs
add an M-scaler to make the TT2 slightly smoother and easier to listen to, althought to my ears its very smooth and warm already lol

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #15,085 of 18,991
Nov 18, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #15,086 of 18,991
The 6.35 headphone jacks on the TT2 are single ended.

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #15,088 of 18,991
The new meze liric look interesting. At around 390 grams might be what i've been waiting for all this time. Portable empyreans.
Also sounds excellent on the TT2.

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #15,089 of 18,991
I understand TT2 can be charged by 12v battery, I have a spare Uptone JS2 12v, can I use it to charge TT2?
I do exactly that. Sounds very good 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back