Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 11, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #14,791 of 19,009
Does anybody have a view on when Hugo TT 2 may be replaced by a Hugo 3 TT, or superceded at this level in some way? I would hate to invest so much in a piece of equipment only to see that it has been discontinued and improved upon at the same price point shortly afterwards!

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #14,792 of 19,009
Does anybody have a view on when Hugo TT 2 may be replaced by a Hugo 3 TT, or superceded at this level in some way? I would hate to invest so much in a piece of equipment only to see that it has been discontinued and improved upon at the same price point shortly afterwards!

TT2 is the latest product from Chord. Logically they need to refresh the whole other DAC in their line up before release TT3.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #14,794 of 19,009
Is it? There have been a number of launches since 2018, no?
TT2 was the last dac they released. Bug rumours that mojo 2 is next. They will release a new mojo, new Hugo 2 or new dave before a new TT2 comes out in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #14,796 of 19,009
Is it? There have been a number of launches since 2018, no?
Yes, but if you break those down into product streams, you get:
  • Analog amps - several, but this reflects a refresh of the product line, plus aligning with Chords 30th anniversary
  • Streaming related - yes the 2Go plus the 2Yu
  • Dacs - this has been quiet for a few years, so instinct says that this sector is due the next refresh. However there is a well publicised worldwide shortage of chips, and a shortage of trade shows etc which can be used to showcase new products. Inevitably Chord directors will be questioning, what is the positive value of announcing new products during 2021, if we cannot deliver those products this year. Chord directors are only human. :relaxed:
I hope that I am being too negative, but I am being transparent with my thoughts.

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #14,797 of 19,009
TT2 was the last dac they released. Bug rumours that mojo 2 is next. They will release a new mojo, new Hugo 2 or new dave before a new TT2 comes out in my opinion.
Totally agree here. The now six year old DAVE is more likely to be next than a TT3 but Chord isn’t even offering a tease as far as I know. Really, the TT2 is a great device @Scrum92 so I wouldn’t wait.

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #14,800 of 19,009
My house was eerily quiet and when switching from a 44.1 to 96kHz track, prompting the display to come on, I noticed a very faint high pitched noise. I quickly realised it was coming from the TT 2, and have since discovered that this was/is quite common. It seems to be audible on every screen, but dimming removes it.

With regards to this issue, newer units aside, I suspect many posters in the past claiming to not hear it just don't hear that noise any longer! :D

I do notice, if I hold my ear right up to the volume ball area, that there is also a very slight noise (hum/static/electrical) and that too apparently seems to be common. Though I cannot "feel" anything like other posters before me. My ear has to be practically on the volume ball to perceive it. No noise comes out of my headphones at any volume.

Any grounds for concern here?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #14,801 of 19,009
Well, I was in the same boat; my Hugo TT 2 was only purchased 6 weeks ago. I, too, was worried that I'd be sinking a large chunk of change into a device that was due for an imminent refresh.

Ultimately, I just went ahead with my purchase (obviously). The reasons were few, but varied -

1) The Hugo TT 2 is an excellent source player. As an all-in-one, it's very well an end-game for most.

2) The timetable of refreshes suggests that the Hugo TT 2 won't be the next-in-line. In terms of age, the Mojo was introduced first, followed by the Dave, then the Hugo 2, then, lastly, the Hugo TT 2. Thus, if any refinements to an existing product are required, the long-in-the-tooth Mojo should be at the head of the queue.

3) I trust in Chord. I have a Mojo and a Hugo 2, so the logical upgrade to the duo is a Hugo TT 2. It sounds utterly naive of me, but I'm somewhat loyal to a brand and its products.

Sep 12, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #14,802 of 19,009
I no sooner bought my TT(1) and the TT2 came out. I eventually bought the TT2. I still have the TT1 and use it regularly. If it could play 705/768 I would probably use it more than the TT2. I prefer it’s sound when playing redbook.

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #14,803 of 19,009
I no sooner bought my TT(1) and the TT2 came out. I eventually bought the TT2. I still have the TT1 and use it regularly. If it could play 705/768 I would probably use it more than the TT2. I prefer it’s sound when playing redbook.
I loved my TT(1) and wish I still had it. I still think about buying another one second hand.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #14,804 of 19,009
I loved my TT(1) and wish I still had it. I still think about buying another one second hand.
Coming from someone with a respected ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back