Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 4, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #14,761 of 18,886
Thanks all.
While the TT2 is humming, remove the power supply cord from the back. It will run on the supercaps for about 30 sec. If the hum stops, it could be the power supply or mains grounding issues.

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #14,762 of 18,886
I have a TT2 in my system at the moment (on temporary loan). I'm using Roon and HQ Player. Occasionally the symbol -5L appears on the screen of the TT2. Does anyone know what this means?

I've looked in the manual, and also searched online, and I can't find any information on this at all.

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #14,763 of 18,886
I have a TT2 in my system at the moment (on temporary loan). I'm using Roon and HQ Player. Occasionally the symbol -5L appears on the screen of the TT2. Does anyone know what this means?

I've looked in the manual, and also searched online, and I can't find any information on this at all.
Volume level = -5, on Low Gain. Default for Dac Mode.

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #14,764 of 18,886
Volume level = -5, on Low Gain. Default for Dac Mode.

That's great, thanks. What confused me is that the manual says that low gain is -9dB lower (than high). It then goes on to say that L (low gain) is shown on the display together with the volume setting in dB.

As the volume setting is effectively -9dB I was expecting the display to say -9L, rather than -5L, in DAC mode.

I'm obviously misunderstanding something.

Anyway, it's not an error message so that's good.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #14,765 of 18,886
Well guys, I have sold the farm so to speak. I am trading in almost all my current gear to get a pair of speakers I have lusted after since I first saw and heard them. Kharma DB 7’s. Unfortunately my streamer, Mscaler, and TT2 are all part of my trade in.
I am retaining my Nagra integrated, but my source for now will be a Teac PD 501 HR cd/DSD player and my Thinkpad Laptop.
I got the dealer to at least throw in a Dac, so I can use the Laptop to play my stored music, plus Tidal.
He agreed to throw in a Mojo, but i am having second thoughts about it because of the tiny connections, battery etc.
I may try a Musical fidelity MX-DAC, which has Regular size inputs and outputs until I can afford a Dave😉.
The only 2 photos I could find of the Aubergine color online, I will post….what have I done.

Attachments

• 5F9B962E-8F45-4337-8B48-906C69A26B62.jpeg
    5F9B962E-8F45-4337-8B48-906C69A26B62.jpeg
    709.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DB48AE78-C45E-4080-B138-91A530C3D0D4.jpeg
    DB48AE78-C45E-4080-B138-91A530C3D0D4.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #14,766 of 18,886
Well guys, I have sold the farm so to speak. I am trading in almost all my current gear to get a pair of speakers I have lusted after since I first saw and heard them. Kharma DB 7’s. Unfortunately my streamer, Mscaler, and TT2 are all part of my trade in.
I am retaining my Nagra integrated, but my source for now will be a Teac PD 501 HR cd/DSD player and my Thinkpad Laptop.
I got the dealer to at least throw in a Dac, so I can use the Laptop to play my stored music, plus Tidal.
He agreed to throw in a Mojo, but i am having second thoughts about it because of the tiny connections, battery etc.
I may try a Musical fidelity MX-DAC, which has Regular size inputs and outputs until I can afford a Dave😉.
The only 2 photos I could find of the Aubergine color online, I will post….what have I done.
Oh, wow, simply wow! You have really gone at the deep end. Congratulations!

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #14,767 of 18,886
Oh, wow, simply wow! You have really gone at the deep end. Congratulations!
Thanks Nick, I am making the 4 hour one way trip on Saturday to pick them up. Not sure I will have the energy to get them set up and running that night though…for sure on Sunday.

Sep 10, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #14,769 of 18,886
So, kudos to Chord USA; my TT2 is repaired (the dreaded clicking issue) and on its way back to me with a brand new board. I was anticipating a long wait but they were very responsive. Still a bit nervous as the clicking issue seemed to be a common issue. Hopefully the “flaw” has been resolved!
How long did it take? I've sent another Chord's DAC (Hugo2) to my local dealer, then they sent it to Chord in GB and I'm still waiting... almost 2 months passed and it's still in GB.

Sep 10, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #14,770 of 18,886
I wouldn’t worry…think of high-end audio equipment like an exotic car not a Maytag appliance. Getting the ultimate performance can mean sacrificing some reliability.

Sep 10, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #14,771 of 18,886
Hi, @Rob Watts ,

I recently got opportunity to try TT2 straight to KEF LS50 meta. They are 85db 8ohm.
I use SE headphone jack. I wonder if down at +0H at high Gain volume level comes that around 7w ouput?
Also is it safe to increase to +10H for example?

Thank you

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #14,772 of 18,886
For anyone who uses the TT2 + Formula S, do you get a hum / hiss when listening while jacked into the Formula S?

Sep 10, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #14,774 of 18,886
Hi, @Rob Watts ,

I recently got opportunity to try TT2 straight to KEF LS50 meta. They are 85db 8ohm.
I use SE headphone jack. I wonder if down at +0H at high Gain volume level comes that around 7w ouput?
Also is it safe to increase to +10H for example?

Thank you
@Vyyy Coincidentally I've been auditioning KEF LS50 meta today, unfortunately I didn't have time to pair them with TT2, but even with Mytek Bridge + AMP+ they sound... awful to me. Only some acustic music sounded on acceptable levels. The sound is thin (it's not just lack of bass, you just know something is missing there), laid back, slow. Since I've tested 50 Wireless first and they sounded even worts I am convinced this is Kef LS50 signature. I think pairing them with such a great and musical dac as TT2 is hurting yourself on purpose unless you will listen only to great acoustic recordings.

Thanks to this experience now I know why some "popular" audio reviewers having those Kef in the background are praising some chi-fi stuff - they simply can't hear the difference.

As always your mileage may vary so best is to audition thoses by yourself.

Sep 10, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #14,775 of 18,886
@Vyyy Coincidentally I've been auditioning KEF LS50 meta today, unfortunately I didn't have time to pair them with TT2, but even with Mytek Bridge + AMP+ they sound... awful to me. Only some acustic music sounded on acceptable levels. The sound is thin (it's not just lack of bass, you just know something is missing there), laid back, slow. Since I've tested 50 Wireless first and they sounded even worts I am convinced this is Kef LS50 signature. I think pairing them with such a great and musical dac as TT2 is hurting yourself on purpose unless you will listen only to great acoustic recordings.

Thanks to this experience now I know why some "popular" audio reviewers having those Kef in the background are praising some chi-fi stuff - they simply can't hear the difference.

As always your mileage may vary so best is to audition thoses by yourself.
Its true what you said. They are dark, laidback, and looses refinement and details. I have not bought them just had a good try of straight TT2 into bookshelves. I wont keep them:) but regarding volume and power i am still interested:)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back