Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 15, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #14,641 of 18,905
Can anyone who has a TT2 and 1266 Phi TC combo please confirm if it can portray piano solo without distortion? I briefly owned a used pair of TCs that buzzed/vibrated whenever a pianist played mezzo forte and louder. I tried connecting it via both the 6.3mm and dual XLR connections. Abyss suggested it could have been my TT2 struggling with the transients at such high volumes. None of my other headphones have any problems with piano on the TT2. I returned the pair but since I don't own any external amps, I was never able to rule out the possibility of my TT2 being the culprit.

Aug 15, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #14,642 of 18,905
Can anyone who has a TT2 and 1266 Phi TC combo please confirm if it can portray piano solo without distortion? I briefly owned a used pair of TCs that buzzed/vibrated whenever a pianist played mezzo forte and louder. I tried connecting it via both the 6.3mm and dual XLR connections. Abyss suggested it could have been my TT2 struggling with the transients at such high volumes. None of my other headphones have any problems with piano on the TT2. I returned the pair but since I don't own any external amps, I was never able to rule out the possibility of my TT2 being the culprit.
I formerly owned a 1266 TC and don’t recall there being any reverberation issues with the rear XLRs. How open were you wearing them? And how did you rule out it being an artifact of the track? I heard a lot of unintended leftovers with those

Aug 15, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #14,643 of 18,905
I tried wearing them in many different positions including having the pads barely touching my ears, to forcing them fully sealed against my head with my hands. The result was consistent, even with at very low volumes. None of my other headphones/IEMs (Utopia, Stellia, Empyrean, HD800s, Campfire Andromeda, or Shure KSE1200) have any problems with the songs I listened to. My HD800S requires almost as much volume as the 1266 did and are in the same general volume range: up to +10H single ended on quiet tracks. I sent Abyss links to some of the piano tracks I listen to. They were using an XI Audio Formula S and reported no issues.

Aug 15, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #14,644 of 18,905
I've gone through a few pairs to finally get one that doesn't buzz/rattle at any frequency. If your Abyss is having these issues, get in touch with them. I sent my previous pairs in, they confirmed the issue, sent me an another...and another...till I got one that is clean on a frequency sweep.

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #14,645 of 18,905
Out of curiosity, does anyone use the remote control to change volume on the Hugo TT 2? The problem is, like the Hugo 2, the.. uhm.. balls tend to easily absorb oil and grime; I religiously clean my Hugo 2 after each period of use, but I'd like to avoid any similar occurrences with the Hugo TT 2. Thus, since I picked up my unit a couple of weeks back, I've been using it with the remote control.

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #14,646 of 18,905
Out of curiosity, does anyone use the remote control to change volume on the Hugo TT 2? The problem is, like the Hugo 2, the.. uhm.. balls tend to easily absorb oil and grime; I religiously clean my Hugo 2 after each period of use, but I'd like to avoid any similar occurrences with the Hugo TT 2. Thus, since I picked up my unit a couple of weeks back, I've been using it with the remote control.
I use the remote control regularly. In my case it's not because of concerns about cleanliness but because I'm often out of reach of the volume ball when I do the majority of my listening. Most of the time it works perfectly. Every now and then, my M Scaler gets confused and changes my source when I'm adjusting the TT2's volume with the remote. It's pretty rare, but it still happens.

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #14,647 of 18,905

Sometimes I use the remote, but not often. The balls are there to be played with. Chord gear provides a satisfying tactile experience.

I never have issues with oily marks etc. Given how nice the gear is and how long we want it to last in excellent condition, I always approach it with very clean hands.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #14,648 of 18,905
I use the remote control regularly. In my case it's not because of concerns about cleanliness but because I'm often out of reach of the volume ball when I do the majority of my listening. Most of the time it works perfectly. Every now and then, my M Scaler gets confused and changes my source when I'm adjusting the TT2's volume with the remote. It's pretty rare, but it still happens.
Now, that would be a slight concern, as I'm planning to add an M Scaler to the mix (soon). I change volume a lot during my listening sessions, so I wouldn't want this to be an issue. Anyway, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks. :)

Sometimes I use the remote, but not often. The balls are there to be played with. Chord gear provides a satisfying tactile experience.

I never have issues with oily marks etc. Given how nice the gear is and how long we want it to last in excellent condition, I always approach it with very clean hands.
I agree; I do enjoy moving the balls on my Hugo 2, and now, the Hugo TT 2. Nevertheless, I love to keep my stuff in pristine condition. Thus, I see myself using the remote control more often than not. Thanks for your opinions!

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #14,649 of 18,905
Now, that would be a slight concern, as I'm planning to add an M Scaler to the mix (soon). I change volume a lot during my listening sessions, so I wouldn't want this to be an issue. Anyway, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks. :)
There's no real need for concern. I've owned the M Scaler/TT2 stack for over 16 months and this issue happened maybe five or six times.

Aug 16, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #14,650 of 18,905
Redundancy is a good thing but, raid is not for me. ZBackup is a great file system, rip out 2 ssd/hdd’s out of a raid system and watch the system die, rip out two from a system using ZBackup file system and watch it not skipping a heart beep.

I have more faith in ZFS than I would have with raid + many

I love my ssd’s, you gotta love em, even just a little bit

The above post may not be 100% true, I just watched a video of it on you tube:smiley:

ZFS

Synology has their own RAID, and hyper back up. How do you back up these expensive streamers?

Aug 16, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #14,651 of 18,905
I use remote almost exclusively.

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #14,652 of 18,905

I love controlling my TT2 with the ball. Even when I have a tube preamp in the chain I still prefer it in amp mode instead of dac mode. I use my remote when I lie down on my bean bag listening area and the TT2 is out of immediate reach.

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #14,653 of 18,905
Hi, Rob,

I would like to ask if 86db and 4ohm load (dynaudio bookshelf speakers) are good to drive with TT2 in a SE? Wont that load couse any problems to TT2?

Aug 17, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #14,655 of 18,905
Hi, Rob,

I would like to ask if 86db and 4ohm load (dynaudio bookshelf speakers) are good to drive with TT2 in a SE? Wont that load couse any problems to TT2?
4 ohms with TT2 SE is absolutely fine as the OP stages were designed to suit low impedance loads (like my B&W 803 D3) which are 3 ohms from 100Hz to 800Hz.

Whether the volume level is enough depends upon you and how far away you are from the speakers, as you will only get unclipped a max of 95 dB SPL from one speaker at 1m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back