Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 1, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #14,356 of 18,905
A nicer USB cable will not make an audible change unless your current cable is defective but it could look better and the Oyaide is nice
It is a point of view but not one that will garner widespread support from those of us who have tried different USB cables.

Having tried several USB cables I selected the Sablon 2020 as my favourite (having previously been inclined to your point of view and used to have a Supra USB 2.0 but the Sablon completely changed my mind). The FTA Callisto also showed well in my listening tests and indeed some might prefer that sound to the Sablon.

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #14,357 of 18,905
So I finally received my Hugo TT2 and I've been listening to my Utopia directly from it. After a good period of time I decided to plug my Feilks Euforia with the TT2 and see how the sound compared with my favorite dedicated utopia amp. Well that sucks...the TT2 sounds cleaner, better clarity, higher res, a little more open. I don't like the sound of the Euforia with the Utopia any longer compared to listening directly out of the TT2. Hmm...Now I'm seriously considering selling the Feliks. What happens if I get the M-scaler? :)

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #14,358 of 18,905
So I finally received my Hugo TT2 and I've been listening to my Utopia directly from it. After a good period of time I decided to plug my Feilks Euforia with the TT2 and see how the sound compared with my favorite dedicated utopia amp. Well that sucks...the TT2 sounds cleaner, better clarity, higher res, a little more open. I don't like the sound of the Euforia with the Utopia any longer compared to listening directly out of the TT2. Hmm...Now I'm seriously considering selling the Feliks. What happens if I get the M-scaler? :)
You're experiencing what I'm experiencing with the Dave. The drop off in sound quality is so noticeable when using an external amp that I no longer find that amp enjoyable. I have the Luxman P-750u after my Dave and it's a mighty fine amp. But I can't deny that I hear a drop off in sound quality after coming from using the Dave directly. Sounds like you're having the same issue after using your TT2 directly.

It has me rethinking my entire setup now. If I have to use an external amp I want to at least have it maintain a high level of the Dave's transparency levels. In your case it would be the TT2's level of transparency.

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #14,359 of 18,905
You're experiencing what I'm experiencing with the Dave. The drop off in sound quality is so noticeable when using an external amp that I no longer find that amp enjoyable. I have the Luxman P-750u after my Dave and it's a mighty fine amp. But I can't deny that I hear a drop off in sound quality after coming from using the Dave directly. Sounds like you're having the same issue after using your TT2 directly.

It has me rethinking my entire setup now. If I have to use an external amp I want to at least have it maintain a high level of the Dave's transparency levels. In your case it would be the TT2's level of transparency.
I'm starting to wonder whether I made a mistake and should have purchased the Dave now.

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #14,360 of 18,905
I'm starting to wonder whether I made a mistake and should have purchased the Dave now.
I owned the TT2 for two years before I made the move up to the Dave. The TT2 has more than enough sound quality to make headphone listening enjoyable. With that said, the Dave, especially with the HMS is a big jump up in sound. I didn't think it would be, but there's no denying what I'm hearing.

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #14,361 of 18,905
As I saw you think about getting M scaler to pair with TT2. If you have money and desire to ultimate transparency and clarity - just sell TT2 and go for Dave.
After going through all (almost all) chord dac stack.... If I knew at the beginning how Dave is sounding I would go straight to it.
To me it's better than M Scaled TT2. If you strive for ultimate transparency clarity, direct sound - it's a no brainer.

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #14,362 of 18,905
As I saw you think about getting M scaler to pair with TT2. If you have money and desire to ultimate transparency and clarity - just sell TT2 and go for Dave.
After going through all (almost all) chord dac stack.... If I knew at the beginning how Dave is sounding I would go straight to it.
To me it's better than M Scaled TT2. If you strive for ultimate transparency clarity, direct sound - it's a no brainer.
Agreed, just go right for the Dave if you desire the ultimate in sound quality. I did however enjoy my progression through Chord's line up. Mojo->Hugo 2->TT2->Dave

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #14,364 of 18,905
Initially critical about TT2 and now a convert with all my SS headphone amps suddenly in the *useless* category, I still enjoy the sound of a tube amp with the TT2… but only occasionally.

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #14,365 of 18,905
You may also want to consider a network bridge/ streamer/ roon endpoint, instead of streaming direct from the Nuc which is better used as a dedicated server. Even running fanless is a “noisy” source. You don’t need to the break the bank, something like an allo usb bridge signature with a quiet psu would do the job. Then a good USB cable should do the job. Do you have dedicated switch for the Nuc, as you might want to look at that, because you want ideally to separate your end point from router and a switch will act as a buffer eliminating quite a bit of the noise coming from the router and you should hear improvements. Get as clean a signal as possible going into the steamer and you’ll be left with less work to do when it comes to the da conversion.
This is kind of unchartered territory for me :) I understand the logic but need to read more about it to fully understand how things would be setup. Cost aside, adding 3 boxes wouldn't be ideal to be honest. A PSU (I have a spare σ11 in stock), a network bridge, a streamer... maybe jumping straight to a well-designed streamer (Innuos, Auralic,...) would be cleaner? But considering the price difference, it might indeed be worth testing this multi-box approach... also because, it's fun to tinker with these things :wink:

The SRC-DX is interesting but doesn't come cheap, and doesn't look very universal if I decide to move to another DAC without DBNC

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #14,366 of 18,905
I've finally spent significant with mTT2 driving all my cans (Utopia, HEKse, Hedd, Auteur, Ether 2).

In general, my reaction has been '... this is the best xxx headphone has sounded!' Consistently elevates the 'specialness' of each set. And I'm comparing to the sound from competent systems: Gumby | Yggy | Denafrips Pontus | Soekris 2541 ==> Violectric V280 | Bryston BHA-1 | DSHA-3F | cap-modded Liquid Platinum.

Honestly, this was a blind-buy, based on my experience with Hugo 2 and an irresistibly attractive price for the set. Also, the seller was close enough that I could audition it. Given the price, I figured I could move it on and not take too much of a hit if I weren't blown away, but apparently that's not happening.

I must admit to being horrified to hear folks lauding the Dave as significantly better. I like it a lot better when folks write that they (or someone they know) prefers TT2 over Dave. More of that please :)

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #14,367 of 18,905
This is kind of unchartered territory for me :) I understand the logic but need to read more about it to fully understand how things would be setup. Cost aside, adding 3 boxes wouldn't be ideal to be honest. A PSU (I have a spare σ11 in stock), a network bridge, a streamer... maybe jumping straight to a well-designed streamer (Innuos, Auralic,...) would be cleaner? But considering the price difference, it might indeed be worth testing this multi-box approach... also because, it's fun to tinker with these things :wink:

The SRC-DX is interesting but doesn't come cheap, and doesn't look very universal if I decide to move to another DAC without DBNC
I very much doubt spending any amount of money on an alternative source for your HMS/TT2, however complex, would be as beneficial as just simply buying a DAVE.

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #14,368 of 18,905
...just FYI you can use a single BNC output with the SRC-DX. Double is not required for functionality, only to accommodate the higher rate files, if used. I have been using a single BNC into Dave as part of my testing to by-pass the Amanero USB portion. Very nice.

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #14,369 of 18,905
I very much doubt spending any amount of money on an alternative source for your HMS/TT2, however complex, would be as beneficial as just simply buying a DAVE.
Ah the good old upgrade temptation :wink: Not that I'm stuck with the TT2 but considering I'm also using it to power bookshelf speakers, almost any change will imply getting a power amp and add cost to the upgrade. I'll first try to squeeze all I can from the mTT2 before moving to something else.

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #14,370 of 18,905

Rather than go too off topic, drop me a DM if you'd like too and i'll be happy to advise on network set up. There maybe some simple things you can do without spending much or any money. :)Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back