Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 25, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #13,666 of 18,905
Apr 25, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #13,667 of 18,905

Correct me if I am wrong, but for those of us here it won't be enough for Spotify to offer high resolution. They will also have to allow exclusive ASIO or WASAPI mode via their app, otherwise Windows will do it's bad magic. Correct?

For example I believe Amazon music has high res music, but no ASIO/WASAPI exclusive.

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #13,668 of 18,905
Correct me if I am wrong, but for those of us here it won't be enough for Spotify to offer high resolution. They will also have to allow exclusive ASIO or WASAPI mode via their app, otherwise Windows will do it's bad magic. Correct?

For example I believe Amazon music has high res music, but no ASIO/WASAPI exclusive.
And for some of us it's going to be "does Roon support it?"

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #13,670 of 18,905
Apr 25, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #13,671 of 18,905
I think their motivation is not technical, but rather marketing. MQA is a "differentiator", something that is currently sought after more than simple High Res. Some could call it "hype driven" decision making.

I don't hate Tidal, they have served me well for quite some time. It would make me sad to see them go down in flames because they insist on sticking with MQA.

I think that a streaming music service should be faithful to the basics, a large library and reliable and honest streaming of the music they have, at the available resolution. That may not be a great "differentiator" but honesty and reliability are what appeals to people in the long run. Having a differentiator which in the eyes of many makes you a worse choice than your competitor can not be a good thing.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #13,672 of 18,905
For me the allure and experience of researching, trying and ultimately buying the hardware is strong and costly. However it also goes hand in hand with the music itself, since I bought my HD800S and HDV820 back in 2019 it has completely renewed my interest in music which was waning significantly at that time. Instead of something I would just have on in the background, it has become a focal hobby of mine where I take the time to extract myself and listen to albums in their entirety. Also, being able to work from home has allowed me to listen to close to a 1000 albums over the last year and a half. I gave myself a little project to listen to each of the Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums Of All Time, something I recommend to anyone, which has enabled me to sample and enjoy (mainly, not always) many different genres of music that I would never ordinarily listen to. I continue to listen to numerous albums daily, and this is all due to my interest in the hobby of the very audio equipment we discuss here on Head-Fi. I have just bought a TT2, and have Meze headphones on their way. Its probably not going to change the way I listen to music or maybe even my enjoyment of it, but its going to present me with music in a different way and that is one of the things I love most about this journey.

You said
"and have Meze headphones on their way."

Good evening,
Regarding the meze headphones, I am interested in knowing your opinion regarding the synergy that is generated with the TT2,
I await your comments about it, Thank you

Apr 25, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #13,673 of 18,905
I have the TT2/MScaler with Meze Empyrean and I found the combination good but not great. Overall I found the sound somewhat lifeless, and the highs a bit hard-edged. In my opinion, the Empyrean needs a good tube amp. For example, I acquired a used Vinnie Rossi LIO and that along with TT2/Mscaler in Dac mode is incredibly lifelike with great soundstage and layering and not a hint of hardness in the treble. My old Leben CS300 also wakes up the Empyrean nicely.

If you want to come straight out of the TT2 in headphone mode my recommendation would be the Focal Stellia. It doesn't have the Empyrean's soundstage or layering but has beautiful timber and great imaging, and is just plain fun to listen to.

As always, IMHO.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #13,674 of 18,905
I have the TT2/MScaler with Meze Empyrean and I found the combination good but not great. Overall I found the sound somewhat lifeless, and the highs a bit hard-edged. In my opinion, the Empyrean needs a good tube amp. For example, I acquired a used Vinnie Rossi LIO and that along with TT2/Mscaler in Dac mode is incredibly lifelike with great soundstage and layering and not a hint of hardness in the treble. My old Leben CS300 also wakes up the Empyrean nicely.

If you want to come straight out of the TT2 in headphone mode my recommendation would be the Focal Stellia. It doesn't have the Empyrean's soundstage or layering but has beautiful timber and great imaging, and is just plain fun to listen to.

As always, IMHO.
Very good recommendation, really my thanks:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #13,675 of 18,905
Hey everyone, new to the forum, I've been lurking for a while. During the pandemic I started with a Chord Mojo last June, love that little box of magic, and ended up buying a Hugo 2 in September. Just agreed to trade the Hugo 2 in for a Chord Hugo TT2 at my local dealer. The plan is to get the M Scaler further on down the road, likely linear power supplies some time after that. Really excited reading through this thread at your experiences, particularly with the M Scaler, the upgrade bug is real...

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #13,676 of 18,905
You sort of have to admire how Chord draws people to upgrade through the product line at 2K bumps which is probably what many of us can rationalize and the next thing you know you own a Dave. It’s almost a right of passage.

Just buy a Dave if you have OCD - it’s cheaper than taking a loss on your used gear.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #13,677 of 18,905
If you want to come straight out of the TT2 in headphone mode my recommendation would be the Focal Stellia.
They work very well, but they would sound good with anything. ZMF Verite work nicely as well.

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #13,679 of 18,905
20210428_232004.jpg

TT2 with M Scaler pair very well with my newly purchased HE1000SE. The transparency, imaging and dynamics are simply amazing! Really enjoy the Power of Silver of my setup

Roon → Lumin 1 Mini → Chord M Scaler → Chord Hugo TT2 → Hifiman HE1000SE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back