Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 23, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #13,636 of 18,906
Currently listening to......

WAgiOcF.png

Yeee Haar

This next one brings me right back to the vietnam war where I was flying huey gunships, get some get some. Anyone who runs is a VC, the ones that don’t are well disciplined VC

95118Of.png

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #13,637 of 18,906
Thanks to a Head-Fi member, I am a proud owner of my first Chord, the TT2 :) I have not had the chance to settle down with it yet and hope to do so over the weekend. Looking at this beautiful bit of kit, I am wondering if my aging laptop which is supplying content from Tidal across USB is in any way a weak link? Its transmitting digital signal across to the TT2, so I cant think how it could degrade the performance, but is it likely to be an inhibiting factor?

Yes, if only it were so simple that only what we believe and understand affects the sound, everything would be much easier :slight_smile:.

The only thing I can advise you is to test and see what you think yourself. If you think that the TT2 sounds great and you are happy with how it sounds with your laptop - use it and forget what others may say. If you think it sounds good, but wonder if it's possible to cream out a little more sound quality, contact a audio dealer and ask if you can borrow a dedicated music server or M-scaler and test it yourself.

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #13,639 of 18,906
It is that simple, just listen to music and not to equipment. That's the difference between audiofool and music lover.

To be able to listen to music, we need equipment. Many people think that what you have for equipment matters and that certain devices make the sound quality and music experience better.

If you do not think that the quality of the devices matters, you can buy significantly cheaper stuff than the TT2 and M-Scaler, that you state you have.

I guess you have to be a real Audiofool lol!

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #13,640 of 18,906
It is that simple, just listen to music and not to equipment. That's the difference between audiofool and music lover.
Sorry, but that's ridiculous. People who are interested in improving the sound by trying different components are usually doing so to increase their enjoyment of music.

Out of interest, what's in your system?

There's more inverted snobbery in this hobby than in any other that I have encountered.

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #13,642 of 18,906
I do not want to intrude on your listening to cables turf. I listen to music with mojo and still do and since this is a TT2 forum, I do listen to music with it - is it ridiculous, well, may be...
Are you just trolling or do you have a serious point to make that anyone in this thread might be interested in? I'm not yet seeing any value in your contribution to the thread, but maybe I'm missing something. 🤷‍♂️

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #13,643 of 18,906
Thanks to a Head-Fi member, I am a proud owner of my first Chord, the TT2 :) I have not had the chance to settle down with it yet and hope to do so over the weekend. Looking at this beautiful bit of kit, I am wondering if my aging laptop which is supplying content from Tidal across USB is in any way a weak link? Its transmitting digital signal across to the TT2, so I cant think how it could degrade the performance, but is it likely to be an inhibiting factor?

With a DAC as resolving and capable as the TT2 would highly recommend trying a dedicated source, even for as little as £299 for allo usb bridge signature + £50 for and ifi ipower you should hear a significant step in performance over any pc, mac, laptop etc, all of which generate a large amount electrical noise which will be piggy back the data via the USB in to your TT2. The most obvious results or which is blurring of low level detail and the music and more digital harshe sound. The thing is if you've been listening this way, you probably wont notice these symptoms, until remove the pc and try something less noisy, but if you have anyway of getting a home demo, give it try i reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #13,644 of 18,906
TT2 has a galvanically isolated USB input, so there should be no noise traveling from your laptop/pc to TT2.
When I tried I couldn't find any difference between USB or Optical. More here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.879425/page-19#post-14245637
I personally use a RPI3/digione streamer with Roon, but it is only because I use TT2 in 2 speaker setup, not on a desktop. With a steamer difference between USB and Coax(in my case) is there but it is because RPI's USB is shared with ethernet, which is used in my case too.

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #13,645 of 18,906
Are you just trolling or do you have a serious point to make that anyone in this thread might be interested in? I'm not yet seeing any value in your contribution to the thread, but maybe I'm missing something. 🤷‍♂️
I’m interested.

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #13,646 of 18,906
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #13,647 of 18,906
Now I’m being trolled by DM. 🙄😂🤷‍♂️

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #13,648 of 18,906
What was it he said that you were interested in?
I think the gentleman is referring to the unhealthy aspect of our hobby, where the pursuit of better actually detracts from the real time experience of enjoying the music.
I’m guilty of it, I like tweaking, I wish that my listening experience was uniform, but it’s not. Lately it hasn’t been special, I wonder if it’s because I’ve been running windows as my music server.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #13,649 of 18,906

I don't really see why it should be inhibiting anything, apart from the purchase of expensive boxes and cables...

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #13,650 of 18,906
I think the gentleman is referring to the unhealthy aspect of our hobby, where the pursuit of better actually detracts from the real time experience of enjoying the music.
I’m guilty of it, I like tweaking, I wish that my listening experience was uniform, but it’s not. Lately it hasn’t been special, I wonder if it’s because I’ve been running windows as my music server.
I haven't used Windoze for years and I'm happy about that. I found a decent streamer to make a worthwhile difference to the sound quality.

I find use of the word 'audiofool' to be unhelpful and it often says a lot about the person using it.

I'm regularly upgrading parts of my system and I don't find it detracts from my enjoyment of music at all. I don't tend to listen critically though - I'll just put music on after making a change and enjoy it and then find that I'm noticing a different feeling, which is hopefully positive. The latest tweak (a power cable to the DAC) revealed an enhanced sense of the brush on the drum in a Mark Knopfler song that wasn't so present before. The pleasure I'm getting from the music is enhanced with each improvement and it's fun to read about other people's experiences, new equipment, etc, and to try things for yourself.

I suspect some people might get more hung up on critical listening, but that might be a big part of the pleasure they get from the hobby and I wouldn't call them names or put them down for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back