Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 18, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #13,576 of 18,906
hey guys. I'm a happy chord mojo owner here. Recently acquired a Focal Utopia, and auditioned both the TT2 (with and without the MScaler) and the Dave.

Budget wise, I'm really only looking at the range of the TT2. But the Dave's sound felt like liquid gold being poured into my canals. I LOVE IT.

As it stands, I have a few options:
1) I have the option of buying a TT1 really on the cheap. Thereafter, I can save up towards getting a Dave.
2) Purchase the TT2, and work towards saving for an MScaler. But this means I would effectively forgo the Dave for the foreseeable future.

I haven't really tried the TT1, so I'm not sure what to do at the moment. Thoughts?

Btw, Rob Watts, I've been watching your interviews quite a bit. Wanted to thank you for putting the focus of music squarely where it matters - musicality!
I see from your later posts, that you are not keen on the sound signature of Hugo 2 or TT2.

Based on that I will explore a different, slightly lateral suggestion.

From my own situation, the past year since covid became the over-riding concern, work has changed from 5 days/week on site, to a mix of 5 days/week working from home, and 4 days/week working from home. It is now being explored the concept that in the long-term, work could consist of 3 days/week on site plus 2 days/week working from home.

I already have a Hugo 2, but there have been times when I thought that a TT1, at the right price, would be a good solution for a home office environment.
Sadly the TT1 prices that I have spotted, are too high to push my Hugo 2 out of the office door, but for anyone without a Hugo 2, the TT1 could still be a good solution for working from home.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #13,577 of 18,906
I see from your later posts, that you are not keen on the sound signature of Hugo 2 or TT2.

Based on that I will explore a different, slightly lateral suggestion.

From my own situation, the past year since covid became the over-riding concern, work has changed from 5 days/week on site, to a mix of 5 days/week working from home, and 4 days/week working from home. It is now being explored the concept that in the long-term, work could consist of 3 days/week on site plus 2 days/week working from home.

I already have a Hugo 2, but there have been times when I thought that a TT1, at the right price, would be a good solution for a home office environment.
Sadly the TT1 prices that I have spotted, are too high to push my Hugo 2 out of the office door, but for anyone without a Hugo 2, the TT1 could still be a good solution for working from home.
Thanks for your feedback. Incisive observation! :D

Yes you are right, the Hugo 2 sounds less musical to my ears. Very impressive clarity / detail for sure... but just not my cuppa. The TT2 has that same signature as Hugo 2, but I must confess that perhaps a longer critical listening sitting is warranted, and I will do so. I do like some features of the TT2, drums sound snappier. It enhances the "sparkly magic" on my utopias. But I just don't find them musically as cohesive as the older Chord models. Likely my newbie ears talking!

As for the TT1, I am able to get a used unit for around USD1700. Is that a reasonable price do you think?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #13,579 of 18,906

Yes you are right, the Hugo 2 sounds less musical to my ears. Very impressive clarity / detail for sure... but just not my cuppa. The TT2 has that same signature as Hugo 2, but I must confess that perhaps a longer critical listening sitting is warranted, and I will do so. I do like some features of the TT2, drums sound snappier. It enhances the "sparkly magic" on my utopias. But I just don't find them musically as cohesive as the older Chord models. Likely my newbie ears talking!

As for the TT1, I am able to get a used unit for around USD1700. Is that a reasonable price do you think?
I have just checked a range of adverts, and I can see the TT1 on sale fro $2200 to $3500 (which is frankly ridiculously expensive).
Based on that $1700 is a competitive price, provided the physical condition is Ok for your needs.

As I mentioned, I like the Hugo 2, and for that price i would prefer a second hand Hugo 2.
However there are quite a few posts on the chord threads, from owners who do prefer the TT sound signature, so given that you too like the TT sound signature, you can do a lot worse that jump on that unit for $1700.

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #13,580 of 18,906
*** I wasn't planning on posting in this thread anymore, but thought it might be a good idea to copy and paste this post from the HMS thread. Can relate to TT2... ***

It's nice to see a increase in battery use cases and noticed some chatter on power regulation. While I prefer unregulated non-battery-pack type higher performing audiophile batteries, I understand the safer route to use battery packs for ease of use and safety. I am at the extreme on battery use, so take more risks.

I happened to bump into some posts this week on how romaz and ray-dude incorporate battery packs and the Monoprice Slimrun Optical USB into their system:

They use these regulators in their respective systems circa mid-2020:

https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm

https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5s.htm

Using a PowerAdd battery set to 16V and a DXP-1A5DSC with the pre-regulator output set to 15V and the final regulator output set to 13.5V, the drop in noise floor and the improvement in dynamics and control with my Hugo TT2 is just unbelievably better when compared against the PowerAdd by itself or against the stock 15V SMPS. It's like a completely upgraded DAC with this little device even though this DAC is powered internally with supercaps.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...eaming/page/643/?tab=comments#comment-1039386

A battery pack + Monoprice Slimrun Optical should make a devastating 1-2 Punch on RFI/EMI. The Monoprice Slimrun Optical USB seems to give you the benefits of Toslink in USB form, although Toslink should still win out in SQ. It should provide optical isolation.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16377

https://www.monoprice.uk/products/m...ber-optic-slimrun?_pos=1&_sid=482504f10&_ss=r

romaz impressions:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-150#post-631854

I unboxed my Monoprice Slimrun Optical USB, so I'll play around on how my Hugo2 handles VBUS this week.

NOTE: They use super expensive PCIe USB cards (possible clocks) on the Server End, so your SQ MMV.

NOTE2: Here's some good advice and reclocking: <=192 go toslink, >192 USB

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/38154-chord-qutest/page/25/?tab=comments#comment-1105252

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/38154-chord-qutest/page/25/?tab=comments#comment-1106557

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/38154-chord-qutest/page/26/?tab=comments#comment-1107323

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #13,581 of 18,906

I owned the Hugo TT Mk 1 and when used solo or with the HMS, it was my most enjoyable sound (through a pre/power and speakers) even though using just half the available taps on the HMS. I find my current TT 2 + HMS to be a less friendly sound but do like the ability to see the exact volume level when trying out system changes.
I am working on improving my system including the analog parts and still kind of regret selling the TT Mk 1. DAVE is not an option, especially as I would not sell the HMS.

If DAVE is your goal, then at that 1700 USD price (I p/x'd mine for 1500 GBP in A1 condition) I would suggest the Mk 1 is an excellent way of genuinely enjoying your music while you save up. The HMS is not compulsory but if you find one at a similarly good price, even better.

HTH,

Hugh

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #13,582 of 18,906
I owned the Hugo TT Mk 1 and when used solo or with the HMS, it was my most enjoyable sound (through a pre/power and speakers) even though using just half the available taps on the HMS. I find my current TT 2 + HMS to be a less friendly sound but do like the ability to see the exact volume level when trying out system changes.
I am working on improving my system including the analog parts and still kind of regret selling the TT Mk 1. DAVE is not an option, especially as I would not sell the HMS.

If DAVE is your goal, then at that 1700 USD price (I p/x'd mine for 1500 GBP in A1 condition) I would suggest the Mk 1 is an excellent way of genuinely enjoying your music while you save up. The HMS is not compulsory but if you find one at a similarly good price, even better.

HTH,

Hugh
I had the mscaler and then went the HQPlayer route. Now I am back to no upsampling. For the benefits gained by upsampling in the highs they were lost in the lows to my ears. Lows win out every time for me. I am now able to appreciate the flavour of each dac. Next week may differ of course.

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #13,584 of 18,906
Interesting opinion. I’ve always felt like there is an improvement in lows (as well as with the rest of frequency range) with M Scaler.
Ragnar-BY, once I paired the M Scaler with my TT2 I decided that I was never going back to living without @Rob Watts fantastic little box of audio magic. The M Scaler is like delicious frosting and sprinkles on top of a really good cupcake.

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #13,585 of 18,906
Actually it was Jenkins at Antipodes who made the recommendation.

Apr 19, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #13,587 of 18,906
What recommendation may I ask ?
I got this from the Antipodes V2 manual. See the last paragraph. I am not anti upsampling, mscaler, hqplayer etc. It was something to consider so I am trying it at present.

Optimise
Optimising Sound Quality
Some key points about getting the best sound quality:
Don’t locate your Antipodes away from your main stereo. It is silent running and is very low-noise electronically. Locating your server a
long way from your stereo will work, but the transmission will pick up noise and the digital signal will degrade.
Use audiophile quality power cords and USB cables with your server. The impact on sound quality is significant. Ask your dealer for a
recommendation.
If streaming music over Ethernet, then use audiophile quality Ethernet cables. For example, you can improve the sound quality of
streaming services by using high quality cable from your router to your server and eliminating switches between them. If you have a
CX+EX Solution then the Ethernet cable between the CX and the EX will have a very significant impact on sound quality. Ask your
dealer for a recommendation.
Once you have decided on the playback applications you wish to use, uninstall all the other applications. Most applications use some
degree of resource and your server has to juggle them all, so removing them improves the performance of the server running the
applications you do use. You can re-install them at any time.
Just as with any other high end audio equipment, vibration isolation is important. Servers tend to work best on a rigid and damped
support.
Check that your server is keeping acceptably cool. If it is getting hot to the touch then that will affect sound quality. Consider using less
DSP and giving the server more breathing space. Don’t stack your server on top of or under another component that gets hot.
Don’t assume that upsampling/transcoding improves sound quality. Upsampling can result in a smoother top end, but worse mid-
range and bass. As with everything else, listen carefully for yourself. Extra processing during playback will interfere with playback. In
most cases, playing your files at their native resolution will give you the best balance of sound quality attributes.”

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #13,588 of 18,906
Servers, audiophile ethernet cables, etc. The above discussion makes me glad I never went down that particular rabbit hole. I just stream music from the PC I am typing this on and that PC is connected to the internet via wifi. There may be weak links in my system but if there are I would address them by, in order of priority:

1. Improving transducers, speakers and headphones.

2. Improving digital to analogue conversion.

3. Improving analogue electronics.

4. Improving usb and analogue cables, aiming for a high and consistent level throughout the system.

5 Optimizing acoustics if this is a speaker system.

6. Better coffee.

7. Audiophile server/streamer/ethernet cable/etc...

This is a hobby and if people have the time, money and inclination to play with things like audiophile ethernet cables, I wish them all the best.

Apr 19, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #13,590 of 18,906
I don’t subscribe to the audiophile ethernet cables, switches, server vibration isolators etc etc but upscaling does have a marked effect, good or bad. That is what I’m trying to figure out now. Music is #1 though. Now back to 4 or 5 new prog albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back