Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 26, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #13,112 of 19,009
TT2 sound better via BNC input than USB?
Im quite disappointed how TT2 sound, for me too warm, lack of air and resolution. Violetric V590 imo sound better.

I think your best option is going to be optical, but USB works just as well with battery-powered devices (even better in airplane mode)

I'm surprised to hear this. Violectric must have really changed their sound signature because the V280 I have adds quite a bit of warmth to my mojo. Haven't tried it with my TT2, because I didn't even prefer it to mojo output after owning it for a while--ok, occasionally I liked listening to my HD800S with it--very good synergy. With my Eikons, 100% of the time preferred the mojo straight.

That isn't to say I don't like it. I very much do, just like I occasionally like tube amps. All that stuff is on turntable duty for when I'm 'in the mood'

EDIT: looks like the V590 does some resampling up to 384kHz. Pretty interesting. Have you tried an Mscaler + TT2? Obviously a little more cash, but maybe that is some of the air or resolution you are picking up. There are a lot of components and complexity in the V590. I try to be open minded and would be happy to try one, but I find it hard to believe it could compete with a TT2 on transparency after looking at the innards. I didn't really specify earlier, but the reason I preferred the mojo straight was that it was just clearly more transparent (which gave me the feeling of better 'air and resolution'). To be fair, a very different comparison than what you are doing as I was adding an amp to the mojo rather than using a completely different dac/amp combo.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #13,113 of 19,009
Finally arrived?
Yes DJJEZ, Nick Bacon’s 🥓 WAVE STORM BNC’s are a thing that you really can’t appreciate until you’ve spent a few hours listening to music with them in your system. They’re like my Hugo M Scaler in that yes I could live without it, but now having used it for awhile, I wouldn’t want to.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #13,114 of 19,009
I don’t know about any of you guys, but, my TT2 clicks like some others here and I have stopped using it for the time being. However, since I sold my excellent Hugo 2 I‘m now forced to use my Mojo & Poly, and it sounds excellent. if I had to give it a rating out of 10, I would give it a solid 8, possibly even a 9 out of 10.

For some reason my TT2 doesn’t have such clearer detail retrieval as my mojo & poly, I was using my Mr Speakers Aeon closed at the time. Maybe I was just imagining it, but I don’t think so, anyway, the mojo & poly combo sounds really good and it would be cool if newer firmware for poly enabled us to see the songs inside a folder, as at the moment it just shows the album folder name, but you can’t see specific track names unless you keep pushing the > button.

TL;DR

Mojo & Poly has great detail retrieval and it would be cool if a new firmware came out which would allow us to see the entire contents of an album folder, without us needing to keep pushing the next track button.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #13,115 of 19,009
I don’t know about any of you guys, but, my TT2 clicks like some others here and I have stopped using it for the time being. However, since I sold my excellent Hugo 2 I‘m now forced to use my Mojo & Poly, and it sounds excellent. if I had to give it a rating out of 10, I would give it a solid 8, possibly even a 9 out of 10.

For some reason my TT2 doesn’t have such clearer detail retrieval as my mojo & poly, I was using my Mr Speakers Aeon closed at the time. Maybe I was just imagining it, but I don’t think so, anyway, the mojo & poly combo sounds really good and it would be cool if newer firmware for poly enabled us to see the songs inside a folder, as at the moment it just shows the album folder name, but you can’t see specific track names unless you keep pushing the > button.

TL;DR

Mojo & Poly has great detail retrieval and it would be cool if a new firmware came out which would allow us to see the entire contents of an album folder, without us needing to keep pushing the next track button.

I have both Mojo and TT2 and the later is IMO heads and shoulder better. I have no experience with poly.

Speculations: I didn't replay to you stat the above, but to say that I believe you may have some problem upstream of TT2. My guess is that Poly and the isolation its battery gives against pollutions on the power grid is what makes it better.

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #13,118 of 19,009
Does High gain and Low gain sound different to you (from single ended)? I have a feeling that with Diana V2, Low gain at -20 (Blue) has more bass than High gain at -20 (Green) or -10 (Blue), even when trying to volume match. If I remember correctly, High gain is the recommended one, as it is more transparent? Or am I mixing this with something...
Low gain has an additional resistor in chain, it is intended for IEMs which are much more sensitive. High gain is recommended as default.

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #13,119 of 19,009
I have both Mojo and TT2 and the later is IMO heads and shoulder better. I have no experience with poly.

Speculations: I didn't replay to you stat the above, but to say that I believe you may have some problem upstream of TT2. My guess is that Poly and the isolation its battery gives against pollutions on the power grid is what makes it better.

I also have both with an mscaler and since I got my repaired TT2 back, it just didn’t sound anything like my first one.

Obviously something is wrong if mojo has better detail retrieval than my mscaler and TT2, maybe it could just be a placebo ?

When my repaired TT2 came back from being repaired ages ago, the first thing I noticed was that it didn’t sound anywhere as good as my original TT2.

I have to send my TT2 back to be looked at from Chord for a different problem, hopefully this repair will be the charm.

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #13,121 of 19,009
Tell them it has sounded “wrong” since it was returned the first time. Make sure it is clear to them. Very sorry to hear about that though

When it was returned to me from being repaired, I remember posting that it sounded totally different from my original TT2 sound, it was much brighter whereas my original TT2 sounded more warmer and I really liked that warmer sound.

Once the lock down gets lifted, my dealer is going to pick it up and send it back to chord, this time I will stick in a piece of paper with details of what I think is wrong.

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #13,122 of 19,009
When it was returned to me from being repaired, I remember posting that it sounded totally different from my original TT2 sound, it was much brighter whereas my original TT2 sounded more warmer and I really liked that warmer sound.

Once the lock down gets lifted, my dealer is going to pick it up and send it back to chord, this time I will stick in a piece of paper with details of what I think is wrong.
I think you should compare another unit in your system. Also, when you first got TT2, weren’t you coming from H2, which I would characterize as brighter/leaner? And now you are coming from Mojo/Poly which would be a bit warmer? That may be part of it. Or, since you are still getting lots of clicking, you could have a power issue I get the occasional click, and it seems related to load changes in the house, like the heater fan. coming on.

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #13,123 of 19,009
I think you should compare another unit in your system. Also, when you first got TT2, weren’t you coming from H2, which I would characterize as brighter/leaner? And now you are coming from Mojo/Poly which would be a bit warmer? That may be part of it. Or, since you are still getting lots of clicking, you could have a power issue I get the occasional click, and it seems related to load changes in the house, like the heater fan. coming on.

Yeah, Hugo 2 was bright and clinical in my opinion, but I really liked that at the time. But then I got a TT2 and saw the light, in comparison to Hugo 2, TT2 was a good bit warmer than H2. I preferred the warmer tone that TT2 and Mojo have.

When I got my repaired TT2 back, ( the whole board was replaced ) before I even connected my TT2 to any electricity sockets in my house, I got an electrician to come around check my schit out and everything passed, no faults, no problems.

I’m sure that Chord will figure it out, unless the lock down stays locked down until next year and by then my warranty is up 😃

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #13,124 of 19,009
Get confused about dB and voltage.

As far I remember, DAC mode is 2,5V and it is equal to -5L or -5H and -3H is 3V. So.. 1dB of volume regulator = 0,25V and 0H would be 3,75V or something like that? Please, correct me if I'm wrong. Or confirm if someone understands dB/V better :sweat_smile:

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #13,125 of 19,009
Hi @Amberlamps . Love your humour and I am sorry to hear of your TT2 problems again. One test you could try... while playing a favorite track remove the dc cord from the back of the TT2 and continue listening. You should have 30 sec on supercaps to rule out the ps brick and ground loops. If there is still an issue remove the mscaler and try the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back